London begins installing indestructible, camouflaged speed cameras!

Red light speed cameras here are generally sign posted before the intersection so you know it's there. If you still somehow manage get caught, you can only blame yourself.

I've got the perfect vehicle for these speed cameras...

A giant mechacoon. :p I found it on the internet. Though imagine what the road tax would be like *cringes*

The Internet, you say? Also, I imagine that anyone who had a giant raccoon robot probably wouldn't worry about road taxes. :lol:

EDIT: Actually, what's to stop someone from just covering the lens in black gaffer tape? You wouldn't be damaging anything, so they couldn't fine you very much, and I doubt they could make a tape-proof speed camera.

Last edited:
Wow, that's just inviting destruction. I almost wish I lived there, just so I could get a good crack at one of those. Thermite is a kick ass idea, but you'd have to light it off on top of the thing. I think I would just get an oxy-fuel set up with a huge tip and torch the thing off at ground level. That steel probably isn't more than a 1/4in thick, you should be able to get around it well before any police arrive. Then push it over and roll it down the street. And laugh. Maniacally.

TVRtuscanS1.jpg

or faster...

^Nah. You can't beat the TVR for coolness/speed ratio.

I still like the Gordon Ramsey ideas of minimum intrusion, maximum effectiveness

God only knows that they'll be cameras watching the cameras watching the cameras though

Red light speed cameras here are generally sign posted before the intersection so you know it's there. If you still somehow manage get caught, you can only blame yourself.

Red light cameras are a different thing entirely. People that run red lights should be caught and punished severely. They just need to time the lights so they actually catch people running red lights and not people slipping in after a short yellow.

Don't confuse red light cameras with red light speed cameras. Red light speed cameras suck because if you speed up a wee bit to get through a yellow light and the light goes red while you're still in the intersection, not only do you get a ticket for running a red light but you get a speeding ticket as too!

Technically what you were doing is illegal on both counts but it's not very reasonable to give somebody a fine for it. Let alone two fines. If you honestly believe that it would be safer to speed up a little bit to get through a yellow than to try to stop for it who are they to argue? especially since 'they' is a bloody intimate object! And if you're only going to be speeding for a very short time over a distance of 50 metres who should even care?

No, but I know how to build one.

A car battery and some jumper cables would probably be easier though.

I'd try one of these:

Cov2.gif
Leaving it in drive and holding the brake as your buddy throws a strap around it? Good call.

you're assuming that there is an antenna and that the big metal casing isn't acting as a convenient faraday cage.

Two points to the smart cookie. Yes, one would have to get the current inside the housing.

I thought England was a free and democratic country? I must have been mistaken. Same thing is starting to take shape in my own country too.

Use your voting power while we still have it.

Yes, speed cameras and totalitarian regimes are one and the same.

Actually I did see a couple of Gatsos in central London during my little weekend trip there last weekend. But OMG, the Tube was full of cameras, I have honestly never been on a place with more cameras...