Looking to get my own set of wheels

Jacobfox

Car(s)
VW GTI 4-Door (MKVI)
So as you guys know, I've been living in Chicago recently. I'd really never had the pleasure of driving around in the city, and so I kinda got used to the harangue of having to take the CTA everywhere. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it just makes it a bit more of a hassle to go anywhere. This sorta changed when I borrowed my cousin's car this last weekend. It was such a great thing to be able to go where I wanted when I wanted. While bored at work today, I started browsing the classifieds on cars.com and realized that I could probably pick up a nice set of wheels in a few months. I have some cash socked away from a summer job a year back which I tried not to touch, and I just got my hours increased by my boss. I'll probably take out a loan to cover the balance here. I'm looking for something that's got four or all-wheel drive, a little bit of power and perhaps catastrophic first-owner depreciation. I've been taking a peek at a couple of late 90s/early 2000s Audi A4s, as well as some swedish and japanese cars. I don't want to spend anything more than $7000, as that's really all I could reasonably afford by the end of the year. Suggestions?

suggestion?

seeing as you are from a wealthy family, speak to your parents nicely, tell them that you have about $7000 and that you want a car, I'm sure they are willing to cover for the rest. That way, you can get yourself a nice EVO 9 or an STI

And yes, I'm dead serious about the suggestion.

^ Well I think the point is that he wants to pay for the car himself. Are you planning on just keeping the car in Chicago while you're in California?

I'm gonna drive it back and forth. And believe me, MadCow, I asked when I got my license and they laughed at me. If I want my own set of wheels, I'm paying out of pocket for it.

I wouldn't recommend taking out a loan for more than half, but its a good way to get a first car and establish credit. You'll need a cosigner.

My suggestion, get something fun and reliable. Awd and fast usually doesn't age reliably to be honest.

1997-2002 Camaro Z/28 or Pontiac Trans Am
1996-2001 Mustang Cobra
Any year MR2

The whole point of the AWD is the snow of chicago. Hyde Park in particular tends to get really icy and since Daley cut funds for plows, it's only gonna get worse. I'm gonna try to get loans for as little as possible, even if it means I have to take loans from my parents. The subaru option certainly crossed my mind, and they're readily available in CA. It's just that a legacy feels a bit too big as a wagon. I'm not totally against the concept of wagons, but the size thing is kind of an issue where there's limited street parking.

I'm gonna drive it back and forth. And believe me, MadCow, I asked when I got my license and they laughed at me. If I want my own set of wheels, I'm paying out of pocket for it.

In that case.

Subaru 2.5RS

you can't go wrong with it really.... 2.5litre flat 4 engine with Subaru's symmetrical AWD system. Interior is on part with the WRX/STi trim, lovely hugging bucket seats, a great leather steering wheel with thumb rest and a positive feedback.

The only downside is that it's an N/A engine, but bear in mind that this is one of their stronger N/A engine variants (apart from the 3litre models), it will happily cruise at 220kph (I've done it plenty of times on the highway), and I've raced a few 2006~2008 2.0 N/A models, the 2.5RS is slightly faster at any given gear and any speed.
It's such a shame that they dropped the 2.5 model and went with the 2.0R N/A engine on the lower spec car, and with all the new electronic equipment they added to the new Impreza, it kind of makes the new non turbo Impreza very dull to drive.

Think about it. That was the first car I ever paid for, and I still think I made the right decision of buying it.

Last edited:
What about a non-turbo impreza?
:nod: Where's Jayhawk? Or is his a turbo? In either case, a basic Subaru, imho, is a fantastic winter car. They're supposed to be very reliable even with the AWD. The gas mileage suffers accordingly, but whatever. I'll be car shopping in a few months and an Impreza/WRX is on my short list of cars to look for. So maybe I'm biased.

^

N/A model is a great car as well, plus you don't have to worry about replacing the snails when they pop.

As for the fuel consumption, shame.. live with it, AWD is heavy on juice but it's worth it.

just get an AWD Audi A4 and be done with it. it's less boring than the Volvo option, and I don't know much about Subaru's to comment on them. Hardly anyone here drives them (except the rally freaks who go all out and order everything to make it look like a blue 555 rallycar with gold rims)

^

nothing wrong with that. Blue Scooby with gold rims is teh sex.

Those 2.0T AWD A4 isn't so bad either, but I'm sure it will be more than $7000 dollars, even for an old model.

Just buy the cheapest piece of shit you can find. You won't regret it.

Wot no F355?

Seriously, buy something fun that you will want to drive everyday but don't mind a couple of scratches on it.

1997-2002 Camaro Z/28 or Pontiac Trans Am
1996-2001 Mustang Cobra
Any year MR2

i disagree. i had friends with all of those cars back in chicago (i lived there for 18 years). they almost all got in wrecks when the snow started to fall.

just get something cheap. or if you want something with style and tunability, get a scooby like people have suggested. or even a 2nd gen eclipse with AWD. there's tons of those in chicago.

The whole point of the AWD is the snow of chicago. Hyde Park in particular tends to get really icy and since Daley cut funds for plows, it's only gonna get worse.

I just took my AWD out in about 1/2 an inch of snow on the ground.... I'm all :D:mrgreen::D:mrgreen::D:mrgreen:. Tractional control off, of course ;).

I would say go for the A4. OR, take out a small loan equal to or less than the amount of cash that you have on hand, and get a WRX or high mileage VW R32.