Someone Else's Problem: Like RdKetchup but with moar FREEDOM: altoid's FJ-08.5

For some entertainment, my clutch lever/cable story is a bit funny.

Last weekend, the night before a canyon ride, I went to clean the bike and prepare the luggage. For whatever reason, I sat on it and went to start it, and then realized the clutch lever seized and wouldn't return on its own.

Disappointed, I went back upstairs and started researching the issue. Turns out the clutch cable for my bike was redesigned for the year after mine, as its original shape caused clutch cable fraying. This happening mid-ride would be a seriously bad time, so I ordered the replacement part and made peace with not having a working bike for a week or two. The part is supposed to arrive today.

Last night, in anticipation of today's shipment, I went to the bike to clean the clutch lever assembly, to make the install quicker in the evening. And then I found that it mostly works. One quick spritz of WD-40 later, it works like new.

More than a little confused, I realized that whole section is very dirty, and not from riding and neglect. There's a white residue all over the place, but only on that side.

AMV13dv.jpg

I looked around and then up, and now I have a theory: someone used a leaf blower by that window and sprayed whatever that white stuff is all over the ceiling, plant, and my bike. It's sticky, so the lever seized, but after a few days it mostly let go.

DJa8hQ5.jpg

Then I went back inside and wrote an email that got me new parking spots today. At least the clutch cable upgrade is a great idea anyway. ?

Speaking of parking, I got an immense upgrade as a result!

When I moved into this apartment a few weeks ago, I requested tandem spots for easier bike + car life, but also to have a guest spot in a pinch. Well, I got dealt a pretty crappy hand, as the spots I was assigned were:
• not actually two spots, with the garage gate motor taking up enough space between them to make the back one useless for a car;
• right next to a window where leaf blowers go nuts, resulting in the aforementioned fun; and
• not actually underneath my building, but the one next to it.

No car sold in the US is narrow enough to get through:
gYiFMKb.jpg

Look at this inconvenient shit:
5y9tbYV.jpg

The bike is dirtier being parked than ridden:
NOfPWrI.jpg

After last night's discovery, I walked around the parking areas and picked out my favorite alternatives, based on which ones had no cars in them, and emailed the leasing office. Today, 14 hours later, I got my top choice:
• two fully and easily accessible spots;
• nowhere near an opening to the outside; and
• underneath my building, right next to the stairs, elevator, and my mailbox.

Four parking spots from the nearest opening:
f2lKKeP.jpg

Proper width and full access:
JJD9CDn.jpg

Bonus space behind them, making bike + two cars even easier:
KC9mJd6.jpg

Today's p. alright so far…

I mended something!

I survived a 60-mile shakedown ride, so I can't have fucked up too badly. I used this video as a reference.

Bike also works great for curbside bookstore order pickup:
nlIf4i8.jpg

Impromptu Big Bear ride last Saturday, just the phone pics:

qkEddix.jpg

xZXlIQq.jpg

TIQvvgt.jpg

gIH8inE.jpg

bQMk03H.jpg

JMqn4Na.jpg

BbaABcx.jpg

pnbQD2W.jpg

bC54B3B.jpg

And from my friend:
pE8YTwM.jpg

7k1hLsL.jpg

RyseO9q.jpg

YdJCSgR.jpg

4PbQh66.jpg

9hkfw8w.jpg

pTxklLg.jpg

FB1J7Cg.jpg

We also got hail, so there may be some helmet cam footage coming up. ?

Hi. No real update, just some visuals.

Gosh darn I love me some top case life:
L5qaDmq.jpg

Look at these flippin hotties:
XGqxXiQ.jpg

yeyW2y9.jpg

No, seriously, top case life is the best:
GFK6G67.jpg

Yamaha FJ-09: Truck of the Year:
XK5CyP9.jpg

I planned a trip to the Bay Area that I canceled because of a weather advisory indicating high wind speed and notable wind gusts. Getting blown off the bike/bridge/mountain didn't seem all that appealing.

So instead I kinda halved the trip and spent a few days on California's Central Coast in a quiet fishing town called Morro Bay. It was 435 miles of riding and some lazing about on a hotel balcony overlooking sunsets over the bay.

