Legacy GT-B

hansvonaxion

Car(s)
Legacy GT-B
So I picked this up the day of the earthquake and was driving home when it hit. I was on a small bridge when the earthquake started and they usually move around a bit when trucks go over so I figured that was what I was feeling but this seemed a bit violent. I looked around to see if there were some young thugs having a go - rocking my ride.

The traffic moved forward and the rocking got worse and I finally twigged that it was an earthquake, people started pouring out onto the street, traffic didn't move despite the lights changing to green, I looked up at the buildings swaying expecting one - or part of one - to come crashing down on me but nothing fell. When it finally stopped, after what seemed like an eternity, I made my way over Rainbow bridge, not knowing whether it would still be there (I wonder how much it swayed in the quake - I was about 30 seconds away).

When I got over I saw the fire and headed over to take a couple of pics of that.

Anyway, sorry for the crappy pics and lack of proof pic, I'll sort that out when things have settled down a bit.

At first I was going to keep it completely stock, then I spent a couple of days searching used parts and now I'm back to where I think I'll keep it stock, at least for a while.

Basics
1996 GT-B wagon
Black
5MT
EJ20R 206kW 280hp
338Nm
1430kg (it's actually lighter than the STi wagon, the Evo wagon and an Evo X)
50,000km's 30,000miles

Mods

Exterior
HID's
Prova bonnet dampers

Interior
Eclipse AVN557HD
Addzest SRT1680HX front components
Kenwood KFC-S1600 rear mids + Kenwood tweeters
Rockford Fosgate 5.3x 5ch amp
PPI 12" sub in sealed box
Rear DVD player for the kid to watch DVD's

Engine/Performance
Prova ECU
Zero/Sports straight through centre pipe
Apex'i N1 Bomber 3 axle back
Zero/Sports sequential controller
Zerosports air filter
Earthing kit

Rims
-

Possible To Do's
Custom CAI - swap BG scoop for stock BH scoop or just snorkus delete
Rims - maybe gold BH Legacy, I like 'em and they're cheap
Replace/remove the tint

legacy01.jpg

legacy02.jpg

legacy03.jpg

I was thinking of calling it the "long black limousine" (for those of you old enough to know who Grace Jones is) but me not being black kind of makes that even weirder, so I didn't. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I really do like fast Legacies, and yours seems to be really nice example.

I hope everything is going to be okay there!

Congrats, nice ride.

And inspired by a line from the second HHGG book, how about the Hyper Hearse? I realise that may sound a little grim in light of what happened on Friday but it does rather fit the performance and the colour.

I was thinking of calling it the "long black limousine" (for those of you old enough to know who Grace Jones is) but me not being black kind of makes that even weirder, so I didn't. Suggestions welcome.

It does rhyme nicely with "Drive it in between".

1996 Black GT-B with 50k on the clock. If I ever visit Japan, you are so giving me a spin.
2iv1qp0.png

At least you can change your car info from "between cars" to "between fill ups".

And I'm insanely jealous as a former Impreza WRX wagon owner that you've found such an awesome and mint example there. Fingers crossed they fix the roads and infrastructure there so you can start to get out and enjoy it.

You'll find it far more entertaining than MMA. ;)

http://img143.imageshack.**/img143/96/asdfii.jpg

I so would love that as a second car!

And wow....50k on the clock? That is a gem!

Last edited:
Starting to think maybe it's cursed. I went to get petrol and was waiting in a long line for the petrol station to open and there was a cement mixer behind me waiting to turn into a construction site, the driver got out to check what the hold up was and didn't put his parking brake on... crash!

I was mistaken quoting the lyrics before, should have been, "pull up, to it, don't drive, through it"

Grace Jones was a prophet.

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/ha/hansvonaxion/2011/03/18/bumperdamage.jpg

Son Of A.......

My friend Branden would be SO jealous of your car. He has a black '99 here that he just got the engine from an '05 WRX swapped into. Transmission is JDM, though. He is in LOVE with it now. I'll be sure to show him your ride.

they have insurance in japan, rite?

I hope that you collect some insurance form that.

They'll pay for the repairs but I won't "collect" anything. Most accidents I end up feeling bad for the person who caused the crash... this driver was an old guy and he called my wife to apologise and say he was quitting his job because he's mad some mistakes but not to worry, his company would fix everything. :(

My friend Branden would be SO jealous of your car. He has a black '99 here that he just got the engine from an '05 WRX swapped into. Transmission is JDM, though. He is in LOVE with it now. I'll be sure to show him your ride.

I don't see why he's be jealous, his car is newer with a fresher engine! And that would be a single turbo, right? The valley of death (dead spot between the turbos) is a bit annoying when accelerating from low in the rev range, it's even got me thinking sequential controller.

The speakers were rooted so I bought some used mids to replace the stock and kept the stock tweeters. Will keep an eye out on Yahoo auction (no Ebay in Japan) for some decent splits for the front and probably put the "new" mids in the back.

Originals.

speakerold1.jpg

After I got them out they were well and truly destroyed.

speakerold2.jpg

And the new mids in place.

speakernew1.jpg

Don't know if I'm coming or going.

doubleteamed.jpg

Aww! I had a person back into my new car right after I bought it (poked a hole in my back bumper) and then a sign fell on the front end...all within, gosh, a month of buying it?

No troubles since, thank goodness. Hopefully your couple eeks are over with!