London to pilot a GPS based speed limit system

I?ll spare you all the nanny state and big brother is watching you comments. Even assuming they don?t eventually expand it to limit your speed whether you want it or not, this is just another electronic gizmo that will encourage people to concentrate less on their driving. And until we have cars that can actually 100% drive themselves, that?s not a good idea.

if it's turnoffable, I see no difference between this and a set max speed on my wife's Picasso, you can set it to whatever and it won't go quicker, unless you floor it. Handy in town when there's a LOT of speedcameras so you don't get caught doing 52 kph in a 50 zone

also, this would mean you automatically know the max speedlimit for anywhere, which is good to stop misunderstandings...

99% of people would turn the nanny off though, only really old people wouldn't

if it's turnoffable, I see no difference between this and a set max speed on my wife's Picasso, you can set it to whatever and it won't go quicker, unless you floor it. Handy in town when there's a LOT of speedcameras so you don't get caught doing 52 kph in a 50 zone

also, this would mean you automatically know the max speedlimit for anywhere, which is good to stop misunderstandings...

99% of people would turn the nanny off though, only really old people wouldn't
My regular SatNav/GPS has a little speed limit display but it can't interface with a car (its a standalone).

I don't see much reason for all these things, we should make the leap to self driving cars (as long as I can turn it off at 3am on a B road) that would actually decrease accidents and improve flow of traffic.

Or just leave the boot down and cruise along at exactly the speed limit :p

It actually isn't bad for inside of cities. From what I understand, there are a lot of speed cameras over there. Should help avoid a few tickets. Outside of cities, just turn it off.

I wonder how it limits speed if it does rev limiting it would be fun to keep your foot down and keep going "wop, wop, wop" at 20 :p

Stupid idea. I hope some low-iq heads will roll as soon as someone dies, not being able to accelerate himself out of an accident (I would be very much sorry to hear that, if it ever happens :cry:)

Also, on slippery surfaces, it won't allow you to have enough momentum to correct a tailslide, if it happens at near top allowed speed.

seems perfect for over protective parents!

seems perfect for over protective parents!

There is a better solution for those.

There is a company that will sell you GPS device for the car and software for your PC that allows you to track the car and see where and how fast they are going. In case they are going too fast you have the ability to remote kill the engine.

I think GRtak and GraemeH are right. It's just like ESP. Override button is vanishing, or allowing only for short periods of time, or until brakes are applied. Soon it won't be possible to disable it.

I DON'T want something like automatic speed control. Especially if it is something that you can still override instead of being something that you can activate at will.

Let's teach people how to drive carefully instead!

I'd like to see how that would work on cars like mine with electronic gremlins. :rofl:
"our system says you were going 140 mph"
"the car only goes 115."
"...."

*Goes off to buy fully analog car*

HA! Another reason to buy an old muscle car....

Is speeding really that big of a fucking issue?!?!

No, but revenue generation is.

How much do you want to bet that Stage II would involve implementation of an automatic ticketing system if you don't let it limit your speed?

How much do you want to bet that Stage II would involve implementation of an automatic ticketing system if you don't let it limit your speed?

Didn't they try to pass one of those bills in the US a while back? Automatic ticketing via black box? It got shot down pretty quick IIRC.

The problem with these systems is that as they become more common they may (will) be required by insurance companies to maintain your coverage. The government is not above it either, a recent case here in the US involved an oficer of the court planting a GPS tracking device on someone's car without a warrant. The information led to the man's conviction of violating a restraining/protective order; the problem is that when this was challenged in court the judges upheld the illegal use of the GPS device.

This really isn't the problem, though. Here in the US I don't think we would ever let the government track our movements so openly. The problem is insurance companies. You have to have insurance to drive a car and the insurance companies set their own policies with some government oversight. It is not too far fetched for insurance companies to require GPS tracking devices to be installed on their customers' cars.

The other problem is something I have noticed with my sat-nav. When I am in a tunnel, parking garage, under an overpass or an over-under bridge, the system looses sight of the sky and just makes a "best guess" before packing it in. The problem is when it reestablishes it's position the sytem plots a direct and instant correction in the system. If you were to belive my sat-nav, my Civic has done a max speed of 209 mph.

If this becomes mandatory, I'm sure there will be modchip (or something like that) to defeat it. Just one more mod we car enthusiast has to do.

I find it amazing that it is the United States military that supports and launches these satellites with its own money. A gift to the world it seems.

Here's my question. What ever happened to making it a lot harder to get a driver's license? Like every idiot in LA has one, yet people still wonder why there are so many wrecks. This system will help people speeding, but they're still forgetting that the idiot who drives the car can still kill someone at 40 mph.