Lexus LFA is go!

djdorifto

Car(s)
Honda S2000
1019big.jpg

Report: Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

Date posted: 03-06-2006

TOKYO ? Toyota has secretly approved plans to put its sensational 200-mph Lexus LF-A supercar in the market, according to a report in Tokyo.

Japan's media are reporting that Toyota will launch a luxury sports car for the Lexus brand embracing F1 technology in fall 2008. The reports also say Toyota is pitching hard to bring the Japanese F1 Grand Prix to its newly refurbished Fuji Speedway track, which will help the company drive home the car's F1 connection.

The supersleek LF-A, as shown so far, has a 5.0-liter, front-mounted V10. However, with F1 engine regulations switching to V8, it raises the question whether Toyota will make that change on the LF-A as well. The fact that Honda is preparing a new V10 NSX for 2009 suggests Toyota will stick with the V10 so it won't lose out in the image war, and at the same time to hold firm to the LF-A's premium status.

The LF-A sticker is expected to be just under $170,000, a bargain by supercar standards.

Honda's contract to hold the F1 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka expires this year. This has not escaped the attention of Toyota, which will be lobbying hard to stage the race at its own Fuji Speedway, near Tokyo. Honda, however, seems determined to fight to keep its F1 date. That raises the possibility of two F1 races in Japan, which sounds exciting!

What this means to you: Toyota, with cash to burn, puts the pedal to the metal with F1, both on the circuit and the road.

It would have to be one hell of a car if its to get any interest from me because I think it looks crap for a supercar.

Is it propeller powered?

Beni said:
Is it propeller powered?
My guess is that those fans are part of an intricate cooling solution for the rear brakes which pulls in cool air from under the car and exhausts it upwards, doing away with the need for a rear spoiler.

Beni said:
Is it propeller powered?

it's amfibious, those are to propell it when in the water

and the 3 holes on the bottom, are rockets, for when it goes flying

such an ugly thing

Its just a Toyota PR exercise to prove that the company is a world class manufacturer able to compete in all levels of car-making.

Toyota can't possibly expect this to be a profitable venture, at least when profit is measured in the traditional way.

:thumbsdown:

Lexus should stick on luxury cars, not on supercars

haha604 said:
Its just a Toyota PR exercise to prove that the company is a world class manufacturer able to compete in all levels of car-making.

Toyota can't possibly expect this to be a profitable venture, at least when profit is measured in the traditional way.
they made a profit (just) on the 2000GT back when japanese cars was just some cheap cars
they say that it is to honor there F1 thingi .. but its going to be built with SuperGT knowhow...
and dont forget .. the SuperGT supra is the fastes GT racer in the WORLD..
(with only 480hp from a 4,6liter V8.. the very same engine that spawnd the new V8 in the LS460..)
how many other car makers can really say that there engines are derived from racing? ..
NONE! (ok ok .. some)

Oh yeah .. look at this .. grate sound..
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105484

I'm going to be one of the few that say I love the look of this. It looks like no other supercar (or normal car for that matter) so it's highly unique. I likes it.

Kebab gud said:
haha604 said:

they made a profit (just) on the 2000GT back when japanese cars was just some cheap cars
they say that it is to honor there F1 thingi .. but its going to be built with SuperGT knowhow...
and dont forget .. the SuperGT supra is the fastes GT racer in the WORLD..
(with only 480hp from a 4,6liter V8.. the very same engine that spawnd the new V8 in the LS460..)
how many other car makers can really say that there engines are derived from racing? ..
NONE! (ok ok .. some)

Oh yeah .. look at this .. grate sound..
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=105484

The 2000GT was priced no where near 160k in today's money, was it? This new Toyota will be a great car for sure, as was the NSX. That doesn't mean it will be a great seller.

Heck Toyota is selling (or was selling) tens of thousands of hybrids at a loss, so I don't doubt it will do the same for a supercar.