Lexus 'F'

God that IS-F is hideous! From the side it looks like it was inspired by a VW "new" Beetle.

Anyone see the specs on it? Thing is destined to understeer with the power, weight and severe lack of tire underneath the front.

The rest of the IS line are pretty damn-nice handlers...Road and Track just put the 350 as tops, in comparison with the Acura TL Type-S and the Infinity G35 Sport.

Although, they did say something along the lines of "While these are terrific in their own rights, they have a bit to go before reaching the likes of the CTS and the BMW 3's"...which makes me question their conclusions...

"While these are terrific in their own rights, they have a bit to go before reaching the likes of the CTS and the BMW 3's"...

Apparently the CTS can handle quite well. A man who owns both a 3 series and a CTS has admitted to that very fact.

Apparently the CTS can handle quite well. A man who owns both a 3 series and a CTS has admitted to that very fact.

"a man"? Care to link? I'm curious as to how it stacks up from someone with extented drive-time in both...

Looks like F really does stand for "Fail" in this case. :)

http://www.fdivision.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23

This has pics of the IS-F from the showroom, looks better with these.

It does look better in those pics - for a start those fender vents are quite slim, opposed to the small-child-swallowing size they appear to be in the earlier pics. But the bonnet bulge is still far too much, and far too ugly. The exhausts are too fiddly too. It's still trying too hard.

Put regular exhausts on it, tone down the bonnet bulge (I realise the motor needs room, but if it needs that much room...), and PUT A PROPER MANUAL GEARBOX IN IT and they'll be getting closer to getting my interest.

Yeah, it is quite flashy... but mind you most autoshow pics show cars like that due to the lighting and everything. I bet in natural light with a simpler colour would look much different.

I love it though, it's brash. Those wheels are hawt.

It does look better in those pics - for a start those fender vents are quite slim, opposed to the small-child-swallowing size they appear to be in the earlier pics. But the bonnet bulge is still far too much, and far too ugly. The exhausts are too fiddly too. It's still trying too hard.

Put regular exhausts on it, tone down the bonnet bulge (I realise the motor needs room, but if it needs that much room...), and PUT A PROPER MANUAL GEARBOX IN IT and they'll be getting closer to getting my interest.
Why the hell do you want a manual when the tranny in it shifts faster and is better on the mpg..

ohh and the bulge is something they just cant doo anything for.. its a mix of engine too big for the car and safty.. god damn pedestrians .. get yourself a car for crying out lowd!

Why the hell do you want a manual when the tranny in it shifts faster and is better on the mpg..
Same reason why people still buy sports cars. Shifting your own is more fun.

Same reason why people still buy sports cars. Shifting your own is more fun.

clarkson explains it best in the episode where he's driving all the hypercars of past and present. in new cars everything has to go through a computer first before it decides if you're taking a risk or not. whereas and F-40 from back in the day is a bunch of "Yes men" when you put your foot on the gas, it goes, when you shift gears, it shifts.

even if a manual is slightly quicker and better on fuel, try and sell that tranny to someone who does autocrossing. he/she will hate every second of it, even with your input it's going to be in the wrong gear to get out of a corner half the time.

you can't beat 100% mechanical control over a machine.

besides, if everything is to become so automated i'm going to get so bored driving that i'm gonna have to hit walls just to keep entertained.

Only major problem the CTS had was the very low-rent interior and the fact that it's late to the game and has to catch up with the crowd. BMW somehow manages to always stay ahead of the competition. And then when Cadillac and Infiniti and Audi and so on start to come close, the 3-series is replaced with another thats even better to drive.

I agree with both sides of the argument but at the end of the day, we need to recognise that people like shifting themselves and I'm wondering if manufactures are phasing our manuals all together. It just seems that way...and they shouldn't be doing that.

ohh and the bulge is something they just cant doo anything for.. its a mix of engine too big for the car and safty.. god damn pedestrians .. get yourself a car for crying out lowd!

That's usually the sort of thing I hear from my friends who don't know how to drive a manual

dont get me wrong.. i never drive anything other then a manuall .. but on a track ans stuff.. i prefer flappypaddels..
a manual in a sportscar is for posers, Real drivrs have flappypaddels
but then again .. less then 1% of these cars will ever see a racetrack...
(by the way .. i might drive a bit on track .. but i still suck :p)