Looking for light, multi-spoke wheels for my MX-5

Cactus

Car(s)
Mazda MX-5
Hi,

I've been away from the forum for a couple of months, but hopefully I'm back now :)

I'd like to buy a set of nice 16" multi-spoke wheels (you know, the classical British GT style) for my MX-5 next spring, and I'm looking for expert advice.

I really love the OZ Superturismo GT for its clean design, it's just the look I'm going for. However, at 16", the Superturismo is a good 20% heavier than the stock MX-5 wheels I have on (see this page, it's the "'01-'03 5-spoke alloy"). Increased unsprung weight is not good, as we all know. The next obvious choice would be the OZ Superleggera with only 14.3 lbs, however, I don't like its design, neither at the rim nor at the hub. (BTW, an additional problem I'm facing is that it's very hard to find wheel weight data on the Internet.)

So I'd like to hear what nice multi-spoke wheels you guys recommend. It should be available in 16" size with four bolts, and it should be at most as heavy as the Mazda one (15.5 lbs).

I think you should just go with the OZ rims. The difference will be minimal. A thing that would have a bigger effect than weight of the rims on the cars handling is a change in size of the rims.

You want light huh? Too easy... Kosei K1... the choice among most of the autocrossing community!

kos_k1_race_sil_ci3_l.jpg

Here is a link to the spec sheet on TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Cal...lIndex=50&sizeIndex=0&showRear=no&setIndex=10

Check out Compomotive http://www.comp.co.uk/

They make nice, good looking wheels for rally and racing. They should do the job.

ssnapier said:
You want light huh? Too easy... Kosei K1... the choice among most of the autocrossing community!

That's totally not the look I'm going for...

To make things clear, it's not about total focus on performance. It's just that I want nice rims that are at least not worse than the current ones.

Finally a site where there's weight info for all the wheels! Thanks a lot!

no sweat... tirerack is an AWESOME site... you can even virtually fit the wheel to your car so you know what they will look like, and that is a very nice tool!

I like the OZ Ultrlaeggeras too... light and very cool looking!

One side note... if weight is your concern, you need to take into account the weight of the tires too! I had a set of BBS RF's that weighed in at 31 pounds each with tires and air, if you can get under that you are doing VERY well!

ssnapier said:
I like the OZ Ultrlaeggeras too... light and very cool looking!

I've never heard about the Ultraleggera before, looks like a new model for 2006. But now that I checked it, it's got the looks and it's light... it may be a winner! And by springtime, it'll be available for sure.

^Ah, ok :oops:
Hadn't heard of them. As far as i can see, they just look like an even lighter version of the superleggera's. I would still go for the superturismo's. I think they fit the MX-5 perfect.