Letter of application: Need help from a native english speaker

idk

Car(s)
Hyundai i30N Performance
Hi folks,

a friend of mine is looking for an internship overseas and therefore writing letters of application. So he gave me his letter to correct it and i did as good as i can but I'm still not quiet sure.

So i wonder if one of you native English speaking guys might have some minutes to look over it again.

I do not want to post it public :? but will sent it per PM when one of you answers and offers help :)

I'd really appreciate it because i have to write some myself sometime next year. :cool:

Thx in advance.

I'd help but I went to public school in america which means I can't speak english properly either :lol:

Hi folks,

a friend of mine is looking for an internship overseas and therefore writing letters of application. So he gave me his letter to correct it and i did as good as i can but I'm still not quiet sure.

So i wonder if one of you native English speaking guys might have some minutes to look over it again.

I do not want to post it public :? but will sent it per PM when one of you answers and offers help :)

I'd really appreciate it because i have to write some myself sometime next year. :cool:

Thx in advance.
Might as well put my Writing major skills to use. PM me and I'll take a look at it.

Thank you :) It's on its way any minute :)

Thank you very much for your offer. I've sent it to the two above already. I'll just wait what comes back for now since I do not want "too many versions" of the letter and occupy more people then necessary.
Just want all the "obvious" mistakes taken out that nobody starts rofl-ing when reading the letter.

But I'll include you when i have some further question or so if u don't mind :)

Thx thx thx :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Er, one thing American or British English? Its a bit like German and Swiss German. ...

Aren't the general rules of grammar the same for both American and British English? The words and slang are different, but I think I can understand British English relatively well even though I only learned American English.

No not exactly - there are differences in the Grammar, but it is minor. There are some common words that mean two different things; a fag for instance is a homosexual (I understand) in the US and a Cigarette in the UK, a rubber is a, er it rubs out pencil writing in the UK and is a Contraceptive so you see how you can get into trouble by having just one word incorrect.

There are other things as in the way we show dates for instance. The spellings of the some common words differ too.

So if the target is a North American location then use US English (the Candians used to use British but have been switching over recently) and if British or Irish use British English.

No not exactly - there are differences in the Grammar, but it is minor. There are some common words that mean two different things; a fag for instance is a homosexual (I understand) in the US and a Cigarette in the UK, a rubber is a, er it rubs out pencil writing in the UK and is a Contraceptive so you see how you can get into trouble by having just one word incorrect.

It gets even more confusing in AU where fag can be both. May I make a suggestion though? If you used the word fag in your resume etc you're unlikely to be successful :p

I'm with a similar problem... It's a statement of purpose, written by me, that'll be used in the admission process of a french college. They require all documents in English and also French. I'd appreciate any help with the English side of the story... If someone bothers, I'll send a PM. Thanks.

There are other things as in the way we show dates for instance. The spellings of the some common words differ too.

So if the target is a North American location then use US English (the Candians used to use British but have been switching over recently) and if British or Irish use British English.
I should think his application letter won't mention homosexuals, cigarettes, or prophylactics. :p

I should think his application letter won't mention homosexuals, cigarettes, or prophylactics. :p
Its a French College - so it could well mention all of them. :lol:

I'd love to help (You will need British English) but my English is rubbish, seriously is! Now one thing you could try is type in your first go in MS word (other word processors are available) and use the grammar and spelling function - make sure that you install the foreign language options and select the English (UK) processor/dictionary. Pass your document through that and it will apply the basics to it.

If you can not get anyone else - PM me and I will have a go.

Good luck. ...

/Edit

For a laugh check out the Wank thread. You will see what I mean when one word can cause a lot of laughter across the different sorts of English.

Last edited:
Hope it's not too late, but if you need another English-speaker/writer to go over the paper, send me a PM.

I think you've got enough offers already, but I'll be happy to scan over it at any time. :)

Er, one thing American or British English? Its a bit like German and Swiss German. ...

He wants to go "overseas" which means from my point of view American English :) (the British Channel doesn't count :p)

Well the letter is done now and on its way. But i think they won't deny an application by an foreigner because he used a "British" expression when the rest is OK. If i had to decide that would be an acceptable mistake... in contrast to some others.

But you're right, it's well worth mentioning.

But afaik there is a difference in how you start the letter (Dear Sir and Mrs) and end it between AE and BE (Sincerely/Yours sincerely etc...)

PS:

a rubber is a, er it rubs out pencil writing in the UK and is a Contraceptive so you see how you can get into trouble by having just one word incorrect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't know that but i find that sooo kind of funny now... rofl :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well in an exam @ university we aren't allowed to get any utilities from our backpacks while writing the exam.

I just imagine you're spending a semester abroad... writing an exam and then u see that you left your rubber (that thing to remove pencil writing) in your backpack. Then u make a sign and ask the professor in front of all the crowd whether you can get your condom (as everybody else understands).... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Must be funny. The fact that you (at least me) wouldn't even realize whats wrong makes it even more funny

Last edited: