Logitech G25 vs Manual Car

Logitech G25 vs Manual Car

• Total voters

lv2xlr8

Car(s)
99 Mistubishi Galant
So basically I've run into a conundrum, I want to learn how to drive a manual car but I am relatively broke. Unfortunately in the US most of us do not get taught on a standard trans while having our learners permit. I learned on a slushbox and since my dad really isn't into cars much I never got to practice on a family car with a proper gearbox.

Anyways to the point, I have 2 options. One I buy a cheap and I mean CHEAP manual car. Preferably RWD but it's pretty impossible to find. The only problem is that I'll have to pay for the car + license plates + registration + insurance + maintenance if it turns out to be a piece of shit which it will likely be if it is dirt cheap.

Option 2 would be to buy a G25 racing wheel. I'd much rather prefer the car but it isn't always the most practical idea. The positive of the G25 is that I won't really have any other costs besides the wheel and maybe a seat for me to mount it too. I'd also be able to race on some legendary race tracks lol.

Well hopefully I could get some input on this since some of you have used the G25 and know how to drive a standard trans. Just curious to see how realistic it is. I know nothing will come close to the real thing but a temp fix for now.

The G25 is good for getting the basic idea of a manual, but as a tool to learn with, no. You won't learn anything at all about how to clutch properly or hill starts, or anything of practical use. It's just a big expensive toy, really.

If you really want to learn to use a manual properly, look for some performance driving schools. You'll have more fun doing that, than sitting at home pushing around bits of plastic.

If you really want to learn to use a manual properly, look for some performance driving schools. You'll have more fun doing that, than sitting at home pushing around bits of plastic.
He could spend a lot more on a driving school than just buying a beater and learning himself. The latter is what I would recommend. Get an old Celica, or Civic or idk, anything manual and running for $500. Take it to a parking lot and learn, then run it into the ground :lol:. Trust me, owning a POS, especially early in your driving 'career' is very liberating.

^^
Same answer as those two

G25 will give you the general idea, but is no way near going to be able to help you with a proper manual situation. Shifter is no where near the feel of a real one, and clutch pedal does have weight, but no "sweet spot". I would find a friend with a manual and an empty parking lot to learn the basics, then find an affordable manual car to have.

A G25 is a great wheel though, and will give you a decent experience on racing sims though :mrgreen:

Seeing as how you are in the Chicago suburbs, what I'm about to suggest maybe a problem, but I'll pitch the idea anyways.

A friend of mine in New Hampshire bought a really cheap VW off craigslist (around $400) and learned how to drive stick up in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire.. without registering it, no plates, no insurance. He thrashed it about through the woods and some one lane roads that get traveled on maybe once an hour, and when it finally died a few months later he just sold it off for scrap for $150.

The G25 is good for getting the basic idea of a manual, but as a tool to learn with, no. You won't learn anything at all about how to clutch properly or hill starts, or anything of practical use. It's just a big expensive toy, really.

Go to a major city around you and ask different driving schools if they have a manual car you can learn to drive. This is what I'm doing and thank god that manual car that I requested is actually a 04 Mustang GT and not some eco box. Actually scrap that just do what crazyrussian says. I love that idea.

I wonder if there will ever be an affordable simulation which can simulate the real feel of a clutch.

lol, learning how to drive a manual on a G25???

:lmao:

Seriously, the things people come up with.

If you don't have a car that has one, why think of ways to learn to drive standard? The ability to drive a manual takes all of 5 minutes to gain.

Instead of getting a wheel for a computer, which in itself is expensive, go to an advanced driving school. Learn to use a manual and other features of a car, such as the steering, all in one day!

Getting a computer wheel to learn to drive. Ha! I'll be playing Wii Sports to learn to play tennis better.

To all those who actually consider this as an option: STOP SIMULATING, GO OUT AND DO STUFF FOR REAL!

Buy a chevy chevette. They are cheap as hell, fairly reliable, easy to fix/maintain. AND RWD!!! one of the cheapest ones out there.

Seeing as how you are in the Chicago suburbs, what I'm about to suggest maybe a problem, but I'll pitch the idea anyways.

A friend of mine in New Hampshire bought a really cheap VW off craigslist (around $400) and learned how to drive stick up in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire.. without registering it, no plates, no insurance. He thrashed it about through the woods and some one lane roads that get traveled on maybe once an hour, and when it finally died a few months later he just sold it off for scrap for $150.

do what they say : buy a shitbox, don't register or insure it but just drive it on parking lots and stuff

a G25 wheel is still a gaming wheel, you won't get the feel of a real manual gearbox, nor the feeling of "clicking" it into gear etc

plus the clutch will be all wrong

Do it in a real car - find a way, there's no other method that will teach you anywhere near as well.

Not to mention that the basic training the G25 would give you is something you can learn just by looking up how to shift gears in a manual. The concept isn't hard, it's doing it nicely and smoothly that takes practice... and that you can only gain in a real car.

The basics are nothing... I've driven two manuals in my life for a total of 20 minutes and I would say I can drive stick. But you wouldn't want to sit beside me in a manual unless you like discomfort.

Manual car > G25

It's a very good wheel, but nothing compared to the real thing.

This.

I had no idea how to work a manual and I went to Skip Barber and they had me doing standing starts inside 5 minutes.

Those 1-day schools are about 800 bucks now. 2-days are like 1200. Sounds expensive, but insurance companies REALLY like Skip Barber. :) You'll save a fortune by the time you're 25, trust me.

Shifting gears isn't hard, clutch is what needs getting used to. G25 has no feedback on clutch, it will tech you nothing about manual controls.

But all of that was already said...

You actually think you are going to learn to drive manual by playing a video game ? :roflmao: :lmao:

You actually think you are going to learn to drive manual by playing a video game ? :roflmao: :lmao:

Actually, back in the 80s, Atari came out with a driving simulator for arcades that was actually adopted in a number of California schools with a couple of modifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Drivin'

A whole bunch of kids learned to drive stick on that thing.