Lens Flair

The 14-54 is noticably faster at racking through its focus range, no doubt. The problem is first and foremost that the 50/2.0 is a macro, so it has a very long focus range to get through to decide how long away whatever's in front of it is. A focus limiter switch might have been a decent idea..

Aye... though the lens that I know of that does have a focus limiter would be the 300mm f2.8. Now that's a beast.

I still love my 50mm f2.0 though. :p

Figure I'd better add another shot with the 50 while I'm at it since it's lens flair.

6145126288_3157af0364_z.jpg

Last edited:
Aye... though the lens that I know of that does have a focus limiter would be the 300mm f2.8. Now that's a beast.

I still love my 50mm f2.0 though. :p
It isn't a beast, it's easily hand held. Just you try hand holding a 400/2.8 for a longer period of time, that's a different matter.. :p

I'm continuing the trend posting reshopped old photos. This time, it's a master photographer I photographed for my paper a couple of years ago. Minor adjustments, but they work better.

6200384604_d3481eaa89_o.jpg

It isn't a beast, it's easily hand held. Just you try hand holding a 400/2.8 for a longer period of time, that's a different matter.. :p

I'm continuing the trend posting reshopped old photos. This time, it's a master photographer I photographed for my paper a couple of years ago. Minor adjustments, but they work better.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6156/6200384604_d3481eaa89_o.jpg

There is the 500mm for the 4/3 mount though I can't remember the f-stop, that thing is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooongggggggggggggggggggg.

Though the 300mm is already a beast to me considering the size of it and weight. Plus the price tag which is equivalent to a small car. God knows how my cousin bought that lens but he did.

Here's another older shot from the same event as before. I love my 50mm but the 2x crop factor can be a pain when it doesn't leave me enough room to move around in/crops too close to subject.

6144567673_3b7a90875a_z.jpg

6200384604_d3481eaa89_o.jpg

Very nice texture, framing and lighting. I wish the newspapers around here gave enough of a crap to do quality work like that.

All of the super expensive Zuiko telephoto lenses have that; ZD 35-100/2, ZD 90-250/2,8, ZD 150/2, and the ZD 300/2,8. Today's top tip: Don't try them, they can created cravings. Got close to burning about $2000 on a 35-100 f2...

The MV Boudicca, former Royal Viking Sky, departing Oslo

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ei/eirik/2011/10/01/PA011626.jpg

Struggled a lot with the contrast here... In these conditions there is precious little difference in contrast between the ship and the foggy background. Was supposed to be nice and sunny, but the october sun couldn't burn away the fog...

There is the 500mm for the 4/3 mount though I can't remember the f-stop, that thing is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooongggggggggggggggggggg.

Though the 300mm is already a beast to me considering the size of it and weight. Plus the price tag which is equivalent to a small car. God knows how my cousin bought that lens but he did.
It's a nice lens, no doubt. Reviewed it for a photo site a year ago or so. But I've never really felt more important than the time I was used as a mule to carry two Canon 400/2.8Ls (called a 'bucket' here in Norway), a Canon 300/2.8L, a Nikkor AF-S 300/2.8 and two Canon 200/1.8Ls. That was kind of heavy as well.. I found using the Zuiko 300 without a monopod was heavy, but quite possible. A bucket on the other hand..

Here's another older shot from the same event as before. I love my 50mm but the 2x crop factor can be a pain when it doesn't leave me enough room to move around in/crops too close to subject.

6144567673_3b7a90875a_z.jpg
Yeah, well, that's why I for one went for the PanLeica Summilux 25/1.4 ASPH. It's by far my favorite lens for documentary, and the image quality is quite simply superb. It's not in the same league as the 50/2.0 (very few lenses are), but it's not trying to. It's a lens that renders colors, tonality, contrast and light beautifully, even better than the 50/2.0 in my mind, but it's not as sharp. It's more like an old fashioned lens in that respect, it gives me some of the same tonality I fell in love with when I used the 50/1.2L on a 5D for a couple of days in France. Photography, to me, is about more than technical quality. Take the Nikon D3, D700 and D3s. I love what Nikon has done with the tech in those cameras, they are amazing pieces of technological achievement.

But alas, I can't really use them. They don't give me the colors or the tones I want. I get them in spades from my E-3 (and even the E-5 did it), and a Canon 5D1/2 comes close enough. But I've never used a Nikon which gave me colors I could live with. They just didn't feel right, and therefore didn't fit the bill for me.

