Lens Flair

Took this one in Grand Central Station, all I had on was a 50mm & the lighting was poor. But there's always a Black Sheep in the Bunch :D

6421183649_58e9c199b0_b.jpg

First attempt at a star photo. Bit annoyed at the plane that went over (trail of lights from top RH corner) but meh. Too cold by this point to wait for it to fly away and try another shot!

So that's what's up there_291111 by Aitch2803, on Flickr

What were your shot settings?

EOS 7D with 18mm lens, ISO 500, f3.5, 13sec exposure. It was underexposed by ~1 stop. Next time I try it (with more thermals on!) I want to zoom in more. I also want to capture star trails caused by the earth's rotation, so I know I need a longer exposure, but this time I was going for pin-prick-stars. My main problem is light pollution - I have to drive quite a way to get away from streetlights. This was taken from my back garden; I live on a dual carriageway, so it's not the darkest setting!

Last edited:
EOS 7D with 18mm lens, ISO 500, f3.5, 13sec exposure. It was underexposed by ~1 stop. Next time I try it (with more thermals on!) I want to zoom in more. I also want to capture star trails caused by the earth's rotation, so I know I need a longer exposure, but this time I was going for pin-prick-stars. My main problem is light pollution - I have to drive quite a way to get away from streetlights. This was taken from my back garden; I live on a dual carriageway, so it's not the darkest setting!

ISO not high enough for pin prick star shot and yes light pollution is the biggest problem. I think we've had this discussion before on this thread about needs for good star shots. Getting good light trails require exposures on the order of 30-60 min and a remote shutter trigger.

5925937651_1c2c874c60_b.jpg

DSC_2027.jpg

Meh, I'm rusty. And had to run a lot for this one. And I'm far rustier with respect to running.

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/ta/taiga86/2011/11/14/DSC_9224.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/ta/taiga86/2011/08/28/DSC04789.jpg