Lens Flair

Nice pics! - Especially the last one. I do love me some cool castle/tower. I assume it's somewhere close to Freiburg, but where exactly?
Berg Sponeck - https://goo.gl/maps/s8dvktGKDeTQtn5R8

What’s been nice is if I want to go somewhere on the weekend, I just search for “ruin” or castle or whatever and there’s always something. I love it.

What’s been nice is if I want to go somewhere on the weekend, I just search for “ruin” or castle or whatever and there’s always something. I love it.
Are you saying that the German tourism industry is in ruins? 😐

I took my 200-500mm lens out for a test run yesterday, waited until now so I didn't post right after @93Flareside after a month of no replies here. Not bad for a 10 year old camera body, will be even better when the Z9 turns up. 5 months since I ordered it now...

Last edited:
Are you saying that the German tourism industry is in ruins? 😐

I took my 200-500mm lens out for a test run yesterday, waited until now so I didn't post right after @93Flareside after a month of no replies here. Not bad for a 10 year old camera body, will be even better when the Z9 turns up. 5 months since I ordered it now...

Yeah bit, it’s not hard to find these places but they’re not marked well at all. Like this one I photographed, the only way you knew it was there is if you searched for ruins in Google maps. There’s no signage in person and this one was down a single lane road past a farm and some vineyards. Suddenly, a berg.

Also, my camera is also getting on in age. It’s a Canon Rebel T3 I bought on discount in 2013.

Welp, with that kind of crooked rails it's nigh on impossible to accurately center them... :-?

That's a disused (or rather only used for touristic uses nowadays) turf railway in the northwest of Hamburg, it's very narrow, I estimate it at around 80 cm.

2022-04-17 Torfbahn.jpg

Yeah bit, it’s not hard to find these places but they’re not marked well at all. Like this one I photographed, the only way you knew it was there is if you searched for ruins in Google maps. There’s no signage in person and this one was down a single lane road past a farm and some vineyards. Suddenly, a berg.

Also, my camera is also getting on in age. It’s a Canon Rebel T3 I bought on discount in 2013.
You missed the joke, German tourism is in ruins. :p

Also I'm still using a D7000 from launch in 2011. Took it out again today.

About the only decent photo I was able to get yesterday while walking through a local forest. Even with a long lens the wildlife is quite small and the trees are very tall. I'm also learning that I can't trust the aperture-priority or auto-ISO very much on this camera. I've never used them much before, but with so much changing light in a place like this I need to get used to them. I hope they will be much better on the Z9.

Last edited:
Still don't have the Z9 but I've been looking for new places to go to that I've never tried before, and that are a bit closer to home. Tried this new reservoir and glad I did, several great crested grebes among other water birds. I'm happy with this but still thinking about how much better it will be with a newer camera.

Last edited:
IMG_4993.JPG
IMG_5052.JPG

More wildlife again, sorry if I'm boring you! :p

Stopped at a lake park place during my drive in the Mazda yesterday and got this among many other pictures. This little bastard egret would fly off if I got close and then come back and sit on the fence when I was a bit further away, so this is the closest I could get. I really love the framing though.

Last edited:
Have some French mountains and a sunset.

1652604002872.jpeg

1652604015459.jpeg

Digging through the time when I got my SLR camera and umm, be amazed guys.

1654879698386.jpeg

This is the railway viaduct over the Kiel Canal where a transport bridge is suspended to move cars and people from one shore to the other. Since the train station of the city of Rendsburg is located just 600 metres from the northern shore there is a giant 360 degree loop (east-west direction about 1.6 km, north-south direction about 900 metres) to get the trains from 42 metres in the air to ground level. On a map that looks like this.

2022-06-12 Hochbrücke Rendsburg 2.jpg
2022-06-12 Schwebefähre Rendsburg 2.jpg

Today's sunrise. It was even more spectacular five minutes before that, but at that time I cycled through streets where the houses blocked the full view. :(

Sunrise.jpg

Been a while since I posted a wildlife photo! Took the Z9 out for the first time on Wednesday evening for the first time, these were two of the best. I still have a lot to learn.

Composition on the second might be controversial. :p

Last edited:
Still not enough wildlife, you say? Well here's one I took a month ago that I've only just remembered I should post.

Last edited: