License Plates

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
There is quite a degree of variation in license plate policy and design around the world. Plates vary in size, shape, design and placement, from rear-only vanity plates in some US states to plates of different material and shape in the UK to highly standardized German plates. Living in the US, I'm used to seeing a lot of different kinds of plates, but today I saw a car with plates that threw me for a loop.

srt5iRVh.jpg

At first, I thought this Volvo's owner thought it would be cute to stick a euro-style vanity plate on the front of his S40, just like many VW and other German car owners do. However, on closer inspection, I noticed that its country identifier said USA, with a little compass symbol where the EU stars are supposed to be.
Then I swung around back to see what kind of "real" plate it had. And I was in for a surprise. Instead of the usual normal plate on the back, there was one identical to the front plate.

4VeXHONh.jpg

I notice that there is a EU-style plate bracket on the back, so maybe that's a clue. That said, this appears to be a USDM model. I'm really puzzled by this. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with these license plates?

Also, License plates in general. Thoughts about vanity plates? Differences in shape, size and style? I think they're pretty cool and interesting to talk about.

Last edited:
Also, on plates in general: In the UK, black number plates FTW. So much cooler.

I dunno, to me they only work on certain cars. The Series 3 had black plates on it when I bought it, but they're illegal for a car of that age and with dark green I prefer the white and yellow. I would've liked pressed plates with the raised letters but that's something I never got around to. Maybe I'll get a set for the Disco.

That looks like a European-market car (note the lengthy format of the plate holders) and the plates themselves look very German-style. But the "QQ" regional code is non-existent, to my knowledge at least.

That looks like a European-market car (note the lengthy format of the plate holders) and the plates themselves look very German-style. But the "QQ" regional code is non-existent, to my knowledge at least.

i know the plate frame makes it look like a EUDM car, but you may be right. is there any way to tell from the pics i took of the actual body?

QQ does exist, it is the "regional" code for US armed forces export plates... which may be why we don't really see it on our streets.
As you can see it's held in place by cable ties on the more common elongated plate holder, which was in use for its regular plate before shipping it from Germany to the US. Probably due for proper US plates shortly.

Also, License plates in general. Thoughts about vanity plates? Differences in shape, size and style? I think they're pretty cool and interesting to talk about.

OK, so main mystery solved, good! USA with NATO logo for German based cars for export to USA.

The white plates are the "standard" or most common style Euro plate.
sort of based on the German model.

Only (?) France and the UK have the weird but well meant white front and yellow on the rear, so you can tell which way car is facing on an unlit road at night.

The Dutchies have the yellow front and back plates, dunno why.

And the Belgiums have the white plates, but with red numbers & letters probably just to annoy the Germans. (They are the same plates as UK "trade Plates" which motor businesses use. ie red on white.)

The prefix EU logo symbol plus blue band, is optional in the UK, but most cars around here seem to have it. Maybe because we are only an hour or so from the coast & ferries/tunnel.

:smile:

:smile:

License plate trivia: The Wyoming license plate with the "county number - bucking horse and rider - license number" design is the longest running license plate design in the world, we've been using it since 1936.

Here are the current US plates..
4KNWz6G.jpg

Several states have very boring plates.

Oregon requires a front and back plate but I only run a back plate on my Viper. There's no factory mounting location for it on the front bumper and fuck drilling holes. I bought an aftermarket mount for it that basically clamps on but I've never used it. Looks ugly.

Oregon requires a front and back plate but I only run a back plate on my Viper. There's no factory mounting location for it on the front bumper and fuck drilling holes. I bought an aftermarket mount for it that basically clamps on but I've never used it. Looks ugly.

Front dash?

I know around here, cops are looking for anything to pull you over. I would think, as long as you have it visible in the front somewhere, you should be ok.

Liscence plates of hondurasland through the ages

http://img192.imageshack.**/img192/5545/cehondurasgi71970stoday.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.**/img695/9563/cehondurasot.jpg

Having seen the incredibly lax attitude that Nicaraguan authorities have towards license plate placement and usage, are things the same in Honduras?

A bit, authorities don't care for size/shape of plate so long as the numbers match and you have it front and back, so you can put euro style plates if you think they fit better or get creative, see:

placa.jpg

However, those semi transparent dark plate covers

DEI_480_311.jpg

Are legal (notice the visibly old blue truck without plates), also you can roll around with no plates provided you have a paper to prove your plates have not been delivered, a paper I can tell you is rather on the easy side to get.

Last edited:
Here are the current US plates..
4KNWz6G.jpg

Several states have very boring plates.

Almost current. Ohio finally got rid of the "kiddy finger painting" license plate. It's much better now.

ohio_pride_plate.png

:)

Front dash?

Horribly unsafe in an accident, plus it'd reflect in the glass and would block my view (it's not a large windshield).

Or maybe one of those hide-a-plate movable ones that slides it under the car?

I'd just tear it off. I scrape my bumper on stuff as it is. I don't have a grill so I could put it in there but it'd be off center and back to being ugly. :p

I know around here, cops are looking for anything to pull you over. I would think, as long as you have it visible in the front somewhere, you should be ok.

My dad got pulled over years ago for not having a front plate (he bought the car with no front plate) but that was in a beater. I've been pulled over once in the Viper and no mention was made of it, however he was probably focused on the fact I was driving quickly off a light in a construction zone (I was being a dumbass and not thinking).

In short, I'm not worried about it but I carry the plate in my trunk. I don't carry the holder for it though. My plan is to just try to talk myself out of a ticket as there's legitimately no place to put it.