London 2012 Olympic Games

CTV uses total medal count too, deal with it. (it's mostly because the COC set a goal for Canada to be 12th in total medal count). I don't know, I like total more, like I wouldn't say that a country that wins three medals but they're all gold and from one sport is better than a country with no gold and like 20 silvers in a ton of different sports (just making up random numbers)

With those numbers the silver medalling team would be higher but the total medal count removes the merit for getting a Gold over a Bronze. The way that we (and the IOC) do it is much better IMO. If two teams had an equal number of Golds and Bronzes (and nothing else) - according to you they are equally matched. This is clearly not true.

That USA relay guy who broke his leg halfway around. :|

I was making my tea, and BBC1 Olympics was on in the background. Wait a minute... I know that song.

:cool:

That USA relay guy who broke his leg halfway around. :|

I was making my tea, and BBC1 Olympics was on in the background. Wait a minute... I know that song.

:cool:

I know what you mean, I overheard some music during the BBC's coverage the other day and thought to myself "where have I heard that before" wasn't until shortly after I remembered where...

Also, the 200m. Whatever anyone thinks of him. You've got to admire Usain Bolts personality. I couldn't help but laugh when he gave a fist bump to the lad behind his starting blocks.

Aand second gold for us :D

151285.jpg

Any of her throws would secure her the gold medal, what a performance.

This is what the Kiwi's call an Olympic BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blowup:

^ Well done to Spotakova & Czech Rep. on the Gold medal and performance.

Fantastic performance by David Rudisha of Kenya to set a new World Record in the 800m and win the gold. Great race where nearly every competitor set PBs, SBs or national records.

Probably going to be somewhat eclipsed by Jamaica's clean sweep of the 200m by Bolt, Blake and Weir. Nice celebrations after as well, but I think the best performance was by the young guy Weir, very much in the shadow of the the two big names, still did his work very well.

Team GB also had a couple of firsts today in the women's contact events.
Jade Jones from Wales won gold in Taekwando and Nicola Adams won a boxing gold. (Team GB also won in the horse-dancing as well, apparently.)

Also, saw highlights of the 10km open water swimming for women, now that is a brutal looking event taking about 2 hours. Eva Risztov of Hungary won the womens gold.

Complete agreement. When the National Lottery was first started. There was complaints from groups who proclaimed that it would increase gambling and money problems. What they've completely forgotten about is how it has benefited a sports programme that was woefully under funded (back in Atlanta 1996. Great Britain only brought home 1 gold medal).

Wow, I didn't know that, just shows what a difference the Lottery fundng has made. The gold medal count of Team GB as of today is 25.

:smile:

A well thought out programme of investment which kept the government out - this is exactly the sort of thing that the government needs to avoid getting involved with. See some stuff is better done by business / non governmental agencies and some are done better by the government.

Ukanian Government (any flavour you care to think of) + slightly complex = Fail

I'm going to miss Usain Bolt whenever the time comes and he retires.

MOEQy.gif

hKmUq.gif

Coolest guy on the planet. No question.

Coolest guy on the planet. No question.

Truth. Few athletes are worthy of being looked up to by fans, Usain is one of those people. Polite? check. Appreciative of his fans? check. Great teammate? check. Respectful of other countries national anthems? check. All around pretty awesome guy? check.

I'm in awe of the rhythmic gymnasts....have my vote for most talented athletes in the games. Even the synchronized swimmers are awesome.

Even the synchronized swimmers are awesome.
Absolutely! Here's the team we sent:

292950_385736751481296_1151609113_n.jpg

They came last, maybe because they did their routine to AC/DC whilst the judges were getting all tumescent over some classical rubbish, but probably because they weren't much good. That aside - Top quality athletes. I will be buying their calendar in support of their athletic achievements.

:thumbsup:

Truth. Few athletes are worthy of being looked up to by fans, Usain is one of those people. Polite? check. Appreciative of his fans? check. Great teammate? check. Respectful of other countries national anthems? check. All around pretty awesome guy? check.

Carl Lewis might disagree. :p

I'm in awe of the rhythmic gymnasts....have my vote for most talented athletes in the games. Even the synchronized swimmers are awesome.

Their eye to hand co ordination must be off the scale. How some of them were able to throw objects in the air, do a little dance and then still have time to catch the falling object is beyond my abilities or understanding. Impressive stuff.

Obviously well done to Mo Farah as well on his second gold. Amazing race, wasn't sure he would do it in the end.

Absolutely! Here's the team we sent:

292950_385736751481296_1151609113_n.jpg

They came last, maybe because they did their routine to AC/DC whilst the judges were getting all tumescent over some classical rubbish, but probably because they weren't much good. That aside - Top quality athletes. I will be buying their calendar in support of their athletic achievements.

:thumbsup:

So so hot. Yeah, I wasn't happy with the end results. I thought Spain should have won Gold...also thought the Canadians were better than the Russians. But i'm no expert of course.

Mens 10m Diving final about to start - lets hope the crowd can knock the Chinese's minds off track so they fuck up :p

Also - huge congrats to Mo Farah in the 5000m as well. :) An excellent double Gold from him!

One final point - I've noticed a lot of times when before events in the arenas they play Muse's Survival with video (as its the official song) and every time it gets applause at the end. :lol: Its just a video - go watch it on Youtube :p