That's why I love the 25/1.4 for some applications, it's not strictly speaking perfect. That's why it's perfect. :D

Very nice texture, framing and lighting. I wish the newspapers around here gave enough of a crap to do quality work like that.
Thank you epp. To be quite honest, my paper usually don't spend time to get anything close to that. I'm a hack, and I write as well as photograph. But what I am, when we come down to it, is a bloody photojournalist. I capture moments and faces in frames of photography, it's been my job for a while. So I do it, and so far, I'm the only guy working that sort of photography in my area. There are guys that come close (some of which I've taught to some extent), but the best of those guys don't really have the time to do it anyway. To busy driving ambulances.. :)

It's a pity more and more papers have the brilliant idea that a journalist should be able to do two professional tasks. In truth, most journalists will regard a photographer as a type of unskilled labourer who just press a button, a man with technical ability but no intellectual ability above that you'd find with most young boys. But it's okay, cause we see the journalists as pretensious nerds. But let's face it, photography is as much a profession as good writing. I've done both, so I know what I'm talking about on this subject. Throw in a third professional task to do on location (videography), and you're sure of mediocraty. :p

All of the super expensive Zuiko telephoto lenses have that; ZD 35-100/2, ZD 90-250/2,8, ZD 150/2, and the ZD 300/2,8. Today's top tip: Don't try them, they can created cravings. Got close to burning about $2000 on a 35-100 f2...
That's not burning money. Buying a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo is burning away money. Buying a bottle of Glenmorangie, Highland Park 12 or Caol Ila 12, on the other hand, is a sound investment.

The MV Boudicca, former Royal Viking Sky, departing Oslo

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ei/eirik/2011/10/01/PA011626.jpg

Struggled a lot with the contrast here... In these conditions there is precious little difference in contrast between the ship and the foggy background. Was supposed to be nice and sunny, but the october sun couldn't burn away the fog...
Ended up quite nice. Fog is difficult, but a nice trick is to work with color range selections in Photoshop, it'll do wonders with skies. It's perfectly moral, you're just extracting what's in the file already. :p

That's not burning money. Buying a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo is burning away money. Buying a bottle of Glenmorangie, Highland Park 12 or Caol Ila 12, on the other hand, is a sound investment.
Baring in mind the state of the 4/3-system bodies, I'm not so sure if shelling out big cash for SHG-lenses is such a sound investment. That's the problem with 4/3, the HG and SHG Zuiko lenses are in a league of their own, though that only helps so much when their camera bodies are using an outdated sensor. The E-5 for instance is a good case of "too little, too late" [...] "too expensive for what it is" as well...

Ended up quite nice. Fog is difficult, but a nice trick is to work with color range selections in Photoshop, it'll do wonders with skies. It's perfectly moral, you're just extracting what's in the file already. :p
There is another shot when she is about to disappear into the fog:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ei/eirik/2011/10/01/PA011637.jpg

Not your typical cruising weather...

It's a nice lens, no doubt. Reviewed it for a photo site a year ago or so. But I've never really felt more important than the time I was used as a mule to carry two Canon 400/2.8Ls (called a 'bucket' here in Norway), a Canon 300/2.8L, a Nikkor AF-S 300/2.8 and two Canon 200/1.8Ls. That was kind of heavy as well.. I found using the Zuiko 300 without a monopod was heavy, but quite possible. A bucket on the other hand..

Yeah, well, that's why I for one went for the PanLeica Summilux 25/1.4 ASPH. It's by far my favorite lens for documentary, and the image quality is quite simply superb. It's not in the same league as the 50/2.0 (very few lenses are), but it's not trying to. It's a lens that renders colors, tonality, contrast and light beautifully, even better than the 50/2.0 in my mind, but it's not as sharp. It's more like an old fashioned lens in that respect, it gives me some of the same tonality I fell in love with when I used the 50/1.2L on a 5D for a couple of days in France. Photography, to me, is about more than technical quality. Take the Nikon D3, D700 and D3s. I love what Nikon has done with the tech in those cameras, they are amazing pieces of technological achievement.

But alas, I can't really use them. They don't give me the colors or the tones I want. I get them in spades from my E-3 (and even the E-5 did it), and a Canon 5D1/2 comes close enough. But I've never used a Nikon which gave me colors I could live with. They just didn't feel right, and therefore didn't fit the bill for me.

That's why I love the 25/1.4 for some applications, it's not strictly speaking perfect. That's why it's perfect. :D

I've gotten my grubby hands on the 25/1.4 once... just once and my god was it beautiful. It wasn't perfect as you said, but that was what was nice about it.

Back when I still had the E-500(with the Kodak sensor) and a fellow Olympus user who came along for this shoot gave me the chance to use the 25/1.4...

3782262621_3effa7327d_z.jpg

Camera Olympus E-500
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/2.5
Focal Length 25 mm

Don't mind the harsh editing, this was way back when I had my first DSLR.

marcos_eirik>> I've got the 14-54, 50mm and 40-150(Mk I). I'm planning to get the 50-200/f2.8-3.5 when I can afford it. I've tried the 300/2.8, 25/1.4 and both 50-200(I & II) so far.

