Looking for a Jack

TBoneUs

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
So since I got my lovely set of track wheels/tires I have been using the between stupid and monumentally stupid method of using my emergence jack to change at the track. So after being chewed out I feel the need to get a jack. However looking around they all seem to be crap or really expensive. All I need to do is jack up a corner at a time and change the tires, nothing more. So what would you guy's recommendation be for a jack?

"chewed out"? I know nothing of the life of track-drivers...is there something wrong with this?

Here is a good starter set - you will also need some jacks if you are doing track work, so as to properly support the vehicle while changing pads, etc. (NEVER work on a car that's supported only by a jack!)

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00950140000P?keyword=jack

If that doesn't fit under your car, try this:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00950165000P?keyword=jack

If you want something a little more capable and have a larger budget, these come to mind:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_null_0_?pro...cts&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?rpp=60$Ntt=jack

Harbor Freight also has quite a few (from the same Chinese manufacturers) that aren't crap, just don't buy the cheapest ones.

Failing that, you can go on Craigslist and find plenty of used professional-grade jacks that just need a rebuild (if that) for cheap.

Last edited:
Yeah changing pads isnt the issue just the tires at the track. I borrow my friends shop jack/stands to do any brake work. I am well aware about not getting under a car with only a jack, I like my head and would prefer to keep it attached. Thanks for the tips sofar, I had heard mixed things on the harbor freight ones so I am not sure.

"chewed out"? I know nothing of the life of track-drivers...is there something wrong with this?
Basically they were of the opinion that it was not designed to ever be used other than an emergency and was liable to collapse any second. I was of the belief that since I was only using it to change tires and not do any more work it would be fine but one of them disagreed.

Last edited:
"They" are right, original equipment jacks are prone to failure and should be only used in emergencies.

I have used a Honda scissor jack, a part off of some sort guardrail system combined with a few chunks of 4"x4" to push the back panel of a Honda Civic back out after being rear-ended. Now tell me if that's safe... :D

If you do buy a Harbor Freight jack, there is a coupon in Car and Driver for $40 off the $100 aluminum jack. I personally have never had any experience with it, but for the price how bad could it be?

"They" are right, original equipment jacks are prone to failure and should be only used in emergencies.

Thanks for the confirmation, though I figured they (specifically Robert B. and Landon H. if you insist on the quotes around they) were correct hence the thread. But thanks for the tips sofar and that $40 off from Harbor Freight sounds good.

And please always use jack stands if you're working under the car. Ever. Regular price is $20/pair from Harbor Freight, and often on sale for $15. Cheap insurance.

Garage sales. No Joke. go to the big community ones. My friends dad got his at a garage sale and has never looked back.

it was only $20 too.

Yeah, used is a great way to get an older, high quality jack.

There is a trick to buying a cheap jack; buy the heaviest capacity one you can get. They can be marginal at their rated capacity, but if you get one that's rated for, say, 8 tons, and only ever hoist 2 tons with it, even though it is cheap it may last nearly forever with occasional use.

You may also need some wood to go under the jack stands if the work area is asphalt or dirt. It is better to weld in some steel plate, but wood that is a bit larger than the stand's base work. Keeps the stands from sinking in.

If you do buy a Harbor Freight jack, there is a coupon in Car and Driver for $40 off the $100 aluminum jack. I personally have never had any experience with it, but for the price how bad could it be?
Friend of mine had one of those. It seemed like it needed to be bled every time he used it. IIRC it was only 2 or 2.25 ton and he was using it on a lowered Chevy C10, so the weight may have been the cause.

Although, it probably weighed half what my 3-ton Craftsman jack does. :lol:

You may also need some wood to go under the jack stands if the work area is asphalt or dirt. It is better to weld in some steel plate, but wood that is a bit larger than the stand's base work. Keeps the stands from sinking in.
I used to have some squares of thick plywood that worked great for that.

After having a 1.5 ton Volvo fall on its rotor from the hydraulic jack (Big Red, $50) I am very weary of using jacks.

After this happened I started looking for a better one, but couldn't find one that will meet my needs. I don't want wheels! That's the reason my current jack failed - it fell on one side.

Get a set of jack stands ($25 per set if I recall correctly) and always put the spare wheel under the car while you are lifting it with the jack.
The way I do it is - carefully jack the car, watching closely for any movement in the jack. As soon as I can, I put a jack stand under the frame and then relieve some of the pressure in the hydraulic jack.

While we are on the subject - are there any good mechanical jacks (not hydraulic)?

After this happened I started looking for a better one, but couldn't find one that will meet my needs. I don't want wheels! That's the reason my current jack failed - it fell on one side.

you need wheels on your jack! a jack doesn't lift straight up, but in curve, the higher you lift, the closer the jack needs to come to the car...

i've had a car fall of stands because the jack's wheels were locked in a seem between floortiles, it pulled the car towards it, and the opposite stand flipped over (the car still had it's wheel on, so nothing bad happened)

Jack stands are good. I'd also suggest adding blocks of wood incase it tries to fall on you.

Why do you need a jack for a midget? can't you just lift that up with one hand and work on it with the other? :p

you need wheels on your jack! a jack doesn't lift straight up, but in curve, the higher you lift, the closer the jack needs to come to the car...

i've had a car fall of stands because the jack's wheels were locked in a seem between floortiles, it pulled the car towards it, and the opposite stand flipped over (the car still had it's wheel on, so nothing bad happened)

You make a good point. This brings us to my previous question - are there any good mechanical jacks on the market? They lift the car straight up.