Lens Flair

3203620608_89026aa5a3.jpg

Bringing it to this page:

Studio session today @ class. Cute classmate with umbrella and wind machine. :D No flash, just 1 kino flo light.

A tripod or something that you could lean the camera on would have helped, also setting ISO to 100 and focusing it better. Nice experimentation with exposure times.

A tripod or something that you could lean the camera on would have helped, also setting ISO to 100 and focusing it better. Nice experimentation with exposure times.

Well it was on a tripod. ISO was set to 400 IIRC (I've only got a minimum of 200 on my D40) and exposure time was 1 second. I tried to focus on the water, but it might have gone wrong there. And the ledge also looks blurred because of that...

And could it also have had something to do with the low light outside? I took the photo pretty much at sunset, in a site surrounded by buildings.

Last edited:
Looks like you shook it. :S Try setting it on a timer, set the aperture to f/11 (this will give you maximum sharpness) and let the exposure open for several seconds.

Well it was on a tripod. ISO was set to 400 IIRC (I've only got a minimum of 200 on my D40) and exposure time was 1 second. I tried to focus on the water, but it might have gone wrong there. And the ledge also looks blurred because of that...

And could it also have had something to do with the low light outside? I took the photo pretty much at sunset, in a site surrounded by buildings.

There's no need to use a high ISO if you're using a tripod. ISO is the "last resort" of exposure for digital when you don't have a tripod. Once you've got the correct exposure, it's just simple math: you could have used 2 seconds at ISO 200 (instead of 1 second at ISO 400). Your uploaded image file doesn't have EXIF, but I'm guessing you used the kit lens wide open at the long end (f/5.6, 55mm). Stop down the aperture to get a larger depth of field and have the ledge (more) in focus. Again, math:

• f/5.6, ISO 200, 2 seconds
  • f/8, ISO 200, 4 seconds
  • f/11, ISO 200, 8 seconds

See the pattern?

Also, it's ideal to use a remote for extended exposures. The ML-L3 IR remote for the D40 is only $15. A timer would work, too, as long as you're not doing bulb exposures (in the case of the D40, exposures longer than 30 seconds)

Last edited:
There's no need to use a high ISO if you're using a tripod. ISO is the "last resort" of exposure for digital when you don't have a tripod. Once you've got the correct exposure, it's just simple math: you could have used 2 seconds at ISO 200 (instead of 1 second at ISO 400). Your uploaded image file doesn't have EXIF, but I'm guessing you used the kit lens wide open at the long end (f/5.6, 55mm). Stop down the aperture to get a larger depth of field and have the ledge (more) in focus. Again, math:

• f/5.6, ISO 200, 2 seconds
  • f/8, ISO 200, 4 seconds
  • f/11, ISO 200, 8 seconds

See the pattern?

Also, it's ideal to use a remote for extended exposures. The ML-L3 IR remote for the D40 is only $15. A timer would work, too, as long as you're not doing bulb exposures (in the case of the D40, exposures longer than 30 seconds)

You're right about the kit lens bit (I might be stuck on it for a few more years...), and I'm not sure about being able to get a remote, since I had to spend my money on the tripod. At least it helped me get some decent pano shots today.

Anyway, thanks a lot both to you and to Ice for your tips. I'm really trying to get into photography, currently as a pastime and an activity to get my mind off school and all the problems that come with it.

Bringing it to this page:

Studio session today @ class. Cute classmate with umbrella and wind machine. :D No flash, just 1 kino flo light.

Nice, but I'd like to see her face. The hair just gets in the way.

The built-in timer will work just fine for timed exposures.
On this note, with my D60 I can set the timer down to 2s or 5s from the default 10s. I'm sure it's the same with the D40, just have to futz with the menus for a bit. It's nice to be able to use a timer to start the exposure, but not wait around 10s before the camera clicks.

It's been quite cold for the last few days, finally a proper winter weather. While on a walk today I saw a small stream flowing down a hill and through some pipes under the road, had to take a photo of the cool ice formations :) Too bad it was in the middle of the woods and the sun was already setting, so it was quite gray and dull considering the light.

full

It was windy!

Need some advice re: what to shoot. Lately, the weather has been crap. Not "I dont want to go outside" crap. But crap for photography. It's been foggy and overcast every day, meaning everything is either well lit by this dull gray-ness or visibility is all of 10 feet. Anyone have some suggestions? I've been trying to get out and go walking every day and trying to shoot what I can but it feels like the weather is working against me.

The built-in timer will work just fine for timed exposures.

On this note, with my D60 I can set the timer down to 2s or 5s from the default 10s. I'm sure it's the same with the D40, just have to futz with the menus for a bit. It's nice to be able to use a timer to start the exposure, but not wait around 10s before the camera clicks.
Yes, you can set up the timer with different times, and yes, it works well (I used it before I got myself a remote). Note however that on the D40, the timer is being switched off after every use. So if you want to make more timer shots, you have to get into the menu and put it on timer before every shot.

3205149888_36a3672675_o.jpg

Yes, you can set up the timer with different times, and yes, it works well (I used it before I got myself a remote). Note however that on the D40, the timer is being switched off after every use. So if you want to make more timer shots, you have to get into the menu and put it on timer before every shot.
Does the D40 body have the Fn button under the flash button? Unless you've reprogrammed the button it will activate your timer for your next shot. That way your not using the menu system each time. Just set the default timer to 2s or 5s, and leave the Fn button on timer and you're golden!

epp_b, I was looking at that and trying to do something similar if I get a chance. I had looked at street lights the last few nights even before seeing that picture and thought they'd be good but never saw one that piqued my interest when I had my camera.

Does the D40 body have the Fn button under the flash button? Unless you've reprogrammed the button it will activate your timer for your next shot. That way your not using the menu system each time. Just set the default timer to 2s or 5s, and leave the Fn button on timer and you're golden!
Yes it does, and you can do that. I didn't think of it since I use the Fn button for changing the ISO. ;)