Lexus 'F'

duality

Lexus to launch "F" series to rival AMG, M
lexus-f.jpg

Lexus will launch a new high-performance lineup beginning in 2007, according to dealer sources cited by Automotive News. The series will compete with BMW's "M" line and Mercedes' AMG. The automaker has filed for a trademark on the name "IS-F," which is believed to be the name for the company's 425 horsepower IS sedan, previously referred to as the IS 500.

The IS-F will be unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show and go on sale in December 2007. Other "F" models will surely be added in the following months, including a GS-F and an IS-F coupe.

The company also filed for a trademark on a new "F" logo (pictured). The logo features a stylized letter similar to that of the Lexus logo.
Source

Not bad...this might just alleviate Lexus's image in the performance range.

"I just got an F"

Hmm. That, and the new IS-F (saw it on Jalopnik, I think) will have the LS600h's hybrid drivetrain as its power-boosting upgrade. It's going to sell, but "real" enthusiasts won't like it, but that's nothing new for Lexus.

As a Lexus fanboy, this is a pretty cool concept but its going to take a very long time to get the same reputation as BMW's M range, Mercedes AMG Range and the Audi S range. But it will still be a very cool car but I don't think the IS-F will be able to rival the E90 M3 yet as Lexus doesn't even have the name yet, but it will definitely be a very very good car.

It's probably a good marketing move, but bad choice in names and that logo looks like a diving board.

Good luck Lexus - can't say F is a very inspiring name, unlike M or S, but they'll still manage to pull some suckers in as opposed to actual enthusiasts. Adding a hybrid powertrain to increase performance, though? :? Is that just so Mr. Big Shot needing his adrenaline rush can still make it to work on time in the hybrid-exempt HOV lanes? Seems like technology for technology's sake.

Does the article say why they picked F? We know M is for motorsport and S is (I'm guessing) for sport.

Does the article say why they picked F? We know M is for motorsport and S is (I'm guessing) for sport.

The IS-F - "F" as in "fast" - will go on sale in December 2007 and sticker in the low $50,000 range, sources said.
Autoweek.com

JustinsFast2.jpg

Funny, I would have thought it meant "Finesse", like they've been labeling their concept cars since the beginning of time. I doubt there will be much truth in marketing there, though.

I should learn to read I guess... but 'fast'? How about Q for quick?

F... lol
what a joke...
could of just revived the SUPRA name

sorry fellas, but i didn't read anywhere that they were actually putting the hybrid teck into the car, they just said the were using the engine, nothing about the electric motor...

Ugly logo. But good idea, good pricing...and another Yamaha-derived engine.

Good concept, provided they do it right and make the cars the equal of the Ms and RS cars, and allow the bloody ESP to be turned off. But the name - 'F'??

hopefully they will be more like M's than AMG's

maybe if porsche does properly take over Audi as suggested in the other thread (to those who may believe) S and RS could become a serious contender in the letter wars... just think, Lexus, BMW, Merc, and Audi all on a level playing ground. could become one hell of a war. Who else is going to join?

Good concept, provided they do it right and make the cars the equal of the Ms and RS cars, and allow the bloody ESP to be turned off. But the name - 'F'??

It would take awhile to get used to it and give it 5 years, it'll sound just as good as M, AMG or S... I think its all psychology IMO.

It would take awhile to get used to it and give it 5 years, it'll sound just as good as M, AMG or S... I think its all psychology IMO.

You're probably right - but now I immediately think 'F-Series', which I'm sure isn't their intention. That and I'm sure a lot of us are familiar with an F grade in school being a very bad thing.

F-Series. Sounds like a truck!

I pressume they'll start their Fast series with the IS500 then?? I'm not so confident that they are ready to do fully fledged performance cars though but Lexus are improving heaps with their new cars dynamicks.