Autoblog: Legalize It: Horchaus federalizing non-U.S. Audis for North America

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
We're going back and forth on this one. Do we file it under "We'll believe it when we see it" or "Pinch me I'm dreaming"? Either way, we get to sub-tag it, "Thank God for rich friends." That's right y'all, Audi is allowing Horchaus, the Canadian distributor MTM, to federalize some special four-ringers for American consumption. These are the real deal, hopped-up German Audis, straight from the tweaker factory.

As we're sure you all know, Audi keeps a whole bunch of extra spicy models back in Europe. Why? The excuses typically involve some song and dance about Americans not wanting high performance station wagons (as if), though in the case of the RS4 Avant (arguably the most desirable car we can't buy), the U.S. prohibition was because the rear-mounted battery didn't pass DOT certification...

So which cars can we now get via Horchaus? The RS4 Avant, RS4 Convertible, S3, the RS6 sedan and RS6 Avant, Q7 V12 TDI and TT RS. And there's something else to note: Since Euro-tuner MTM is involved in the equation, these cars can be pumped up a bit over stock. One example would be the twin-turbo V10 in the RS6 upped from a paltry 580 horsepower to a more appropriate 735 hp.

That said, Horchaus's pricing announcement is leading us back to the "We'll believe it when we see it" category. Using nothing but a straight Euros-to-dollars conversion rate, the RS6 would cost you about $150,000. However, Horchaus is saying it can be yours for just $107,600. Here's where it gets hinky. Supposedly Horchaus can sell you a R8 V10 5.2 FSI for $98,000, which is mucho less expensive than Audi USA sells them for (the last one we drove cost $172,250). We don't believe this last bit. Still, will us Americanos be able to get two of the hottest wagons in the world?

:drool:
Wonder why the RS2 isn't covered. Hopefully it will be grandfathered in because its old.

Last edited:
the U.S. prohibition was because the rear-mounted battery didn't pass DOT certification...

Huh just about every Volvo build on the old S60/S80, including the V70/XC70 and XC90, platform has the battery in the back smashed right up against the back of the rear bumper. How is it a problem in the Audi wagon?

I was a bit confused about that too. My 1997 Audi A6 Avant's battery was under the rear seat.

Is the RS6 really not available in the USA???

Awesome, I love some of the Audis which we have to miss out on. The bargain prices doesn't sound believable to me though, considering the price of importing plus sorting out the DOT issues in the case of the RS4 Avant. Anyone know how they might be able to offer such low prices, or is it really a lie?

Huh just about every Volvo build on the old S60/S80, including the V70/XC70 and XC90, platform has the battery in the back smashed right up against the back of the rear bumper. How is it a problem in the Audi wagon?

Maybe the issue isn't how far back it's positioned, although I can't imagine what else it could be.

Is the RS6 really not available in the USA???

Yes it isn't, and I believe it never has been.

Last edited:
My guess is that the battery is in a different position than the regular A6-type which means that it would require separate crash certification (three cars to be destroyed, minimum, plus several months wait). Since they probably figured that they wouldn't sell many in the US, they didn't bother.

Wow... thats really new for me. I thought these cars were especially for the US market, because hardly anybody can afford to run one here :p

Like the AMG's or M's. As far as I know the US sales are far higher than here. I always assumed Audi must be the same.

We had the previous-gen RS6 sedan here, but never the avant and never the current gen cars.
Miatas have the battery basically right behind one of the taillights... Its probably what Spectre said about crash testing :(

Yeah, some of our regs are quite asinine.

By the way, the limit in the US for the "unlisted import" category is 25 years. I have to wait another 5 years to get an XJ220, for example.

If you get an XJ220 I will have to meet up with you to see it.

If you get an XJ220 I will have to meet up with you to see it.

Honestly, probably not going to happen. It's more likely that I'll get an XJ220 or XJ13 replica and put that together the way I want it.

^With more or less turbo lag? :lol:

I've seen a Nissan X-Trail with Texas plates before, so there's some sort of loophole. Also, I'm sure there's a way to purchase and register a car in Mexico (use a PO Box as an address maybe?) and then store it in your garage.

Last edited:
Less, considering that the prototype XJ220 had a 500hp V12 and AWD. I'd rather prefer that configuration.

Texas also allows registration-only for vehicles titled elsewhere, which is unusual.

Last edited:

The older V8 biturbo RS6 was available in the united states.
StratRS6.jpg

I want a tt rs for the sexy inline 5. mmmm

also want RS6 for sexy twin turbo v10

even mildy interested in the Q7...mmm v12

Yeah, some of our regs are quite asinine.

By the way, the limit in the US for the "unlisted import" category is 25 years. I have to wait another 5 years to get an XJ220, for example.

Yes, so you can start bringing in non-NAS Defenders now.

^With more or less turbo lag? :lol:

I've seen a Nissan X-Trail with Texas plates before, so there's some sort of loophole. Also, I'm sure there's a way to purchase and register a car in Mexico (use a PO Box as an address maybe?) and then store it in your garage.

There is a guy I have met a couple of times up in Mass that brings in 1998-2000 TDI/TD5 Defenders through a funky set of loopholes. He re-VINs them as 1997 models, don't ask me how he gets that through, and is able to title them in Mass.

I have seen the titles he has tried to sell us a couple of them every once in a while but as they are gray market cars and we can't run them through an auction we won't buy them.

Nope the first gen RS6 was sold in the US, I test drove one it was quite the beast. You can find tons of used ones on autotrader.com

Less, considering that the prototype XJ220 had a 500hp V12 and AWD. I'd rather prefer that regulation.

Texas also allows registration-only for vehicles titled elsewhere, which is unusual.

More info on the part not-underlined :blink:

Honestly, probably not going to happen. It's more likely that I'll get an XJ220 or XJ13 replica and put that together the way I want it.

what cars do they use as basis to make an XJ220 replica?

all the ones i can think about, i'd rather have in their original form than be made into a fake xj220