Looking for a first DSLR

Evel

Car(s)
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
Lately, I've been getting into photography, and so my point and shoot isn't cutting it anymore. Actually, it would be rubbish even if I didn't like photography, it's useless at adjusting exposure, and being a point and shoot, I can't do it manually.

So I've decided to get a DSLR. I've been looking around lately and came across this: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10003891&catid=#

Is that any good, or maybe someone has a better suggestion? My budget's around $1000 CAD(And that's already stretching it, so it can't be much more expensive than that), and I'd like to have 2 lenses along with the camera (1 wide-angle, one telephoto). I'm also going to be buying extra memory, an extra battery, and a UV filter, so keep that in mind when adding up the price.

Last edited:
I see no reason to not spring for the package deal you just found. Go ahead and snatch it up, whatchoo waiting for?

There is always the Olympus E-620. It's one of the smallest and most compact DSLRs on the market featuring a fast AF system as well as built in image stabilization. All tests I have read says it's pretty much excellent, so there is just the question if it fits your hands.
607510.jpg

$800 US at B&H, or $870 CAD at Vistek.ca at Vistek for the 14-42mm f3,5-5,6 and 40-150mm f4-5,6 kit. There is also the $700 US at B&H or $750 CAD at Vistek.ca 14-42 kit with the $330 US at B&H or $ CAD at Vistek.ca 70-300mm f4-5,6 tele-zoom.

I would also look into other systems, such as Pentax and Sony which are usually overshadowed by Nikon and Canon. Anyway, theres fairly little to choose between in therms of performance...

Last edited:
The XSi is good, the package is a decent deal, go for it.

I've got a Sony A200 and I have no complaints other than a lesser variety of available lenses than other brands.
They've recently brought out the A230 so I'm not sure if they still make it...

There is always the Olympus E-620. It's one of the smallest and most compact DSLRs on the market featuring a fast AF system as well as built in image stabilization. All tests I have read says it's pretty much excellent, so there is just the question if it fits your hands.
607510.jpg

$800 US at B&H, or $870 CAD at Vistek.ca at Vistek for the 14-42mm f3,5-5,6 and 40-150mm f4-5,6 kit. There is also the $700 US at B&H or $750 CAD at Vistek.ca 14-42 kit with the $330 US at B&H or $ CAD at Vistek.ca 70-300mm f4-5,6 tele-zoom.

I would also look into other systems, such as Pentax and Sony which are usually overshadowed by Nikon and Canon. Anyway, theres fairly little to choose between in therms of performance...

Biggest problem with that is that it uses xD cards, which are bloody expensive and don't come in big capacities. For the price of a 2GB xD card (Which is the biggest capacity I could find so far), I can get an 8GB SD, and still save $10.

Lately, I've been getting into photography, and so my point and shoot isn't cutting it anymore. Actually, it would be rubbish even if I didn't like photography, it's useless at adjusting exposure and aperture, and being a point and shoot, I can't do it manually.

So I've decided to get a DSLR. I've been looking around lately and came across this: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10003891&catid=#

Is that any good, or maybe someone has a better suggestion? My budget's around $1000 CAD(And that's already stretching it, so it can't be much more expensive than that), and I'd like to have 2 lenses along with the camera (1 wide-angle, one telephoto). I'm also going to be buying extra memory, an extra battery, and a UV filter, so keep that in mind when adding up the price.

For $1000 I would be looking at getting a used setup. I started with an XTi, and the 40D I moved to after awhile crushed it in every aspect.

Just based off of used prices from my head, a used 40D runs about $650.

Below is a quick list of a few lenses to look at, depending on what you want to do with your photography.

-Canon 18-55 IS. Nice, cheap starter zoom. IS is nice, IQ is questionable at best.

-Canon 50/1.8. Great for the price. Stop it down to f/2.8, and it's the sharpest you'll find under $100.

-Canon 85/1.8. If you're going to shoot cars, this is the lens for you to get. Lightning quick, great DOF. Read the reviews.

If $1000 was my budget, I would be scouring the forums for deals, and could probably find a 40D, 85/1.8, and 18-55 IS for that $1000.

I realize that doesn't leave another $100 for accessories, but suck it up. :p

Don't get that kit from futurestore. The 75-300 is a stupid lens - the glass is pretty poor and it doesn't have IS and has a small aperture so it's not very useful in anything but bright sunlight. You'd be much better off with the uber bargain EF-s 55-250 lens, much better quality and it has IS.

XSi + 18-55 IS + spare battery + 4 gig card + little bag
http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSIBKA5.html

+

55-250 IS + uv filter + lens cleaning kit
http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSK.html?searchinfo=canon+55-250

$957.35 USD
current exchange rate = $1024.53 CAD

$25 more than the futureshop kit, much better tele lens and a spare battery and a uv filter that will fit both lenses and a couple other goodies. The futureshop kit will be $1130 after taxes, and you'll still need to get the other stuff you want seperately. The Adorama kit would end up costing $1085.75 CAD with shipping, throw on another $170-ish if customs charges you duty. Just buying a single battery pack will cost you $80, UV filters vary widely in price, all in all the Adorama kit is better and around the same price if not cheaper once you get all the kit you want.