I've gotten my grubby hands on the 25/1.4 once... just once and my god was it beautiful. It wasn't perfect as you said, but that was what was nice about it.

Back when I still had the E-500(with the Kodak sensor) and a fellow Olympus user who came along for this shoot gave me the chance to use the 25/1.4...

3782262621_3effa7327d_z.jpg

Camera Olympus E-500
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/2.5
Focal Length 25 mm

Don't mind the harsh editing, this was way back when I had my first DSLR.
The editing is fine, except the border-thingy. Boarders and signatures on photos make me cry..

The E-500 was the last really unusable camera Olympus made. It was just too slow, and the IQ above ISO 100 was comepletely useless. Both of the last photos I've posted were taken with my old E-400. Kodak sensor, but wastly improved compared to the 8mp chip in the E-500. While still useless at ISO 800 and above, it was quite usable at ISO640, at ISO400, it was really neat, and at ISO100, it was superb. The tonality of those old Kodak sensors at low ISO was just wonderful, they were quite sharp as well, with a very conservative AA-filter. Good for studio and for days with good light. Heck, I did handball photography with it, but that was definatly not what it was made for. It fitted that task as well as a knife against twenty guys with SMGs. Another point about the E-400 is that it's a lot faster than the E-500, it's just a lot more responsive. And, of course, that's saying something, cause the E-400 wasn't the most responsive camera in the world anyway.. :)

marcos_eirik>> I've got the 14-54, 50mm and 40-150(Mk I). I'm planning to get the 50-200/f2.8-3.5 when I can afford it. I've tried the 300/2.8, 25/1.4 and both 50-200(I & II) so far.
I've got the old 50-200. It's a very good telezoom, only let down by a lot of hunting. I'd love to get a 50-200 SWD, but I can't justify the upgrade. And it still suffers from hunting.

Edit: Since we're talking about the 25/1.4:

6200119865_86a94074e6_o.jpg

Last edited:
But what I am, when we come down to it, is a bloody photojournalist.
Don't doubt yourself too much. At least from what I've seen you post here, you are good documentary portraitist.

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."
- Bertrand Russell

It's a pity more and more papers have the brilliant idea that a journalist should be able to do two professional tasks.
I couldn't agree with you more. I feel there is a deep apathy amongst most journalism for quality of workmanship. Our local paper's job requirements appear to be, "able to type on a computer, blandly document cold facts and click the shutter button on a camera ... no actual talent nor ability to inspire required."

Throw in a third professional task to do on location (videography), and you're sure of mediocrity.
...and don't forget about unrealistic deadlines with lousy pay. Not even someone with enough passion and talent be able to will deliver quality workmanship under all of those conditions.

Oh, for the days when people used to actually care about something other than the bottom line... (did those days ever exist?)

Last edited:
Don't doubt yourself too much. At least from what I've seen you post here, you are good documentary portraitist.

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."
- Bertrand Russell
'Photojournalist' is a badge of honor to me, it entails all manners of documentary photography. :)

I couldn't agree with you more. I feel there is a deep apathy amongst most journalism for quality of workmanship. Our local paper's job requirements appear to be, "able to type on a computer, blandly document cold facts and click the shutter button on a camera ... no actual talent nor ability to inspire required."
I'm sure they demand other qualities when it comes to writing, and more importantly, reading people and finding the cold facts. Writing in itself isn't the most important bit of journalism, the important bit is finding the facts, cause that's what it's all about. There's a couple of types of journalism where this isn't strictly true (portrait interviews, feature reportage and reportage), but in the end, that's the most important qualities. :)

...and don't forget about unrealistic deadlines with lousy pay. Not even someone with enough passion and talent be able to will deliver quality workmanship under all of those conditions.

Oh, for the days when people used to actually care about something other than the bottom line... (did those days ever exist?)
Those days did exist. And most papers were like that. Then again, most papers were a lot more political in those days. You actually had proper party press in those days. You had stuff like "Hurrah from the Blackshirts!", curtisy of Lord Rothermere's Daily Mail. :p

Sorry for the odd watermark, I was a second photographer at a gig, all photos are actual property of the lead guy.

img1014.jpg

Nice photo Icebone, but I have to say that's wonky intellectual property laws you've got. Here in Norway, the intellectual ownership of intellectual property can't be transferred legally. Only the right to use intellectual property can be transferred, as a photographer, you'll always own the basic rights to your photo. Weird.

*shrug* I got employed by the other guy, had to use his gear to ensure the same quality of photos (the 300mm f/2.8 is divine, 5D MkII's AF sucks donkey balls) and had specific instructions as to what to shoot.

Would still not change a damned thing in Norway. :p Over here, you can sign away the right to sell the photo, but you still retain rights for the photo. It's always your photo. It's even (technically) illegal to publish a photo without a byline. That one's ignored daily, though.

:)