Lotigech Z-640 Problem!

Posmo

I'm a piano until proven otherwise
Car(s)
'86 Sierra iS, '70 Cortina, '90 Sierra, '04 RS182
Alright, I bought a Logitech z-640 5.1 surround system from a friend a couple of years ago. At first it worked fine, all 5 speakers gave off an even, clear sound. After using them a couple of months on the family computer they were tucked away in a closet, gathering dust, mainly because the rear speakers were not used that often, and the set would be the find a new home. Well.. They were never sold or used on other applications until I took them out today. I need the speakers for my "Media-center-pc", with front speakers upgraded to amazing JVC-MX - speakers.

That's the intro, now lets advance to the problem(s). At first when I plugged them in I got no light on the center speaker, nosound, no nothing. Well, after careful inspection, I was able to determine that the power cord-plug-thing seemed a bit loose. I opened the whole thing up and found that one of the mains power cords was just hanging off the connector. After 5 minutes with a soldering iron, I was done with that (why the hell am I still writing the intro...?). I got the bulk back for connecting, fired the computer up and launched one of those 5.1 test programs.

Everything seemed to work fine, until I was supposed to hear the left rear speaker. All I could hear was a very faint sound, and the subwoofer supporting it with some low pitch sound. This is the real problem then. I (think) I've tried everything, and after some research, I have been able to find out that the problem is most likely in the rca speaker cord wiring, but I dare not open it up all the way, in fear of breaking something, although I suspect that the problem is related to either the rca connector soldering, or the amplification.

So, the question is, have you ever heard of someone having a similar problem with logitech surround sound speakers ( no need to narrow it down to just the z-640, since a lot of their 5.1 setups use the same subwoofer/ amplification box)? Perhaps you even know of a quick fix?(long shot). but my main question, after typing this post for about 20 minutes, is simple: Do you know of a program with wich I could adjust the sound level of an individual speaker. The rear speakers are not used that much so I thought that perhaps I could make the left rear speaker louder with just some program, or perhaps through windows (XP). I'll be sending pics of my (SWEET) setup in the post your computer thread in a few days time.

Picture for clarification:
log_z640-lg.gif

[EDIT] Just realized that this thread might be in the wrong section, at first I was going to put it in the "questions and answers" -thread, but since I thought that was car related, I put it in here. Only now I noticed that there is a section specifically meant for technology related things.. Oh well, admins, feel free to move the thread if you think it needs moving.
[EDIT2] After abit of googling and additional fiddling, I tried using the volume controls in the control panel, but I can only view the controls for "left" and "right", If someone can tell me how I can get the to see volume sliders for each individual speaker, my problem will be solved..

Thanks in advance--

Last edited: