Lens Flair

Thanks! But, I know my sensor/lenses need a clean :p. I haven't cleaned it since I got it (I have got a cleaning kit, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right etc - any tips/ideas?).

And I take a single RAW, separate it into 5 exposure TIFs in Photoshop, then use Photomatix to merge them together and tweak it etc.

Did you buy Photomatix?

Well I more of...sort of...I...no.

What did you use at the back? Just white glossy paper or do you have a proper curtain thing? And lighting?

Just a white cloth with a strobe aimed at it to overexpose it, hence the nice clear white background :D

Dan, I'd love to know how you sorted the illumination. External flash?

Dan, I'd love to know how you sorted the illumination. External flash?

2 flashes :) One lighting the background, and another on low power lighting the object (in this case, a banana :D)

That's lens, if the spec was on the sensor, it would be in full focus. ;)

Umm, no. That indeed is sensor crap. It depends on the size of the dust spec and the aperture used how it shows up in the final image. If the spec is big enough you might see it at apertures f/5.6 or even larger, in which case it looks like a large disc (only a bit darker than the background), like in this case. And when you use a smaller aperture, the spec turns up smaller but darker (so it's easier to notice).

Merete's Butterfly has just reminded me of one of my photos from last December that I never got around to putting up. Not quite bright enough, unfortunately, but the butterfly didn't have the patience for me!!! :)

Still...:

BrazilButterfly-800.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mg/mgkdk/2008/06/12/DSC_2775.JPG

Maybe I should have done something about the background on the left, but meh.