Lens Flair

I saw batman again last night hence 'inspiration' :p

Hows this? No post whatsoever :O

3191292858_cb1ded8e6f_o.jpg

(It's almost a new day)

Nice! How'd you get access to the heraldsun rooftop?

Nice! How'd you get access to the heraldsun rooftop?

I could tell you I was game and did some of that French martial arts stuff jumping up and down all over the place, or I could tell you I went next door to the multi level car park, took the elevator to the roof and then adjusted the camera to make it look like I was on the Herald Sun building. :p

Mmmm, chromeyness...

3195561041_0583d51f79.jpg

By the way, a quick question - When shooting indoors and it's at the point where you have to use a flash, is there a particular mode which is more suited to cars? (I've only got the stocko flash and it's not overly practicle using a tripod). I fiddled around a bit but couldn't find a good balance, tending to just leave a small area bright enough and the rest way to dark. Any tips?

Last edited:

That's a very nice reportage photo. It's a detail, but details are the underpinnings of every reportage, you did well.

The only niggle I've got is that it seems to have a wee bit too much contrast and that it seems to need some color correction, I'd hazard to say it's got too much red in it. And my screen has too much yellow in it, so when something looks red, it is red.

I do see the relevance of keeping it a bit red, as it's about blood, but I'd like to see it neutralized nonetheless.

As for the composition, it works like a dream.

You haven't thouth about getting a faster lens? I think that shot might have worked a little better if you'd used a bit more tele and a wider aperture. I'd think of a Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 18-50, as those would allow you those luxuries.

Though, I am partial to wide angle, and I do like the way you've gotten the detail shot that way too, but it never hurts to try different options.

Nice shot nonetheless. Sorry for rambling on for seven paragraphs. :)

Edit: amadeus:

Nice rusticale shot. Only problem is that it's got a slightly tilted perspective, that you were looking up. That sort of motive begs you to photograph straight on (in most cases), and I think it would have improved that shot immensly. But I do think you are on to something. Keep it up, it's a great motive.

:)

Last edited:
You haven't thouth about getting a faster lens? I think that shot might have worked a little better if you'd used a bit more tele and a wider aperture. I'd think of a Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 18-50, as those would allow you those luxuries.
I have both a 28/2.8 Series E and 50/1.8 series E, but they are both manual focus lenses (and none of Nikon's excellent AF-D primes would AF on the D40 anyway) and I didn't exactly have a hand available for focusing ;)

The only niggle I've got is that it seems to have a wee bit too much contrast and that it seems to need some color correction, I'd hazard to say it's got too much red in it. And my screen has too much yellow in it, so when something looks red, it is red.
My personal style is to get warmth and contrast with indoor photos. If the colour is off, it's because I'm colourblind and because I'm working on my laptop's LCD, which is a bit dull compared to my external LCD at home.

Last edited:
Hehe, I see the point. :)

Dr Q, that's amazing, so sharp you can see the water drops on the swans head, really pretty!
Your last 2 shots were great ;)

Thanks, I'm not too hot generally in PhotoShop but I'm quite pleased with how these black and white shots have come out. I have a few left now but I don't know if they really work :blink:.