Let's rant about car designs (post unpopular opinions in here)

I saw that and was just waiting for the jokes. :LOL:

sigh

That's what I deserve for posting right before going to bed.:sleep:
Though a midship Miata would be fun

That reminds me though, the MR-S (3rd gen MR2), always thought it was trying to be a boxy Cayman/911.

Yeah at the very least it's very budget 986 like. With engine problems of its own, right?

Hmm, I always thought those 1ZZ engines are relatively trouble free. But then again Toyota isn't a manufacturer where I often think about engine issues.

but not beautiful to the eye per se as it probably should, being the supercar that it is.

i couldn't agree less with this claim
pretty supercars are boring and hardly ever age well
the design should challenge you, take a while to grow, and after 10 years be gorgeous
that is a succesfull supercar design in my eyes

bugatti EB110, McLaren F1 are prime examples of this

While I get your point, don't forget that as a manufacturer you're selling the cars as new, so they have to be striking now, not make people lust after them when they're being sold by third party dealers.

A design ranting thread without the current lineup of BMWs is incomplete...

Just look at this comparison between the front end of the 3-series E30 and the current X7 G07. I know they are different categories, but I didn't find a comparison between an E32 and a facelifted G11, the difference between the grilles is almost the same. IMHO up until the E46 and E39 the design steadily improved (with a few exceptions - E46 compact, I'm looking at you...), since then it went in the very wrong direction...

A design ranting thread without the current lineup of BMWs is incomplete...

Just look at this comparison between the front end of the 3-series E30 and the current X7 G07. I know they are different categories, but I didn't find a comparison between an E32 and a facelifted G11, the difference between the grilles is almost the same. IMHO up until the E46 and E39 the design steadily improved (with a few exceptions - E46 compact, I'm looking at you...), since then it went in the very wrong direction...
Thins went sour after the E9X, in my opinion.

Oooh, a thread for ranting about car designs! That's one of my favourite things to do.

First I'll start with two opinions that might not be popular: I don't like convertibles that are based on coupes and I don't like most of 2000's Ferrari and Maserati designs.

The specific models I can't stand are the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (even if it does age better than I expected), 360 (even if it's a 1999 car), F430 (the Scuderia with its lower stance and a much better front bumper is much better, but the standard F430 and its Spider version just don't look right to my eyes), California (even if I have a soft spot for manual Californias, mostly because of their rarity), 550 Barchetta Pininfarina (I love the standard 550 Maranello, but the Barchetta doesn't look right in my opinion) and the Superamerica (I don't think I have to do too much explaining on that one). On the Maserati side, there's the Maserati Coupé and the worst of all the offenders, the one I really dislike, the Maserati Spyder.

The front end on those looks cheap, especially those headlights, which are the worst part of the Ferrari 360 and 612 as well. I just don't like when manufacturers colour-match the area under the headlight cover. It just looks plasticky. And the front end in general is a bit too rounded and a bit like a blowfish. The Spyder also looks awkwardly proportioned with its super-short wheelbase and the roof that's been cut off. Here's a visualisation of what I mean:

IMG_0316-1.jpg

It somehow looks like a Fiat Barchetta on steroids, except that I don't think the Barchetta looks as awkward as this, and the Barchetta is supposed to be a somewhat awkward-looking car.

But does thread work the other way round? Unpopular opinions on car designs that we actually like? If that's the case, let me start with the Porsche 996.

porsche-911-996.jpg

To be more precise, the original, unaltered, 996.1. It looks like a modern reinterpretation of the 911 without looking retro-silly. Who cares if it shares some parts with the Boxster? It still looks well-balanced to my eyes, and the fact it was available in awesome interior colours is a bonus. I don't think the headlights were that bad, it's just Porsche purists who made it a problem. I also think the 993 is an exceptionally good looking 911, while the 964 looks a bit awkward, but I'll give it a pass for being available in all sorts of crazy interior and exterior colours.

Another example of a car that I think looks good would be a second-gen or a third-gen Toyota Prius. They're purpose-built, simple, straight-to-the-point and seemingly lack the kitsch of the fourth generation. Okay, the second generation looks a tiny bit too dull, but that's a good thing in my eyes, and I think the third generation solved that issue without being overstyled. That being said, the first generation just looks too dull and generic, while the fourth generation is just a styling exercise abomination, pretty much like most of Toyotas and Lexi nowadays.

Anyway, back to negative opinions. The BMW E46 sedan was one of the first Bangle-designed BMW and it shows. It doesn't look nearly as awkward as the E65 for example, but neither does it look as clean and sharp as let's say the E39 or the E36 (or some of the older models). But I do think whoever supervised the design of the E90/E91 nailed it, especially the LCI model, even if it isn't what I'd consider a beautiful car per se. With the E92/E93 the story is a bit different. They look too tame and boring compared to the sedan and wagon.

I do have more of these opinions, but I'll leave them for some other time.

I'm a huge fanboy of the McLaren F1 in all its different variants, except for one, the F1 GTR Long Tail.

To me the long tail destroys the proportion and makes it ugly.

I'm a huge fanboy of the McLaren F1 in all its different variants, except for one, the F1 GTR Long Tail.

To me the long tail destroys the proportion and makes it ugly.
YES

I feel like even the LM, with the rear wing, is not as pretty as the "regular" version.

YES

I feel like even the LM, with the rear wing, is not as pretty as the "regular" version.

You shut your whore mouth! The LM is my favorite.

NO WINGS
CLEAN DESIGN IS BEST :LOL:

It looks awesome, but the wing still looks like an afterthought. :p

Reactions: MWF