Liquer recommendations, round two

Mitlov

Car(s)
2011 Civic Si, 2002 SV650
A long time ago, I asked for advice here about liqueurs to give as a give to my assistant, and got some great suggestions. Now, round two: I thought some sample bottles of nice liqueurs would make a nice stocking stuffer (in addition to the normal chocolates, etc). My wife loooooooves St. Germain as well as Bailey's, but she detests Grand Marnier (she says it tastes like cough syrup, and I don't disagree). Given those tastes, are there any particular liqueurs I should focus on?

Many thanks!

EDIT: title typo fail...

Does it have to be a fruity liqueur? Could it just be some awesome rum? because let me tell you Angostura 1919 is fantastic (as is the 1824) and pricey while not being TOO pricey.

It doesn't have to be fruity (remember Bailey's isn't fruity; it's a mix of whiskey, milk, and spices), but it does have to be a liqueur instead of an 80-proof hard liquor of any type. With both Bailey's and St. Germain, she enjoys them on the rocks; a true hard liquor is too "alcohol-y" for her tastes like that. I myself loooooooove a good scotch on the rocks, but that sort of thing packs too much of a punch for her.

liqueur-cointreau.jpg

triple%20sec.jpg

sambuca1.jpg

amaretto.jpg

Licor%2043.jpg

i love liquors! not to drink pure, but in a cocktail they are nice, and they're very tasty to flamb? pancakes or sth

I love Angustura 1919, that stuff is great.

And in terms of liquor recommendation I might add Mozart chocolate spirit to the list.

Never heard of it before, but that sounds PERFECT.

As for the Cointreau and Triple Sec suggestions...are these remarkably different from Grand Marnier? Because she really doesn't like Grand Marnier. Disaronno and Sambuca, however, sounds like they'd be worth a shot.

Just to follow up, I got her a bunch of sample bottles, and the Disaronno and the Chambord were huge hits. So I went and got a couple 750 ml bottles for our liquor cabinet.

In other news, absinthe is the most revolting drink ever.

In other news, absinthe is the most revolting drink ever.

Dumb question here possibly, but which brand/country was the absinthe from?

I've had illegally imported absinthe from spain, and it wasn't half bad, but it didn't even make me buzzed.

Absinthe is legal here but I wonder if it's something different from what is famously called "the green fairy"; which is supposed to make you hallucinate... Cos it doesn't for some reason.

You didn't drink it straight did you?

Nope, I poured chilled water over a sugar cube, like I'd seen in period movies. Five parts water for one part absinthe, which is what I had read online. It tasted like bad licorice candy.

LP--it was French absinthe. I forget the brand, but it was reasonably expensive. Thankfully, I just bought a little sample bottle.

mpicco--From what I've read, the psychotropic effects of wormwood extract are greatly exaggerated. The hallucinogenic effect that people talked about in Van-Gogh-era France was likely due to (1) people getting truly hammered, (2) impurities in the absinthe, and (3) willful self-delusion (if you really really want an alcoholic drink to give you hallucinations, if you drink enough of it, it will).

I have drunk Absinthe straight plenty of times. Nothing wrong with it.

In other news, I'm very thankful to my parents for bringing me plum liquor from back home. It is delicious!

I was just introduced to Liqor 43 this weekend. Very smooth and not too bad of a taste. It seems to mix very well. I learned a drink called Dreamsicle. 1 part Liqor 43, two parts milk, two parts orange juice. Delicious, especially when blended with ice.