Looking for a car in the $10k range, need help...

Nice. Yeah, not many S4's or RS4's around here at all; the M3's probably outnumber them 10-1.

Anyway, took an RX-8 out for a spin. It was pretty fun, but gutless. I couldn't imagine spending lots of time on the highway in one. Decent looking interior, but seemed really flimsy. And absolutely unforgivable fuel economy. Then I found a great deal on an 04 A4, in a really nice blue...and with a hard-to-find 5-speed. I was all set to buy, and then complications set in - the buyer's wife ended up 'pre-selling' it to one of her friends. I was choked.

And then I found this:

01.jpg

(Not mine...but same thing)

An 05 GT with 30,000 miles. Scooped it up super cheap. Just found out today it has an extended warranty until 2011. Already have a Kenne Bell 2.6 twin screw on the way, and Eibach coilovers and GT500 wheels. Let the modifications begin!

Last edited:
Awesome. Did you get the 5speed? I know how hard it is to find manual Mustangs.

Nice. Yeah, not many S4's or RS4's around here at all; the M3's probably outnumber them 10-1.

Anyway, took an RX-8 out for a spin. It was pretty fun, but gutless. I couldn't imagine spending lots of time on the highway in one. Decent looking interior, but seemed really flimsy. And absolutely unforgivable fuel economy. Then I found a great deal on an 04 A4, in a really nice blue...and with a hard-to-find 5-speed. I was all set to buy, and then complications set in - the buyer's wife ended up 'pre-selling' it to one of her friends. I was choked.

And then I found this:

URL]

(Not mine...but same thing)

An 05 GT with 30,000 miles. Scooped it up super cheap. Just found out today it has an extended warranty until 2011. Already have a Kenne Bell 2.6 twin screw on the way, and Eibach coilovers and GT500 wheels. Let the modifications begin!

The RX-8 works fine on the highway - you can downshift into the powerband. The problem is setting off, where there are several seconds of not much happening :p

Nice Mustang, that's some seriously low mileage.

The RX-8 works fine on the highway - you can downshift into the powerband. The problem is setting off, where there are several seconds of not much happening :p

Nice Mustang, that's some seriously low mileage.

Yeah, but its much more fun to just stomp the gas and go. The Mustang also gets substantially better fuel economy than the RX-8, even when flogging it. Easier to squeeze more power out of it as well, unlike the other options here.

Yeah, but its much more fun to just stomp the gas and go. The Mustang also gets substantially better fuel economy than the RX-8, even when flogging it. Easier to squeeze more power out of it as well, unlike the other options here.

Careful, you sound like you're praising automatics :p

He isn't, Mustangs have torque. :p

:?:

Ooooh, I think it's that thing that you can kind of feel sometimes when you hit 5000 rpm.

Nice choice, i think the engine sounds nice and throaty in the Mustang.

More A4s or G35s for me haha.

02-04 Audi A4 1.8T - easy enough to find, hopefully you don't mind a soft ride. but like you said, easy power, great cars. parts should be easy and cheap enough to find as long as you don't go to Audi for them.

Soft ride compared to what? A Viper?

Audis are consistently among the stiffer sprung cars out there, particularly with the sport package, such as mine.

In any case I wouldn't recommend an A4 unless you are able to do the majority of the work on the car yourself. Go with the G35.

Easy enough to solve with either an aftemarket suspension (around $700 for Bilstein shocks + H&R springs) or getting a USP. Also if you are looking at the B5 models I'm pretty sure the S4 can be had for around 10K.

Doesn't have to be USP...the sport package uses the same suspension, albeit with 17" wheels.