Looks like the GT-R isn't so great after all...

Now you can beat me with a stick but I never heard something like that happening to the owner of a 911 turbo...
In all fairness ... if you punish your brand-new 911turbo with a lot of full-bore starts and then go and claim (similar) damage on warranty ... they are going to decline it after their mecanics have had a look as well. I don?t think any Car-company would pay it out of their pockets when it?s rather obvious that you wrecked the Car yourself because you didn?t know one bit about the do?s and dont?s about sportcars ...

Yup - and it's not like Ferrari won't do the same thing with the similar gearbox in the 599/612 as well as their other products.

Launch it in the "secret launch mode" disclosed by Clarkson in his Ferrari review ("hold on to your spleen, everybody"), or even with regular launch control a few times and you'll either smoke the clutch or blow the gearbox and Ferrari will NOT replace either one under warranty. I know this because one of my clients' CEO bought a 599, thought it'd be fun to emulate Clarkson and ran it around town for about a week with regular launches under launch control. The gearbox failed, and he got stuck with a $30K bill to replace it.

If you hadn't heard about a Tiptronic in a Porsche 911 Turbo failing like that, you haven't been paying attention. :p

In all fairness ... if you punish your brand-new 911turbo with a lot of full-bore starts and then go and claim (similar) damage on warranty ... they are going to decline it after their mecanics have had a look as well. I don?t think any Car-company would pay it out of their pockets when it?s rather obvious that you wrecked the Car yourself because you didn?t know one bit about the do?s and dont?s about sportcars ...

Exactly - I don't think Nissan have done anything that any other manufacturer wouldn't do in the same situation - and justifiably so too.

That?s some scary ass shit ... I wouldn?t want that in my car ... not now nor in the future ...

If you have a car made in the last decade, chances are pretty good that you already do.

As far as I know, no manifacturer will replace a clutch, or brakes, or brake pads, or rubber when you wear them out. It's harder to wear out a transmission, but I guess that too depends heavily on usage conditions, therefore a manufacturer would be unwilling to fix it.

As far as I know, the warranties only hold for manufacturing and shipping defects. It doesn't appear that this GT-R's tranny was different from any other GT-R tranny.

Sounds fair to me.

I think its funny that cars like these fail under hard launches yet junky american muscle cars seem to handle hard launches no problem...

now I'm not trying to start a war or anything but it just doesn't make sense to me.... what does it take to beef up a tranny and make sure it can handle high-horsepower abuse?

edit: there is definitely more to this story, if a car is being severely abused something is bound to break...

Last edited:
Hmmm, same goes with clutch warranty's if they see evidence that the clutch has been total destroried they wouldn't cover the costs of it... Its happened to me before :(.

I agree with some views that if the car has obvisously been thrash every day, maybe he has voided the warranty, but if its only just broken by using the LC... maybe they should consider beefing up the tranny, since the car has the ability to but that much strain on it, they should make it able to handle the power.

I know for a fact that ford has said with the new launch control system in the manual FG's... they dont recommend to hold ur foot flat to the floor while holding the revs at 3500rpm. Prob means if it breaks and u were doing this we won't cover you. Difference is ford clutch and tranny = maybe 5 grand max lol not 20k.

Yup - and it's not like Ferrari won't do the same thing with the similar gearbox in the 599/612 as well as their other products.

Launch it in the "secret launch mode" disclosed by Clarkson in his Ferrari review ("hold on to your spleen, everybody"), or even with regular launch control a few times and you'll either smoke the clutch or blow the gearbox and Ferrari will NOT replace either one under warranty. I know this because one of my clients' CEO bought a 599, thought it'd be fun to emulate Clarkson and ran it around town for about a week with regular launches under launch control. The gearbox failed, and he got stuck with a $30K bill to replace it.

If you hadn't heard about a Tiptronic in a Porsche 911 Turbo failing like that, you haven't been paying attention. :p

Found this in the thread:

A 997TT is a street Porsche and it can be turned off.

How would Ferrari know you turned it off?, they don't have the dreaded blackbox.
Also, the amount of money Ferrari have put into the F1 transmission must be in the 10's of millions of dollars, its a bulletproof gearbox that is proven in formula 1.
I did 36,000ks in my old F430 and it never missed a beat, i drove with the traction control off most of the time and the service costs were cheaper than the GT-R.
I sold it and got the Scuderia and the improvements are staggering.
No where does it say in the manual that the warranty is void if TC is turned off..

You guys should also check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CmLT05qZ8Q fast forward to 6:00. You have a NISSAN exec. showing off the launch control.

Last edited:
Judging by the guys other posts on that board and what others are saying, that car's been living a VERY, VERY hard life.

That car got straight up abuse, so no matter how strong the transmission is, constantly beating it will break something...

88GT, don't you think that if you did nothing but drag race a brand new GT500 everyday after work that the abuse put on the trans (after dumping the clutch at various RPMs to figure out the best launch speed) won't make something in there give way?

No car is built by the hand of God. The only thing that comes close is the LS series motors, and thats just because everyone says LS motors were hand crafted by God himself :D

Yup, but you're not supposed to use LC each and every day. Every car I've seen that has LC has an admonishment in the manual that it is not for regular use andis generally ony for use on tracks and not on the road.

The F1/F1A transmission isn't bulletproof at all (didn't JC say that they broke one while testing the 599 GTB?) from what I've heard around Dallas.

Also, whoever posted that had no idea what he was talking about as Ferraris DO have black boxes - all OBDII cars do! The only question is how long it holds the info and what extra parameters it records.

I think its funny that cars like these fail under hard launches yet junky american muscle cars seem to handle hard launches no problem...

now I'm not trying to start a war or anything but it just doesn't make sense to me

Um, the guys drag racing Mustang Cobras, if they hook up, can and have broken the super-strong T-56 transmission; they have to upgrade to the Viper's T-56 internals, and sometimes beyond. And that's the catch- hooking up. Most of those muscle cars just spin their wheels while moving off instead of launching without wheelspin, which reduces the stress on the driveline. It's not uncommon for a manual-trans drag car to hook up and then shatter the transmission.

Last edited:
Based on his previous posts, the poster in question sounds like a showoff douche who beat his $80K car into dust and deserves his fate. The GT-R is not a drag machine, it's a very advanced performance/track car. Using it to drag is like using a scalpel to chop wood. Also, any idiot can tell that, no matter how well made a car is and not matter if it offers the option, locking the differential on a 4WD car and using launch control just isn't good for any car's longevity... including a 911 Turbo.

If you want a quarter miler, get something with a massive V8, pushrods, a truck tranny and a solid rear axle.

So the guy thrashes his car to death, then complains when he has to pay to have it fixed.

What a fucking deadbeat. Warranties aren't there to cover being a moron, and any sensible person knows that.

BAHAHAHA. Why am I not surprised by this? Oh because I saw it coming, especially after talking to a friends neighbor who trains dealerships to work on these cars and mentions that brake jobs are $7000 because the rotors and pads have to be replaced (and they are those fancy carbon/ceramic or whatever) and all wheels have to be done at the same time.

Hooray for owning a car where standard maintenance costs are 10% the cost of the vehicle and the car isn't designed to handle the power it already has.

Last edited:
Seems to me that the guy can afford to buy the car but can't afford to maintain the car.

BAHAHAHA. Why am I not surprised by this? Oh because I saw it coming, especially after talking to a friends neighbor who trains dealerships to work on these cars and mentions that brake jobs are $7000 because the rotors and pads have to be replaced (and they are those fancy carbon/ceramic or whatever) and all wheels have to be done at the same time.

Hooray for owning a car where standard maintenance costs are 10% the cost of the vehicle and the car isn't designed to handle the power it already has.

Might want to go look at what the ZR1's carbon ceramic brake jobs are going to be. They're going to be even worse.

Pretty much anything with carbon ceramic brakes from the factory is going to be stupidly expensive. The first Porsche owners to get those discovered that initially, the price of a brake job was $20,000!

Yeah, fancy ceramic-carbonfiber-unobtanium brakes are stupidly expensive, but aren't they outrageously long lasting also?

If you support guys like this, you support communism :mrgreen:

A driver can do a lot of things that can destroy any car. A car is not, and should not be as user-friendly
as an iPod. This guy used the car up to its limits, now he should pay for the damage HE did.

The car would not have had a malfunction if he didn't drive it the way he did.

Imagine if more douchebags like that sue car corporations. The only way a corporation can respond
is ADD MORE LIMITATIONS (and warning stickers) to the way people use their cars.

"I didn't know it would break down!"
Next thing, you'll have people who blame the car for running over a pedestrian "How could I have known that driving into a person would hurt the person, it's not in the manual".

"When the car crashed, the airbag exploded and frightened me, also causing irreparable damage to itself,
so I had to pay for a new one".

Taking responsibility for one's own actions seems to be something sorely lacking in this country as of late...
I TURND ON LC AND DID IT 50 TIMES AND CAR BROKE WTF NISSAN'S FAULT

Yes, just like I jumped off a bridge to try and kill myself and it's the bridge's fault I was suicidal.

Anyway, I don't, didn't and continue to not really like the GT-R. Still, regardless of how much faster or cheaper the GT-R is, I'll take a 911C2S. In black.