Lens Flair

Unless you were going for the high key look, you could try sorting out the levels to get the whites white and the blacks black. Something like this.
Well, while I'm quite happy with the results, I would like to learn what ever it is you're trying to say. But the link is borked, unless you want me to sign up at a singles sight.

Ugh... the dns still not sorted... one moment.

Here we go:

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2009/01/20/levels.jpg

The basic gist of it is that in an 8 bit jpeg picture, you have 256 shades of grey from completely black to completely white. Now in your photo, the histogram, which shows the distribution of those shades along the entire supported spectrum wasn't completely filled up. So your darkest colour wasn't black and your lightest colour wasn't white either.

So what you do, is open up the levels editor and adjust the sliders like so:

photoshop_levels_dialog_adjusted.png

The left side represents darker shades, the right one lighter. You push the left slider to where the histogram begins and the right one to where it ends. That way you turn your black and white photo from having a range of dark grey to light grey to a range of black to white. All the shades in between are adjusted to compensate.

You can and should do this with all photos that you don't intend to keep in low or high key (predominantly dark without any completely white bits or predominatly light without any completely black bits) and it works in colour too. You can either set it as an average RGB histogram or for each channel separately. That way you ensure you have the perfect balance of colour in your photo. But then again, it's up to you if you even want to do that.

3213662533_3dc87f041a_o.jpg

I know the DOF could be better but point n shoot + short tolerance for retakes + sleepy = fail. I will probably mess around with it again.

Last edited:
Ugh... the dns still not sorted... one moment.

Here we go:

*snip*

The basic gist of it is that in an 8 bit jpeg picture, you have 256 shades of grey from completely black to completely white. Now in your photo, the histogram, which shows the distribution of those shades along the entire supported spectrum wasn't completely filled up. So your darkest colour wasn't black and your lightest colour wasn't white either.

So what you do, is open up the levels editor and adjust the sliders like so:
*snip*

The left side represents darker shades, the right one lighter. You push the left slider to where the histogram begins and the right one to where it ends. That way you turn your black and white photo from having a range of dark grey to light grey to a range of black to white. All the shades in between are adjusted to compensate.

You can and should do this with all photos that you don't intend to keep in low or high key (predominantly dark without any completely white bits or predominatly light without any completely black bits) and it works in colour too. You can either set it as an average RGB histogram or for each channel separately. That way you ensure you have the perfect balance of colour in your photo. But then again, it's up to you if you even want to do that.
Well, first, thanks for the tip! I saw in the histogram that it was set in the middle, but didn't think to really change that in any way because I had only really used the histogram for looking at whether I had drastically over/under exposed. I more or less did what you instructed (I'm using Picasa and iPhoto:|), and got more or less the same result. However I think I'm going to stick to the original on this image, I like a few of the details more on it than the newly balanced image. But it's something I'll look at in the future, so thank you very much :D +rep

3205147330_e4483c4c32_o.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.**/img517/1461/dsc01851234fg2.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/8562/sheepda9.jpg

epp, thanks :)

Your photo is also very nice!

+ rep ;-)

Does anybody know why images I upload to flickr aren't available for download at full resolution?

My 10 megapixel photos are maximum like 1200xsomething once uploaded. Do I need a paid account to have full res images?

Does anybody know why images I upload to flickr aren't available for download at full resolution?

My 10 megapixel photos are maximum like 1200xsomething once uploaded. Do I need a paid account to have full res images?

From the Flickr FAQ:

If you have a pro account, we also store your high-resolution originals, which you (and your friends with Pro accounts) can download at anytime. All Pro account holders can access public photos and download the high-resolution (original) size, unless you limit access to the downloadable image.

In other news, here's a photo of my girlfriend with the Grand Canyon as a backdrop:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cv/cvrefugee/2009/01/21/LVnGC44.jpg

^ I read the FAQ. I don't have a Pro account but I seem to be able to download hi res images on certain pictures. Thanks for the help anyhow.

^ I read the FAQ. I don't have a Pro account but I seem to be able to download hi res images on certain pictures. Thanks for the help anyhow.

Must be a fluke, because I also saw this:

If you have a free account, no one (including you) can access your original file. If you upgrade to a pro account, your original files are available for download

I was getting a free Flickr account through my ISP, but now they discontinued that partnership so I just renewed for $25.