LONDON EXPLOSIONS

BLASTS ON TUBES AND BUS

According to reports a bus has exploded in central London just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground.

"I saw lots of people running up a road and then saw the top of a bus destroyed," one eyewitness told Sky News.

Sky News producer Bob Mills said he heard the loud explosion near Euston Station.

The entire Tube network has been shut down following the blasts at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square.

It is understood several people have been wounded in the underground blasts, with one unconfirmed eyewitness telling Sky News he saw "bodies on the line".

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from King's Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around King's Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."

Several hurt in Tube 'explosion'

Several people have been injured after explosions blamed on a power surge led to the whole London Underground network being closed down until further notice.

British Transport Police said some of the power surges had caused explosions.

'Screaming and crying'

Jacqui Head, from BBC News, who had just left King's Cross station on a Piccadilly Line train as an explosion happened, said: "Everything was normal. Suddenly there was a massive bang, the train jolted.

"There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying."

The train was kept in the tunnel for 20 minutes and no announcement was made to explain the delay to passengers, she added.

London Fire Brigade said four crews were at Liverpool Street and more were on their way.

Another passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC Five Live that he saw injured people.

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated."

Eyewitness Paul Woloszyn from BBC News, who was at Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line, said: "We were told there was a bomb at Liverpool Street station.

"I was on the Tube, and they stopped the train and told everyone to get off and evacuate the station."

He said staff had said the entire Tube network had been affected, and leaflets had been handed out with details of alternative bus routes.

Another eyewitness, Dorothy Molloy, had been on a Tube train at King's Cross and said "staff just chucked everyone out of the station".

She said staff there had not given any details, but she said two passengers she had spoken to had said they had received messages saying there had been bombs.

"People didn't really know what was going on, they were just huffing and puffing and saying how annoying it was," she said.

"People don't seem to be panicked, but there's so many police and ambulances coming into the areas. People are just concerned, and some are just annoyed at the dela

A City of London Police spokesman said there were "quite a large number of casualties" at Aldgate Station.

A bus was ripped apart in an explosion in central London, an eyewitness told news agency PA, and there were reports of at least one fatality.

PA also quoted Union officials as saying sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

British Transport Police Surges took place at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident" and said there were casualties.

A spokesman said officers were called out to Aldgate station at 8.50am to assist City of London and British Transport Police.

"All of the emergency services are on scene. There have been some casualties. This has been declared as a major incident," said the spokesman. "It's too early to state what has happened at this stage," he said.

The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said there had been no problems with its system which could have contributed to the incidents.

symathies to injured. Hope they get those involved.

And American Idiot shouldn't this be in the Off Topic Section?

Live internet broadcast link (copy and paste link into Realplayer):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/live/nb/rm/video/now3_nb.ram

For those of you that are having issues with the direct link here is the BBC feed to copy and paste into your browser:

this link has been shortned, please do so in the future -viper

Link with video and text:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ifs_news/hi/nb_rm_fs.stm?nbram=1&news=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1

my sympathies go to all in London experiencing this distress and especially to those effected.

sympathies to those affected... my friend is still trying to contact his sis, hopefully all is well

All of us knew this was coming. Too much good news in one week so humans have to destroy this. Gotta love human behaviour. Hopefully everybody pulls through.

Is this the work of the anarchists/anti-capitalist protestors due to the G8 Summit or is this the work of Bin Ladens guys?

Well they has been an internet statment from the european al qaeda that was sent to the BBC. But I wouldn't trust anything yet, usually about 3-4 different groups try and claim this sort of thing.

To me there are 4 real options

G8 protestors (you'd think they would be doing this up in scotland)

al qaeda (or some other ji-had type org) maybe under the cover of the G8 protests

nutters (pissed off we got the olyimpic bid) pretty unlightly in my opinion

IRA (or some other irish terror force) Again I don't think so, they usual liked bigger bangs and always stayed away from the tube system. Plus there were no secondary bombs to get the emergancy services.

This was clearly an attack just to cripple London's transport systems, 2 very major stations with rail links, I'm suprised Victoria wasn't on the list. The bomb on the bus is very strange though (maybe bomb wasn't able to delivered to correct place in time)

The funny thing is my sister was out last night clubing and said the police were searching the bus's then so sounds like they had a tip off.

Oh well we will just have to wait and see, all pretty grim stuff

justin syder said:
Is this the work of the anarchists/anti-capitalist protestors due to the G8 Summit or is this the work of Bin Ladens guys?

Well an group called Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda did it. This group was previously unheard of.

Heres the letter they posted:
In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.
Nation of Islam and Arab nation: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge against the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heroic mujahideen have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern, and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British Government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahideen exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: "You who believe: If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."

SubieMY05 said:
Live internet broadcast link (copy and paste link into Realplayer):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/live/nb/rm/video/now3_nb.ram

For those of you that are having issues with the direct link here is the BBC feed to copy and paste into your browser:

BBC
Link with video and text:

Video and text

my sympathies go to all in London experiencing this distress and especially to those effected.

Could you edit these mile long links??? to something like did above.

Now thats giving my religion a bad name. Bloody f***** carrying out terrible bloody terrorist attacks and putting Islam and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as their cause.

I hope if they rot i hell, they will. our religion doesn't say to kill innocent people.

Jihad is not killing innocent people and and hiding away.

such a shame.. i am really pissed off.

sympathy to the ones involve :(

no clue who did it and why, but the panic/fear etc caused now, will make people support "wars against terror" even more :thumbsdown:

raheel_qamar said:
Now thats giving my religion a bad name. Bloody f***** carrying out terrible bloody terrorist attacks and putting Islam and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) as their cause.

I hope if they rot i hell, they will. our religion doesn't say to kill innocent people.

Jihad is not killing innocent people and and hiding away.

such a shame.. i am really pissed off.

I could understand, (I think) but I'm sure most people are aware that these are extremists and not like every random Muslim.

NYTimes saying some group's website claiming responsibility.

Spiegel Online posted a statement it attributed to an Arabic Web site. The statement, in Arabic, said that it was from a group called the Secret Al Qaeda Jihad Organization in Europe and that the group had carried out the attack in retaliation of Britain's involvement in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"In response to the massacre that Britain has carried out in Iraq and Afghanistan: The heroic mujahedeen has undertaken a blessed attack in London," the statement said. "Now Britain is burning with fear, dread and dismay from north, south, east and west."

It continued: "We have warned the British government and the British people again and again. We have carried out our promise and undertaken a blessed military attack in Britain after great efforts by the heroic mujahedeen over a long period of time to ensure the success of the attack."

The statement also warned "Denmark, Italy and all of the Crusader governments" that they will be attacked if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The veracity of the claim could not be verified and various groups often claim responsibility after terror attacks. An Al Qaeda group based in Europe also claimed responsibility for the train bombings on March 11, 2004, in Madrid, which killed 191 and injured 1,900.

The statement also warned "Denmark, Italy and all of the Crusader governments" that they will be attacked if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The danish news keep repeating this, it's a little disturbing and very frightening.

Fecking unreal like, ust after they won the 2012 Olympic bid then there bombed, it wont be for the G8 because its nothing to do with London

This really is truely awful Ive been suspecting someone would bomb a transit system here in DC were I currently am for a few months rather then London. Hopefully we can prevent such a thing from happening here since we know they will hit mass transit system. Riding to work tonight is going to be intresting.