LFS CarFocus v2.6 (Movie tool)

FireFox

Not the Browser
Car(s)
Ford Fiesta (2008), sold Toyota Carina II.
To create a nice scene for recording a movie can be a pain in the ass if you need to control the camera by mouse. Well, not anymore :)

I made a prototype to control the camera when LFS is in Shift U mode. The main aspect of this tool is to keep the focus at a driver. You can keep the car in focus at any camera location on the track. This tool is aimed for movie makers out there. You can pick a spot and let the program do the focusing. The program is not ready for public use yet because there are no checks for errors and its user unfriendly.

Because my laptop is from the stone-age, fraps'ing LFS is not really an option, so I used my photo camera to see the program in action: http://vimeo.com/2427371
In the first 2 scenes the calculation for predicting the car location was a bit wrong. Clearly visible because of the nice piece of tarmac without any car. The rest of the video is with the proper prediction. As you can see, you can place the camera anywhere and let the program do the focus.
Another idea was to create some camera path. You can download this clip to see it in practice.
http://lfs.finalgear.com/download/carfocuscircle.avi (4MB, no sound) A camera path where a few cameras are places around the car. The mouse is not used to control the camera!
smile.gif

Another update: http://vimeo.com/2450043 Static camera locations around the track. (The switch to the cameras isn't that great:p) The possibility to create an automated TV Director would be a tad closer. A smart algorithm is needed to decide at which driver to focus. Close battles, Crashes/Yellow Flags, Blue Flags or pit lane Action.

Another nice feature is kinda the follow or 'moveable' camera. I've placed the camera at a old location of the car. From that location it will keep on focus at a driver (me) http://vimeo.com/2483071 You can control the camera location to any position but moving the camera on the x,y axis is kinda hard to do. Gotta do some calculation with the heading so it will be easier to control it.

:cool:
ps. Any got a nice name for the program? LFS Car Focus, Auto Camera Focus....<_<

Last edited:
This is pretty cool, even though I didn't touch LFS for a while I'm sure it will be much appreciated by LFS movie makers.

That looks really good, very smooth motion. I expect this is what a lot of LFS movie makers have been waiting for, I know the camera controls have annoyed me when I've been trying to make videos.

Excellent work, very impressive. :)

Excellent work, very impressive. :)
Thanks
Artificial idiot 5, made me giggle.
:p, Can you think of any other features? I quite like the camera path feature, for the BF1 video: It took me maybe a minute to configure/add the cameras and all I had todo was press the 'play' button.

Also got the focus at the car when the camera is in Shift U and 'follow car' is on. Camera is placed relative to the car, but instead of change the heading of the camera manually..... CarFocus will automatically focus at the center of the car. I can imagine that you don't always wanna focus at dead center, 0,0,0 of the car. So what would be cool to see? or hard to create a scene you had in mind? :)

Yess, finally, god has heard my wishes. Thank you m8, great work. I'll have to make some space now on my HD and record some clips. How do u come up with that stuff...

Eg vet.
edit: Sugestion: Would it be possible to add a "camera path" to a replay? Lets say maybe you could adjust the speed of the movement between the cameras, and adjust the focus on the cars in race...

Last edited:
Suggestion: Would it be possible to add a "camera path" to a replay? Lets say maybe you could adjust the speed of the movement between the cameras, and adjust the focus on the cars in race...
You can adjust the speed of the cameras between each other by changing the value (time in ms) when you add the camera.
Atm, There isn't any nice GUI which let you delete or edit a camera point. What you need to do when running a replay is: Figure out how long the transition between to camera points is. So position the camera at the right spot. (remember the race time) and go to the next camera location and pause the replay at the right moment. Now you know what the total time is when the cars are from place 1 to place 2. So now when you add the camera to the camerapath you can fill in the total time to switch to the next one.
Haven't tried it, but I think it should work... :mrgreen:
But yeah a GUI would be a bit more user orientated.:p