Looking for TV Shows in Finnish suitable for a beginner

Sevs753

Car(s)
'13 Subaru BRZ, '04 GMC Yukon
My friend is trying to learn Finnish and he is looking for some TV shows to help him learn/practice. It doesn't matter if they are kids shows or foreign shows that are dubbed, as long as the language used is simple and suitable for a beginner. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Moomin can be found on Youtube. This upload has the first 20 episodes all in one.
(I'm guessing it won't be long until this gets taken down.)

If this one disappears you can always search for "Muumilaakson tarinoita" and you'll probably find the latest unofficial upload.

Thankfully only the kids' shows get dubbed here. Foreign shows have Finnish subtitles.

These streaming websites include many American and UK series and movies. Subtitled in Finnish. But there's also a ton of Finnish content. The news would be a good place to start, I guess?

Most of the content on these is only available in Finland. *

The Finnish national TV network have a very good streaming site.
MTV3 (nothing to do with 'that' MTV) have their own streaming website.
So do Nelonen and even FOX.

* I'm guessing you could fool their system the same way we Europeans access the American Netflix content. Try searching for a VPN service that allows you appear as if you were in Finland.

Last edited:
look around for a series "great grand prix racing heroes"
it's narrated by stirling moss, but most of the rips i found, have finish subtitles!
(at least, i think they're finish...)

Yeah, from my experience, the news is a good place to start. They also have podcasts to download.

With most shows, you're going to get a lot of spoken, informal language, which is fine if that's what he wants to learn, but there is a difference between the more formal written language and every day spoken language.
Is he also taking a course, or has a tutor? Because an understanding of the grammatical case structures is rather necessary to figure out what the hell is going on.

Sadly, after 2.5 years, my Finnish teacher is moving back to Finland next month, and I don't think the college has found a replacement, so that's going to slow things up for me, but I did just get a delivery of new textbooks - with exercises to complete! (Is it sad I'm excited about that?)

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far, he has been watching the news a lot but he's also been trying to read the news. I haven't heard if he started watching the cartoon.

I believe he is trying to teach himself. He's been having trouble finding a steady job since graduating college as a performance music major so can't afford a tutor at the moment.