• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Lightweight alloys, suspension, and gas pedal question

Mischief007

Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
What are some good companies for lightweight alloys or racing or magnesium whatever you might call them in 16x7 or 17x7 format with 5x115 bolt pattern. Probably the 17s if I get the Bear upgrade kit.

Are the Eibach Pro good enough if I don't want to suffer from being too low since I live in the snow belt? They seem to be a tad bit more expensive but I think it's worth it since drivability really doesn't suffer if you get the KYB GR2 struts. And yes. I have 4 struts on this car.

This is the deal breaker here. I want to know if it is possible to raise the gas pedal or would a whole new pedal have to be manufactured. Either the brake and clutch to go lower or raise the gas pedal since the gas pedal is the one that is offset lower than the brake pedal. Basically for heel and toe purposes.

If I don't make sense just let me know and I'll rephrase it.

Assuming you are looking here for performance improvement, I think alloys that you could save wieght with, are damn expensive. Most common, commercial alloys apparently wiegh more than stock rims. Even alloys offered by most car manufactures are heavier than stock rims. So, if I were you, I'd rethink switching to alloys. This I guess doesnt answer your question really, but just a thought and some info, my .02$. :)

I already found a few with decent prices. They are getting more common these days and prices have been falling ;). I just want to get more opinions with what people tried though.

Re: Lightweight alloys, suspension, and gas pedal question

Mischief007 said:
This is the deal breaker here. I want to know if it is possible to raise the gas pedal or would a whole new pedal have to be manufactured. Either the brake and clutch to go lower or raise the gas pedal since the gas pedal is the one that is offset lower than the brake pedal. Basically for heel and toe purposes.

If I don't make sense just let me know and I'll rephrase it.

remember that when you are heel-toeing, there is pressure on the brake pedal, and it is then going to be closer in alignment with the gas. it much easier to have the gas pedal lower than the brake than even with it. (imho)

^ Will test that out then and see how it is. It feels too low for me though but you may be right. Will give it a try. If it won't be a deal breaker then I'll probably start auto crossing next year with the car.

As for the alloys. Check out companies OZ and Compomotive.

Which car is this for?
It better not be the Alero! I'd rather just keep that car stock and get a better platform to modify.
You can buy a car that requires ZERO modifications to have fun.

I think the best value on wheels is from Ray's. Their Gramlight 57 Pro wheels are probably the lightest and strongest in that price bracket.
gramlight-wheels.jpg

Also, if you plan on upgrading the suspension you should follow this order: stabliser bars (anti-roll bars), strut tower braces, dampers (shock absorbers), springs.

What's wrong with the Alero?

Mischief007 said:

You need to ask youself: What's good about the Alero?
I'm just trying to say that the Alero wasn't designed to be a fun enthusiasts' car. Unless you absolutely have to keep the car for the rest of your life, I'd keep it stock and get another car for fun.

There are stock cars that already come with lightweight alloys, a great suspension, and correctly placed pedals.

But this is only my opinion. I won't hate you for disagreeing.

gramlights are bad ass wheels but are not worth putting on a alero. buy that bimmer, get some crazy offset rims like bahn and get eibach pros if you dont want to be too low or too expensive. with rwd a flush looks makes the whole car look amazing.
johns_car_hamann1.jpg

thats a good look in my eyes

Z Draci said:
Mischief007 said:

You need to ask youself: What's good about the Alero?
I'm just trying to say that the Alero wasn't designed to be a fun enthusiasts' car. Unless you absolutely have to keep the car for the rest of your life, I'd keep it stock and get another car for fun.

There are stock cars that already come with lightweight alloys, a great suspension, and correctly placed pedals.

But this is only my opinion. I won't hate you for disagreeing.
i agree. you may just be wasting your money on lightweight alloys, and such.

Fine. I can throw that out of the window then. What's the point of having fun then right. Much better to pimp out the Alero then.

You guys are absolutely right.

No, no! Don't pimp the Alero! Maybe you're missing the point.

Once you start modifying your car, it's a chain reaction. You don't want to stop.
Many modifications will cost you some down time and you won't have a driveable car for a while. Plus, most modifications will make the car less comfortable or less practical for everyday use.

Instead of pouring money into the Alero for performance parts, we're suggesting that you save the money and get a second car. (For the cost of a complete suspension, you can probably buy a half decent used car.)
You can save the Alero for a comfortable cruiser while you can have a second less practical car. This second car can be anything. If you want to have fun, you want a car that you can thrash and bash without worries.

I actually only have an impractical fun car.
I sold my comfortable cruiser and regret it.

Doesn't matter anymore. I'm giving up on this now. I can't get a proper answer from anybody. Can't afford a second car plus I live in an apartment so it's not like I have a driveway. But it don't matter. This idea is now scrapped.

Mischief007 said:
Doesn't matter anymore. I'm giving up on this now. I can't get a proper answer from anybody. Can't afford a second car plus I live in an apartment so it's not like I have a driveway. But it don't matter. This idea is now scrapped.
a second used car would be as expensive as some of the stuff that you are planning on buying in the first place. the Alero is a comfortable car, dont ruin it by making it "sporty"

well heres your answer.... gramlights are awesome wheels, kyb's with eibach pros is a good combo, try to hea up the pedal arm(?) with a torch and bend it to wherever you want.

you sure its 115x5 and not 114.3x5? if its 114.3 then you could look for stock 300zx, 350z, 240sx, skyline, or mustang rims. they would be cheap and some dont look half bad

imo keep the alero stock and save up for another car. you can pick up an awd 1g dsm for 1000 bucks and modify that.