Let the ZR1 Nurburgring lap times begin

janstett

Car(s)
86 944 Turbo, 2000 TA, 09 GC Overland, 11 CLS550
Jalopnik is reporting that the Corvette ZR1 has been spotted at the Nurburgring turning in consistant 7:40 lap times -- on a cold wet track and piloted by engineers. (For reference, the Z06 turned in a seat-of-the-pants 7:42 with an ALMS driver at the wheel.) And GM engineers are confidently boasting that the ZR1 will beat the time of any production car. According to ZR1 Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter, the ZR1 will beat the track record for production cars at any road course in the world. I wonder if that includes our favorite little abandoned airport.

Personally I can't wait to see what Jan Magnussen can do with this beast. And let the ZR1/GTR wars begin! (GTR put in a 7:38 lap time reportedly).

Last edited:
I expect it to be more than 2 seconds faster than a Z06. Hurrah for the Corvette - GT-R war, we should be getting better cars. Sucks to be Ferrari.

7:19

That's my prediction.

Steve
Based on no evidence, I doubt that the ZR1 which is a few hundred pounds heavier (though more powerful) than the Z06, will be over 20 seconds faster than the Z06 itself.

Jalopnik is reporting that the Corvette ZR1 has been spotted at the Nurburgring turning in consistant 7:40 lap times -- on a cold wet track and piloted by engineers.

I don't have ANY doubt about the Corvette's capabilities, but I think it's a little silly to write it like this.

"The ZR1 lapped the Nurburgring at 7:46 with run flats, a bad sparkplug, a trunk full of groceries and my grandma at the wheel.":rolleyes:

EDIT: Don't you guys get the wrong impression that I am not aware of the fact that ALL manufacturers do that...

It's fast, but it won't beat the GT-R.

To be honest I couldn't care less. Lap times around circuits don't mean shit to production cars.

Just like the silly German and Australian power wars. Everyone is focussed on being "bigger" or "faster" at the expense of being "better".

Personally I hope it does 8min20secs but has a decent ride and body control, good strong powerband and brakes well.

^ :yes: Lapping the Nurburgring really really quickly doesn't mean much when the ride is so rough that you can't use the car everyday.

^ :yes: Lapping the Nurburgring really really quickly doesn't mean much when the ride is so rough that you can't use the car everyday.

Exactly, the current M5 is fastest around the track if the suspension setting is on "Comfort" (e.g. the softest setting).

The whole Nurburgring thing is getting out of hand. Its nice to have a bit of a baseline standard to compare cars, but people take it too far. Kajun, I think the 'ring being so rough means that a softer setup will get you round faster, like skr said.

I think the real winner is the Final Gear board.
We're witnessing Jenna Jameson and Pamela Anderson going head to head here, really.
In jello.

LOL. Put some sticky rubber on and a non road setup and times will fly.

I'll wait for the SportAuto official times of the finished car.

It'll be pretty fast. And to those trying to say it's weight will make it slower, have you seen the GT-R's curb weight? :confused:

The ZR-1 may not be completely computer powered, like the Nissan, but it is more technological then the Z06. It will be fast.

Jalopnik is reporting that the Corvette ZR1 has been spotted at the Nurburgring turning in consistant 7:40 lap times -- on a cold wet track and piloted by engineers. (For reference, the Z06 turned in a seat-of-the-pants 7:42 with an ALMS driver at the wheel.) And GM engineers are confidently boasting that the ZR1 will beat the time of any production car. According to ZR1 Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter, the ZR1 will beat the track record for production cars at any road course in the world. I wonder if that includes our favorite little abandoned airport.

Personally I can't wait to see what Jan Magnussen can do with this beast. And let the ZR1/GTR wars begin! (GTR put in a 7:38 lap time reportedly).

i know he's the porsche test driver but get Walter Rohl on that shit

he bombed the 911 GT2 round the ring in a stupidly fast time and even he said he was scared lol

The ZR1 is on much better tires than the standard Z06, so I'm hoping for 10 seconds faster.