Lotus Elise Photoshoot

Shadowness

Car(s)
Caged Clio 182 Track Car
This is the first time ive dont anything like this, but its something ive always wanted to try. So a guy from work let me play around with his lovely car :thumbsup:

Ill post a link instead of showing loads and loads of pictures.
http://www.pbase.com/danfreeman/lotus_photoshoot

All comment and criticism welcome! As I say this is the first time ive done this, so let me know!
Thanks

Hmm, nice photos. :thumbsup: Although here's one thing that stood out to me: A lot of the photos are very detail-oriented, eg. lights, mirrors, vents, instruments, engine, etc... While that style is nice, I'd personally like to see more pictures that show the overall lines of the car. Easy to say, hard to do. I think you did a good job, even though the grey/dark silver colour isn't particularly photogenic.

great pictures, the detail shot are really good! :)
'd agree to flamingice, though that you should also do more pictures of the whole car. and for doing that, you should look for some nice background to park it.

I think the detail-orientated shots are unique. But a good mix of the two would be much more wanted. Nice shots nonetheless.

I love the detail shots, you don't really know what car it is if you're not familiar with cars!

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeh I agree I could have done with more shots of the overall car, showing the lines etc, but the location we chose really wouldnt have made for a good background. This was the best place we could go for a little play after work!
Thanks for the comments and I hope you enjoyed them!
More to come soon I hope! :D

Lotus Elise: One of my personal favourite cars, ever.

One of my best mates has a Lotus Elise (X-reg). I've taken some similar photos (I love the detail shots too and they're similar to the ones I have) though his is a lighter grey colour which isn't too photogenic at all. Plus the background I have for my shots isn't great. And neither was my camera... Aim to go back and take some more shots when I get a new camera though unfortunately he recently hit a wall while reversing slowly (he's not a bad driver, it was a low wall...) and it's moved the whole rear section a little too the left... :( (bear in mind it's one complete section). Apart from that the car is pristine, but that kinda ruins it...
Anyway, very nice photos. I can understand why the others wanted wider shots of the car too, though I know the car well enough that I could recognize it easily from the photos...

In static shots of the car, there are lots of distractions in the background, especially trees and fences. Although they can be used to add a stylistic element to the shot, trees in the background, for example, included in the composition make it look as it they're growing out of the car itself. That's usually a no no in automotive shoots. Also, what kind of lens did you use? You may want to use a longer focal length with a shallower depth of field of blur out background elements as much as possible. Finally, you may want to position the camera lower when vehicle profile shots. You'll notice distinct shadows under the car (the later in the day, the better for car shoots). By lowering the position of the camera - I literally laid face down on the ground at times - you can actually completely eliminate shadows under the car and provide a different perspective than the common eye level or waist level shots that most people take. My 2 cents.

Purgetv, do you mind if i ask you to write a short guide to automotive photography. I try taking pictures of my subaru sti that can give the "WOW" factor but so far, no dice. I agree with you on lowering the body to the ground, i've often gone about as low as 1foot off the ground.

What are some typical poses a car can give? What you've said already about trees growing out of the car is very true though i never realize it. Thanks so far.

Nice shots, though that last one was a little bit too overkill. It's a cool shot but making it a negative makes it's :yucky: But great pics, I just can't wait my EOS30D so that I can take similar photos :lol:

Re: Lotus Elise Photoshoot

Shadowness said:
This is the first time ive dont anything like this, but its something ive always wanted to try. So a guy from work let me play around with his lovely car :thumbsup:

Ill post a link instead of showing loads and loads of pictures.
http://www.pbase.com/danfreeman/lotus_photoshoot

All comment and criticism welcome! As I say this is the first time ive done this, so let me know!
Thanks

I really like the angles of the pics. Very nice!! :thumbsup: