Looking for a new phone

LeVeL

Forum Addict
This coming June I'd like to get a new smartphone but I'm having a tough time finding the right one. Right now I have an HTC Droid DNA: 5.0" 1080x1920px screen, 8mp rear camera and 2.1mp front camera, Snapdragon S4 Quad core 1500 MHz, 2GB RAM, and a decent battery. I'd like something that's at least equal in spec, although higher spec is obviously better. The big issue is that I want a phone that's slightly smaller - 5" is huge and I don't like having to stretch that far :mwf: Oh, and I'm only interested in Android phones available for Verizon. The Galaxy S4 gets close to my needs (same size screen -at least the screen is not bigger and the phone is slightly smaller overall, compared to my DNA) but I don't think I'll be able to find one, not that the S5 has been out and the S6 on the way.

Thoughts?

So when I made my brief venture into Android phones, I found that all the companies made a mini version of their phones, but made them half as powerful as the flagships to get people to buy the more expensive one. Just had a quick look and it seems like if you go down in screen size you're bound to loose on some of the specs from what you currently have. These are the 2 I knew off of the top of my head that are decent and smaller.

LG G2 mini - 4.7" 540x960px, 8MP rear 1.3MP front, Snapdragon 400 quad core 1200 MHz, 1GB RAM, 8GB memory w/ microSD
Motorola DROID Mini - 4.3" 720x1280px, 10MP rear 2MP front, Snapdragon S4 Pro dual core 1700MZh, 2GB RAM, 16GB non expandable memory

Use their search tool to filter out other large phones. LG has usually been good at releasing mini versions every year, and the G2 Mini came out a year ago, so maybe theres a G3 Mini coming. Looking back at my experience with Android, I think I'd still be with it if I went with the LG instead of the HTC that I ended up hating.

Just had a quick look and it seems like if you go down in screen size you're bound to loose on some of the specs from what you currently have.
Yup, that's the issue! I'll check out the ones you posted, thanks.

Looking back at my experience with Android, I think I'd still be with it if I went with the LG instead of the HTC that I ended up hating.
I had an HTC Incredible 2 and loved it. The current DNA was good at first but I've had a lot of issues with it so I'd rather not do HTC next time.

the smaller sony z3 compact is only cut down on screen size and resolution, otherwise its pretty much the same as the big one. no idea about carrier and all that stuff ofc...

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

So when I made my brief venture into Android phones, I found that all the companies made a mini version of their phones, but made them half as powerful as the flagships to get people to buy the more expensive one. Just had a quick look and it seems like if you go down in screen size you're bound to loose on some of the specs from what you currently have. These are the 2 I knew off of the top of my head that are decent and smaller.

LG G2 mini - 4.7" 540x960px, 8MP rear 1.3MP front, Snapdragon 400 quad core 1200 MHz, 1GB RAM, 8GB memory w/ microSD
Motorola DROID Mini - 4.3" 720x1280px, 10MP rear 2MP front, Snapdragon S4 Pro dual core 1700MZh, 2GB RAM, 16GB non expandable memory

Use their search tool to filter out other large phones. LG has usually been good at releasing mini versions every year, and the G2 Mini came out a year ago, so maybe theres a G3 Mini coming. Looking back at my experience with Android, I think I'd still be with it if I went with the LG instead of the HTC that I ended up hating.

The sd card is useless in the G2 mini. Android 4.4.2 can barely even put pics on the card.

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

the smaller sony z3 compact is only cut down on screen size and resolution, otherwise its pretty much the same as the big one. no idea about carrier and all that stuff ofc...

+1 for the Z3 compact.

Vs its full size brother, it only differs in screen size (4.5 Vs 5.2 IIRC), resolution (720p vs 1080p), and RAM (1/2 that of the big one).

The sd card is useless in the G2 mini. Android 4.4.2 can barely even put pics on the card.

On my G3 the pictures go to the SD card, and all the Google Play music. Just for that it's worth it.

Last edited:
Really, in that screen size, Z3 compact is the only option. Everything else is gimped in specs, but Z3 compact has the same chipset and camera as the big Z3.

The Z3 compact is GSM only and isn't available on Verizon though. Due to Verizon's legacy CDMA network, (and notoriously locked down network) bringing in non Verizon branded devices is near impossible.

Ordering this week hopefully. As mentioned earlier, all the smaller phones have far worse specs than the larger ones (and the Z3 compact isn't available through Verizon, as Rick said).

It's between the Galaxy S5, LG G2, Xperia Z3v, and Moto X (2nd gen). The Sony kills it with the best camera, most RAM, and best battery, but it's also the largest, heaviest, and most expensive ($50 compared to 1c-$1).

Out of the ones you listed, I'd go Moto X.

While on paper the Sony is better...a Sony phone...on Verizon....yeah that'll never get updated. Like ever.

Edit: I'm shocked but the Z3v will get upgraded to Lollipop. Nice.

Last edited:
The day Galaxy S5 and Moto X are $50. Sony is $0.99 And the Sony is 32GB, unlike the others at 16GB.

Yeah, my Sony should get here tomorrow.

eta:
The state of Massachusetts has specific tax regulations regarding the sales of cellular phones and other devices like tablets or mobile hot spots that use wireless service. These devices are often subsidized (sold at a discount) with a requirement that the customer enters a contract with a wireless service provider. Massachusetts requires that devices sold at a discount with a wireless service contract are taxed at the wholesale cost of the device to retailers.

The regulations described above for wireless devices sold at a discount with a contract are not applicable to the sale of devices that are end-of-life or obsolete.
Thanks, assholes. 99 cent phone - $30.56 tax. Makes sense!

Last edited: