Los Angeles freeway network

Z Draci

The other thread about subway systems inspired me to post about this.
We don't have any form of extensive public transport, but we do have the most extensive freeway system in the world.

Los Angeles has one subway line . . . which is going to collapse in the event of an earthquake.
We rely on our trusty cars to take us through this freeway network:
(My school in Riverside is almost 90 miles away from Santa Monica. I went to grade school in the Charter Oak School District.)

http://img223.imageshack.**/img223/4319/lamap7mn.jpg

Neat, I was with some relatives who lived in Aliso Viejo, there were many roads to choose to get to certain areas, we took different ones everytime. I enjoyed the one that went through the military training land the best.

sorry but i think this thread is useless.. the subway thread is posted because the pattern looked neat... this one is.. normal like any other city i guess :)

No, not really. I remember as a child it was quite warm year-round but now it seems that they actually have seasons, sort of. I doubt it's global warming though... maybe I just have happier memories from my childhood in California.

I used to spend a lot of time in the bottom left corner... between RPV and Redondo Beach. Good ol' memories...

The kicker is the traffic though... the distances are far and the highway system is complex, but oh man the traffic is just the triple whammy. It takes a good 2 hours to get from Torrance to Newport Beach.

You guys aren't kidding about traffic here..this is my bit so far :p

Well...I've taken the CA14 from up here in the Lancaster/Palmdale area at about 7am, heavy traffic through the mountains and Santa Clarita. Hit the 5 all the way through L.A. all the way past Miision Viejo to Camp Pendleton, then back home to Edwards AFB twice...all on Sundays. Hit a jam just north of the Bell Gardens area both times :wall:

Then I took the 5->405S on a Sunday in August...2 hour jam coming back north, and that took a toll on my clutch. The jam was near the 405N->5N interchange and the cops had 3 lanes blocked off for some dirt spilled on the road. I was just before the interchange so it was just slighty uphill, rough on my legs and the car :( had a little old red truck blow a radiator hose in front of me too, poor guy :lol: . Then just last Tuesday night at about 7pm and hit a 3 hour jam, thank god I took the Cadillac then ;). Then I've gone 5->10 to Alhambra..high speed pursuit passed me by(nice!) and a jam shortly after.

And last but not least...5->210->605->30->210 to Rancho Cucamonga to some mall. And during the NASCAR season I took a trip to Fontana ala CA58 to the 15 at Barstow..then down the 66 to Fontana to see the race(got free tickets!):D

So even though I have been in state for just 9 months...I already hate L.A. :lol: . But I gotta go back down in March to pick up my friend again from Camp Pendleton... :mrgreen:
My school in Riverside is almost 90 miles away from Santa Monica
You commute that far for school!? Or did you used to live in Santa Monica area?
Is it ALWAYS sunny in CA?
Just to chime in..I'm in the Mojave Desert and it's raining...so it's not sunny all the time :lol:

Salar said:
Is it ALWAYS sunny in CA?

Except during the night. :lol:

Seriously though, I think we only get about 10 solid days of rain here in a year. During the "cold" seasons, we get overcast clouds in the morning but it burns off by midday. It's December and we got 20+ degree weather today.

The only difference between summer and winter is the frequency of rainy days and a 15 degree drop in temperature (to a "freezing" 25 degrees). Even in this "gloomy" season, it's sunny 90% of the time. We still have all the trees and flowers blooming. It's crazy . . .

logo said:
sorry but i think this thread is useless.. the subway thread is posted because the pattern looked neat... this one is.. normal like any other city i guess

Subway maps always look cool because they are not drawn to scale. I thought it might be interesting to post this freeway map . . . :cry:

Silverstar said:
You guys aren't kidding about traffic here..this is my bit so far

The traffic in LA isn't half as bad as in Tokyo. On a normal weekday afternoon, it took me a bit over three hours to drive from Rancho Palos Verdes to Riverside taking the 91. That averages to over 25mph. (That's about the same distance between London and Birmingham.) On a weekend, that same route can be covered in less than an hour! If you plan your departure time, these freeways are very user friendly.

so why are you still inside behind your pc? :unsure:

don't tell me you're outside now, with a wireless laptop or sth :x

if you are, you should be banned :x

for making us al jealous :lol:

its because we are all used to the nice weather..

i mean i live in a resort year round.. and i never notice, or go to the beaches

zenkidori said:
Plus you can't see very far with the smog.
Thank god I live up here in the valley..other then fighters flying over daily..no smog :D. When I went back from Alhambra..I couldn't see the L.A. skyline because of the smog :thumbsdown:

Last time I went to LA I was amazed at the highway system. You guys are freakin' nuts! 6, 7 lane highways, and they're ALWAYS jammed, 24/7, even at noon or night! But traffic still manages to move at 30-40 mph a lot of times, which really surprised me: a traffic jam anywhere else means that nobody moves, period. 12 billion lanes means you get to the traffic jam faster. Am I right, or what? :mrgreen:

Though the smog sure creates interesting sunsets.

Silverstar said:
zenkidori said:
Plus you can't see very far with the smog.
Thank god I live up here in the valley..other then fighters flying over daily..no smog :D. When I went back from Alhambra..I couldn't see the L.A. skyline because of the smog :thumbsdown:
whenever I go to LA I look stoned because the smog turns my eyes all red and crap. It's odd, here you can see the mountains for WAY far away, but a hill that's pretty close out there will look fuzzy.

zenkidori said:
whenever I go to LA I look stoned because the smog turns my eyes all red and crap...
You too!! Oh wait yours is because of the smog...never mind. :p

But really, the traffic is nuts. Chech out www.sigalert.com at almost any hour of the day and you will find nasty traffic somewhere on the freeway system. It seems there is only small window of opportunity for me to leave orange county to go anywhere without seeing a sea of red tail lights infront of me.

Re: Los Angeles freeway network

Z Draci said:
We don't have any form of extensive public transport, but we do have the most extensive freeway system in the world.
Extensive != good. :p

Anyway, our's is pretty simple. I-5 running N/S through down with I-205 running around the city to the East. Then I-84 starts downtown and heads East for a billion miles to the East coast. That's pretty much it.

Why would you leave Vancouver for LA?

For the same reason I left Iran(In MiddleEast) last year for Canada. LOL
Better life man, better job, everything.

My friend lives in San Jose right now, he already saved $17K from working in 2 years, and he's only 18.

Here's very expensive.