Lens Flair

CSC_1056.JPG

Reactions: lip
^^ very nice

Magnificent Sunbird (Aethopyga magnifica) by alabang, on Flickr

The magnificent sunbird (Aethopyga magnifica) is a species of bird in the sunbird family which feed largely on nectar, although they will also take insects, especially when feeding young. Flight is fast and direct on their short wings. Most species can take nectar by hovering like a hummingbird, but usually perch to feed most of the time. It is endemic to the Philippines, and was once considered a subspecies of the crimson sunbird.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnificent_sunbird

Settings: 1/500 f/5.6 800mm ISO 2500

Reactions: MWF
Can I offer you some constructive criticism without you getting all butthurt? Well I am going to anyway.

First one. What is the subject of this photo? Were you shooting for an architectural history publication and a girl wandered into shot? She is great and the lighting and contrast are good but why not shoot portrait and leave her legs and the rest of her head intact? You still keep the interest of the window and the angular lives contrasting with her curves but it would have been a much better shot.

Some of your other recent efforts were similar, too much background when a bit more care with the composition would have made them great.

Lovely shot, but zoom out a fraction and she is better framed and isn't bleeding off the edge of the picture. Same with the brunette up page or on the previous one. Unless you have a serious amputee fetish in which case...... Great light and contrast though.

Great feedback MWF! I agree on what you said there.

I saw your comment on my photo as well. To be honest, the lighting sucked and I was hoping for more contrast on the buildings vs the harbor to make it *pop* versus losing it in the blue of the water and sky. I guess I'll just have to go back and try again ;)

Thanks! But, it's too hard to explain. The whole body doesn't need to be shown for anyone to know there is a whole body. There's been debates for years whether images should be clipped or not clipped. Everyone has their preference. Obviously, mine is to clip. It's more interesting to me. Otherwise, it's looks too textbook and boring...something someone just starting out would do because they watch too many Youtube videos; or because they think they have to follow some kind of rule.

I'm not comparing myself to these photographers, but, just off the top of my head:
Peter Hurley
Emily Soto

Last edited:
Thanks! But, it's too hard to explain. The whole body doesn't need to be shown for anyone to know there is a whole body. There's been debates for years whether images should be clipped or not clipped. Everyone has their preference. Obviously, mine is to clip. It's more interesting to me. Otherwise, it's looks too textbook and boring...something someone just starting out would do because they watch too many Youtube videos; or because they think they have to follow some kind of rule.

I'm not comparing myself to these photographers, but, just off the top of my head:
Peter Hurley
Emily Soto

I totally agree. There are some photos I've taken where I've not cropped the subject at all, but then in post, found clipping the edges a bit brings a different mood to the image. I also kind of get what MWF is saying, and would be interested in seeing the second photo without the top of her head and the shoe in the frame, or cropped a bit closer. To my untrained eye, the clip isn't quite enough to make it interesting (to me). The beauty of art is we all appreciate it differently, and are left to our own taste to determine what we want to portray.