Lives saved by Top Gear

rearden82

So we've all heard some people claim Top Gear has mystical brainwashing powers that cause mild-mannered law-abiding citizens to become raging lunatics who try to go 300 mph in their Focuses.

Which says more about their maturity, mental acuity, and critical thinking ability than anything else. Apparently they feel compelled to mimic whatever they see on the flickering box in their living rooms, so they assume everyone else has those same urges.

Back to the point: Why are they going out of their way to ignore what the show has done to SAVE lives?

If Top Gear didn't exist, or if the government drones got their way and forced the stunt to be called off, Richard Hammond wouldn't have had his accident. Which means the air ambulance service would never have had a windfall so huge that they can now cover their operating costs AND buy a second helicopter.

So while the whining, hand-wringing bureaucrats have been warning people about the dangers of windows and doors, Top Gear has--in a matter of days--made an infinitely greater contribution to health & safety than they could ever imagine. What a surprise.

Re: Lives saved by Top Gear

Ummm yeah, you're right....I guess. It's not a very big point though....

rearden82 said:
So we've all heard some people claim Top Gear has mystical brainwashing powers that cause mild-mannered law-abiding citizens to become raging lunatics who try to go 300 mph in their Focuses.
Not really, but ok.

All's well that ends well ...

... read that as you wish.

This would be a post hoc comment more or less.

GPriest said:
This would be a post hoc comment more or less.

Well I suppose it's *possible* that thousands of people simultaneously woke up and said "Hey, I oughta donate to a rescue service!", and the accident happening just beforehand was coincidental.

I'm not trying to say that the best way to save lives is by replacing government regulations with television shows and then hoping someone becomes famous and has an accident.

It's just that I've read at least a dozen news stories that took a jab at Top Gear for supposedly encouraging irresponsible driving. And maybe that's true! But there's no evidence whatsoever to back up their argument. It's just a hunch, yet it's presented as fact in news articles.

However the effect it has had on the air ambulance service--even if it was accidental--is significant and quantifiable. Yet, unlike someone's opinion based on their feelings, it's not deemed newsworthy. That's what bothers me.

There's no proof to support what you're saying. I only think it will put a few people off driving fast and even then they might still drive round corners like the stig. I think Top gear as a whole probably gives more influence to drive like a maniac than it brings sense. How many people will be driving fast to avoid the helicopter police in a stolen car without thinking of the time when Jeremy drove away from that gunship? I know I would.. (Just I don't steal cars).

And what about the people who will think twice about going quickly now that something happened to hammond. Clarkson and Top gear could put a positive spin on this by using it to warn people of the dangers of motor sport even when safety is accounted for. It's an interesting debate, we shall see how it pans out.

I drove fast before I watched Top Gear, and I will drive fast after Top Gear is long gone (hopefully not anytime soon). The only effect Top Gear has had on my driving is the sound track playing in my head and the occasional Scandinavian Flick.

I wish that people would stop blaming the media for their idiocy. Top Gear might even make you a better driver. If your stupid enough to emulate some idiotic video game then you deserve what you get and have a pre-existing idiot condtion. :x

worxman02 said:
I wish that people would stop blaming the media for their idiocy. Top Gear might even make you a better driver. If your stupid enough to emulate some idiotic video game then you deserve what you get and have a pre-existing idiot condtion. :x

Although, let us hope that these idiots do not cause harm to others. Other then that.... fair game.

Maybe Top Gear should come with one of those Jackass-style disclaimers before every show.
Jackass-title.jpg

"Hey, Richard Hammond drove a jet car and that looked REALLY KEWL!!!1!11!1 I'm gonna go find a jet car and doo it myself!!1!?!111`!@~!@1!exclamation!1!!"

Let's see if my Vauxhall Nova will float!!

worxman02 said:
That's exactly what i've been saying... Excelent point.

Wow...that first post is quite a stretch. I don't think even Gumbo could argue this one.