Lens Flair

I'm recently back from a deployment with a backlog of great shots from exotic places like Spain, Portugal, and Gibraltar so I'm going to be busy in this thread for a while.

Pied Fantail (Rhipidura javanica) by alabang, on Flickr

Pied Fantails are named for their habit of fanning out their beautiful long tails. It has been suggested that by revealing the white tips of the tail, insects are startled into movement.

Pied Fantails eat mainly insects. Unlike their relatives the flycatchers, Fantails forage close to the ground in the dark understorey, perching on a root or low branch, teetering at the ready to launch into flight. They catch their prey on the wing and rarely miss. Their broad bill is ringed with spines (rictal bristles) which may help them catch insects even in the dim light of the understorey.

They move actively in the undergrowth, lurching from perch to perch; dashing in acrobatic flights. They make short flights from one cover to the next. They are generally quite inquisitive and not shy. They hunt alone or in pairs.

Source: http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/birds/Rhipidura_javanica.htm

EXIF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabang/8585308991/meta/in/photostream

I'm recently back from a deployment with a backlog of great shots from exotic places like Spain, Portugal, and Gibraltar so I'm going to be busy in this thread for a while.

Monkey* is disappoint.

*Yes, I know they are called Barbary Apes but they are in fact a tail-less species of macaque and therefore monkeys.

Last edited:
These monkeys were just so damn photogenic! Although a few seconds after this was taken he dropped his cup and grabbed the end on my lens. :lol:

Possession by Mr. Photographist, on Flickr

I'm new to this SLR thing...

IMG_0127.JPG

PLEASE critique. I'm having trouble making the images pop. Is post processing required?

Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3) with the standard lens and no filters.

Last edited:
PLEASE critique. I'm having trouble making the images pop. Is post processing required?
Well one way to make pictures to pop is to have nice lighting, evening sun for example is great way to get nice light..
This of course depends which kind of mood you want to have in your pictures.. Darker / Murkier lighting suits also for some shots.

And yes some post processing is normally required for photos. Its up to you how much is enough or too much. And feel free to post "try outs", im sure someone will comment on em

Last edited:
I'm having trouble making the images pop. Is post processing required?

Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3) with the standard lens and no filters.

This is before and after.

It helps. Also setting up the camera correctly is key. I have it set for post processing, rather than have the camera do it. It's all up to you.

Dicked around with the settings on the camera. Apparently there's something called "light compensation" that was turned on. Turn that off this time.

_MG_0241.JPG

So the warp drive nacelles on your truck are underneath?

Note to self: use my 35mm prime at sunset more often. This was taken straight off the camera. Shot at Liverpool dockside.

Dockside by Mr. Photographist, on Flickr