Lens Flair

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/al/alok/2008/08/06/Andi.jpg

Rally Finland 2008 - more @ http://www.rallyphotos.cz/photos/nesterallyfinland2008/
43.jpg

^neat. You must have swung the camera pretty fast to grab that motion blur at 1/160 :)

It may not be fast, but it sure as hell will go where many others cant. A local rescue unit's modified Nissan Patrol.

offroader.jpg

The Color of a Hypercar
2736437919_cd1d6d0d0d_b.jpg

I have more from this series which I'll be posting. I'll give you a hint on what else I got pictures of: GT, 599, R8, C16.

Cheers,

Jeff

I took this one through the window last night. I thought it might make for a neat effect.

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2008/08/06/2008-08-06_The_sky_is_falling.jpg

I'll try it again in nearer to Christmas time when when the clearer sky, snow on the evergreens and Christmas lights on the overhang should make for something much nicer.

How can you set up your camera for such enormous exposure times? I know that you have to use a tripod to make the camera stable for the entire period. But how long is the exposure period and how can it be achieved?

I don't actually have a "real" tripod at the moment (still shopping for one), just a table-top tripod that I got for 8 bucks:

06021310.jpg

But it does the job reasonably well for my D40 with the plastic 18-55 kit lens, although I wouldn't expect it to hold anything much heavier, like metal-constructed lenses or higher-end camera bodies.

For that particular picture, the exposure time was about 6:46 (minutes:seconds). The way you achieve it is by setting the mode dial to M (manual), wheeling the shutter all the way down to bulb mode and adjusting your other settings as necessary (wide aperture, low ISO). In bulb mode, one press of the shutter release button will open the shutter and a second press will close it. For this kind of thing, though, you really need a remote, which I have. The same principle applies: one press of the button on the remote opens the shutter, the next press closes it. So, open the shutter, set a timer for however long you want your exposure to be and close the shutter when the timer goes off.

However, the D40 will only allow exposures up to 30 minutes, after which it will automatically close the shutter. I've found that 30 minutes is too long, even in the sleepy little town where I live. You need to be way out in the boonies, away from urban centres with unnatural lighting, to use exposures longer than 5-10 minutes with good results.

I don't actually have a "real" tripod at the moment (still shopping for one), just a table-top tripod that I got for 8 bucks:

06021310.jpg

But it does the job reasonably well for my D40 with the plastic 18-55 kit lens, although I wouldn't expect it to hold anything much heavier, like metal-constructed lenses or higher-end camera bodies.

For that particular picture, the exposure time was about 6:46 (minutes:seconds). The way you achieve it is by setting the mode dial to M (manual), wheeling the shutter all the way down to bulb mode and adjusting your other settings as necessary (wide aperture, low ISO). In bulb mode, one press of the shutter release button will open the shutter and a second press will close it. For this kind of thing, though, you really need a remote, which I have. The same principle applies: one press of the button on the remote opens the shutter, the next press closes it. However, the D40 will only allow exposures up to 30 minutes, after which it will automatically close the shutter. I've found that 30 minutes is too long, even in the sleepy little town where I live. You need to be way out in the boonies, away from urban centres with unnatural lighting, to use exposures longer than 5-10 minutes with good results.

Highly relevant advice for me. Except for the tripod, I've got basically the same equipment (D40 with the basic 18-55 lens). Thanks for the tips.

^ I still don't get how you do it. My camera has a max exposure time of 30seconds... Do you just open the shutter for an hour in the menu 'for cleaning' etc?

not sure about other cameras, but on Canon if you go past 30" exposure, the mode changes to bulb and then the exposures takes as long as you hold the shutter button. (so having a remote controller where you can lock it is really useful)