Votes: 32 22.5%
  • Barak Obama - Democrat

Votes: 92 64.8%
  • Mike Huckabee - Republican

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Hillary Clinton - Democrat

Votes: 15 10.6%

• Total voters
McCain should be good for another four to eight years.

There was a time in the US that political parties were not all that powerful.

When was that? From the beginning the U.S. was a two party system with Democrats and Federalists.

You can only become the Democratic candidate for the US presidency if you are prepared to act in a dishonest and unprincipled manner. Obama is willing to pay that price.

Source: ft.com

Finally an European who gets it!

Not quite hajj.
The quote should read more like this:

You can only run for the American presidency with the intention to win if you are prepared to act in a dishonest and unprincipled manner.

Perhaps that's why Barry Goldwater is one of my heroes.

I like Obama's style, he is a refreshing change at least in appearance from the typical politician. Substance-wise most of his positions are very well thought out even those I disagree with I can see why he took certain positions.

Funny enough apparently if Obama was running in the Canadian election he would win in a landslide regardless of whether he was put in charge or either of the two main parties. Maybe we're just sick of uninspiring and depressing politicians which could explain it.

Heres the poll article:
http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/310541

McCain says he will kill Amtrak. I don't want a preacher to run the show so, Huckabee is out. Bros before hoes.

Political parties in the US are on the decline, political parties are just a stage of democracy. There was a time in the US that political parties were not all that powerful. Now, whether or not we last to see something new emerge remains to be seen.

Bollocks. The party system is just as powerful as ever, despite the moderates that don't claim to be affiliated with either party. Look at them now, and consider they were never even mentioned in the Constitution.

Bollocks. The party system is just as powerful as ever, despite the moderates that don't claim to be affiliated with either party. Look at them now, and consider they were never even mentioned in the Constitution.

Not necessarily. Modern campaigns are appealing to the middle of the road philosophy more and more which suggests more people are claiming no affiliation to either party. If the "swing voters" as they are called were so few, candidates wouldn't campaign towards them as vigorously as they do. Now, granted, the divisions between the parties and their followers is a volatile as ever. Hopefully people will continue to migrate from blind support of political parties and think instead of react.

BTW, the "pre-party system" as it is called existed between 1760~1828. Parties did exist, yes, but they weren't presented on the ballot. Similar to how many local elections are held in the US today, for example mayorial elections. So you had people voting on the basis of the person more so then who they were affiliated with.

Sorry to detract from the seriousness of the discussion, but... I'm the 69th person to vote for Obama. Hehe.

I agree, but it seems that the whole thing is set up to work as a two-party system. Third-party candidates (such as Nader) are either laughed at, percieved as 'throwing away your vote' or percieved as only being in it to spoil it for others. The media hypes up the major players in each (think how much column space has been devoted to the main 4 in the poll compared to all the others still technically in it).

Then again, I've no idea how you'd go about changing it (if you wanted to change it), so I gues I'll shut up now.

In Australia our system isn't 2 party and I think it works better, but still most people only pay attention to the 2 main parties, the Australian Liberal Party (LIB) and the Australian Labor Party (ALP). In the latest election Kevin Rudd took nearly all of the same positions on all of the same topics as John Howard, but people voted for Kevin Rudd because they wanted a fresh government. Never mind that he's not going to do anything different. People can vote for anyone they like, but the two main parties get the most attention because people are more familiar with the parties' history and they get the most media attention. I've never thought about it that much, but I don't even know who any of the candidates were except Howard and Rudd. I'm glad we had other options, but there's no point unless the masses can get information on all candidates as the Liberals and Labor candidates. Otherwise it does just amount to throwing a vote away.

Um... that got a bit off topic from the topic. Anyway, I feel that Obama is the least crazy, so I'd vote for him. I'll try to post something more intelligent when I'm not sleep deprived.

Does that mean you weren't a Rudd OR Howard supporter then?
:p

I'm not well versed in American politics, but I'd probably vote for Barack Obama if I had to choose. Just as long as Hillary Clinton doesnt take power then anyone is fine by me.

I would have voted for McCain in 2000 or 2004 if given the chance but I couldn't do it now. I can't believe how McCain cuddled up to Bush after what Bush did to him in the 2000 Primary. I just have a hard time respecting McCain after that.

Sadly thats how the game is played, Mccain has to do what he has to do to become president and for fund raising purposes he has to "cuddle up" to bush. In general he seems to be more principled and less corrupt then your average politician and even Obama will make decisions and say things that he doesn't believe in too get elected, I could certainly see him making nice with Clinton even after all of her ridiculous attacks.

Hillary for me. She's the best alternative in my opinion. Obama would work too - USA just doesn't need another republican.

Obama.

McCain = YouTube - Flip-Flopper
Hillary = Bought by corporate money, won't pull out of the race already
Huckabee = Doesn't believe in evolution also way too far to the right for my taste

I do hope Hillary concedes tonight.

I already voted Obama in the California primary. Will vote for him again in general election.