Last edited:
It is a good starting package. If you get the money, go for it!

For $1000 I would be looking at getting a used setup. I started with an XTi, and the 40D I moved to after awhile crushed it in every aspect.

Just based off of used prices from my head, a used 40D runs about $650.

Below is a quick list of a few lenses to look at, depending on what you want to do with your photography.

-Canon 18-55 IS. Nice, cheap starter zoom. IS is nice, IQ is questionable at best.

-Canon 50/1.8. Great for the price. Stop it down to f/2.8, and it's the sharpest you'll find under $100.

-Canon 85/1.8. If you're going to shoot cars, this is the lens for you to get. Lightning quick, great DOF. Read the reviews.

If $1000 was my budget, I would be scouring the forums for deals, and could probably find a 40D, 85/1.8, and 18-55 IS for that $1000.

I realize that doesn't leave another $100 for accessories, but suck it up. :p

I don't mind spending an extra $100 on the accessories if the camera and lenses are good.

Don't get that kit from futurestore. The 75-300 is a stupid lens - the glass is pretty poor and it doesn't have IS and has a small aperture so it's not very useful in anything but bright sunlight. You'd be much better off with the uber bargain EF-s 55-250 lens, much better quality and it has IS.

XSi + 18-55 IS + spare battery + 4 gig card + little bag
http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSIBKA5.html

+

55-250 IS + uv filter + lens cleaning kit
http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSK.html?searchinfo=canon+55-250

$957.35 USD
current exchange rate = $1024.53 CAD

$25 more than the futureshop kit, much better tele lens and a spare battery and a uv filter that will fit both lenses and a couple other goodies. The futureshop kit will be $1130 after taxes, and you'll still need to get the other stuff you want seperately. The Adorama kit would end up costing $1085.75 CAD with shipping, throw on another $170-200 if customs charges you duty. Just buying a single battery pack will cost you $80, UV filters vary widely in price, all in all the Adorama kit is better and around the same price if not cheaper once you get all the kit you want.

Well, I don't mind the lack of IS (Though I suspect it may sometimes be an issue), but small aperture and bad quality are definitely an issue. So I'll probably go for this, unless someone can suggest something better.

IS is the greatest thing ever invented. It doesn't matter so much for wide angle, but a tele lens without IS? :yucky:

Biggest problem with that is that it uses xD cards, which are bloody expensive and don't come in big capacities. For the price of a 2GB xD card (Which is the biggest capacity I could find so far), I can get an 8GB SD, and still save $10.
Eh...? All Olympus' DSLRs have two memory card slots, one for xD and annother for CF. (up to 16GB, so that should do...)

Interface
  • Media Dual slot for CompactFlash card (Type I and II), Microdrive and xD picture card
  • USB 2.0 High Speed Yes
  • Video out Yes NTSC or PAL selectable

Last edited:

I can get an 8gb CF card for pretty much the same price of an 8gb SD card, and the E-620 also accepts CF cards. It has two slots, one for CF, the other takes xD.

:)

I'd say that you should find yourself a good camera shop where you can try holding the cameras, and then picking the one that fits your hands best.

That said, the E-620 is a superb camera, and probably one of the best deals on the market today. Won't get better kit lenses, and, well, it's very good.

But as said, get the one that fits your hands. That's the best one for you.

IS is the greatest thing ever invented. It doesn't matter so much for wide angle, but a tele lens without IS? :yucky:
I can hand hold 14mm (EFL28mm) at 1/4s. IS works with wide angle too.

Last edited:
Eh...? All Olympus' DSLRs have two memory card slots, one for xD and annother for CF. (up to 16GB, so that should do...)

Interface
  • Media Dual slot for CompactFlash card (Type I and II), Microdrive and xD picture card
  • USB 2.0 High Speed Yes
  • Video out Yes NTSC or PAL selectable

Ah, my bad. Well, I'll look around for some deals, reviews and such, but I'm currently leaning towards the deal Ramseus found.

I can get an 8gb CF card for pretty much the same price of an 8gb SD card, and the E-620 also accepts CF cards. It has two slots, one for CF, the other takes xD.

:)

I'd say that you should find yourself a good camera shop where you can try holding the cameras, and then picking the one that fits your hands best.

That said, the E-620 is a superb camera, and probably one of the best deals on the market today. Won't get better kit lenses, and, well, it's very good.

But as said, get the one that fits your hands. That's the best one for you.

I think Future Shop has got cameras on display which you can hold, I'll stop by there and have a look.

To be fair, at with a standard zoom at wide angle, I can stand in the middle of the room photographing at 1/10s with or without IS. It's easy-peasy.

IS does help a lot with wide angle, as long as you understand it's limitations.

;)

I can hand hold 14mm (EFL28mm) at 1/4s. IS works with wide angle too.
I have gotten fairly sharp pictures hand held 14mm at 1/2s without IS, as that was with the E-410 and the 14-54 at f2,8. So I'm looking forward to the winter when I can night-time-snow-test out my E-520 with IS... :D

let me know if/when you're in Oslo, I'll buy you a beer if you can do that with a slower shutter speed and no IS... :p