Packed a day and half before the trip—even before I found out I had to alter it—clearly this touring life suits me:
ZdFTH9y.jpg

Chain maintenance the day before, truly a rare sight:
gtvxjFt.jpg

The bay right behind the bike:
V3FBxNV.jpg

Fully covered parking is bae:
XGCUhJF.jpg

Not a bad view:
B1RlGhV.jpg

Not at all:
z64oemr.jpg

Took a ten minute walk and an orange cat immediately found me:
CUFoBbh.jpg

It looks artsier-fartsier on my phone:
4VDol6A.jpg

Ah, if only people would:
Zt0VcBO.jpg

The bay is cool:

Wat:
fhswPpx.jpg

So many boats:
vn28tck.jpg

My balcony view really was great:
4Ex9PLO.jpg

Morro Rock:
L6b4ZPL.jpg

Some random Yamafam dropped by the hotel—truly hardcore touring on an R3 and an R6:
pm9x7lH.jpg

That sunset lens flare:

So serene:
NaqIEDE.jpg

So much orange:
6NbdnlT.jpg

Light even after the sunset:
y6zzvQR.jpg

But not for long:
vDECxBd.jpg

Morning balcony view right before departure:
5bcYsSD.jpg

My vacay fit—you just can't see the blue pants and sneakers:
ez6XLRY.jpg

More boats:
KeJ8HyZ.jpg

Even more boats:
JcQWFIs.jpg

Ready to head back home:
o54A90G.jpg

All done:
7hQdOeA.jpg

Lucy was happier to see me again than this photo suggests:
vvggYZ9.jpg

Had to relax after the ride, ya know:
e8vVnms.jpg

Yay for fresh air - Morro Bay looks fantastic!

Hi, frenz! It's been a while, so have a seat and let's catch up a bit. :)

Since we last hung out, I've stopped riding nearly entirely. It's not that I'm done with it, it's got nothing to do with the bike, and it hasn't really even been about the weather, though it's gotten both chillier and wetter. It's the simple fact that fucking covidiots have run LA well over ICU capacity throughout the holidays. We all know this is a dangerous activity and must accept it as such, but part of my personal math here is having the American medical complex there for me, even if at a hilarious cost. Without it, I'm a lot less inclined to go risk life and limb next to dumb drivers (whlist relying on my dumb self).

However, I have ridden a little bit, and some other fun stuff happened, so here we are!

Found a rear puncture, my first:

Look at that little fucking piece of metal shit:
QwB0wI1.jpg

Alright, I got this:
fmLcAcR.jpg

Got it out, don't know if you can hear the hissing:

Fuck you, staple:
PmqKyjW.jpg

Drill, baby, drill:
aelktnk.jpg

Well, it looks worse plugged, ha:
iPW8es7.jpg

No bubbling, looking good:

Fuck this:
ev6XhUX.jpg

Didn't die on the test ride:
WcMMD0Y.jpg

But the car's battery did, again, so FJ: TRUCK OF THE YEAR to the rescue, again:
sCt2paU.jpg

Needed to transport an empty (but not dry) cup, found a cupholder:
rEtnx2E.jpg

Held up at highway speeds for a bit:
PufXt7w.jpg

So, uhh, my fancy schmancy vanity plate—which I ordered at least back when I had the XSR, and possibly even the Ninja—finally fucking arrived:
zETXbxy.jpg

SoCal Python represent:
SfwCAgh.jpg

Whoops, forgot to follow up. ?

So, I’ve got comfort grips and a CrampBuster, as well as the stock handguards—p. standard setup:
rLY4pTt.jpg

Well, you can unbolt the handguard, like so:
Iy5VKpw.jpg

And you can unbolt the thingamajig it bolts to:
SKroolu.jpg

And then you can attach one of these:
YTWU8KF.jpg

And then you can try your best not to die whilst using it.

And what is it? It’s a Kaoko throttle lock, aka peasant cruise control.

After 18 months, 9,000 miles, and an aftermarket seat, TIL that I never raised my seat properly, which is definitely something I want at 6'1.

As it turns out, what I had to do was take this bracket:

rz15wAS.jpg

and move it back, like this:

NfRhDm5.jpg

and now it’s on the higher of the two settings.

Test ride yet to come.

Yay for weekend coffee runs! Did you have a chance to throw a leg over the monster?

Yay for weekend coffee runs! Did you have a chance to throw a leg over the monster?

I realized I missed the opportunity well after we parted ways. I’ll try and remember next time!

Nice, remind me to remind you etc. Just kiddin' - glad you were able to go out for a ride! :cool: