Unveiled: Lotus Exos

They are racing tires.

^ True that, this eats soft for breakfast :lol:

Big whoop ... a million dollar car from a team with how many 2010 F1 points? :lol:

Still guess you can't accuse them from trying to profiteer from their success.

Last edited:
Is now the point to mention that i'm pretty sure the only V8 that Cosworth have in production is the DFV? They supply the heritage market at the moment, but there's no reason they can't send them out the door pre-assembled.

Is now the point to mention that i'm pretty sure the only V8 that Cosworth have in production is the DFV? They supply the heritage market at the moment, but there's no reason they can't send them out the door pre-assembled.

They do claim 630 bhp for the engine in this car, and the most powerful 3-liter DFV derivative topped out in its day about 100bhp short of that figure.

They do claim 630 bhp for the engine in this car, and the most powerful 3-liter DFV derivative topped out in its day about 100bhp short of that figure.

Possibly getting my DFs confused, "By the time of its demise, continued improvement had pushed the DFR power output to nearly 630 bhp"

DFZ and DFR had their displacement pumped up by another 500cc, but inherently they were (sort of) DFV derivatives. I don't know if nowadays Cosworth keeps building examples for historic F1 cars or if the engines are maintained by independent tuners.

Last edited:
I don't know if nowadays Cosworth keeps building examples for historic F1 cars or if the engines are maintained by independent tuners.

They certainly sell new parts (take a look at their piston catalogue), perhaps lotus have persuaded them for a little more....

Big whoop ... a million dollar car from a team with how many 2010 F1 points? :lol:

Different entity, but same owning company. They are connected to Lotus through Proton who owns both entities.

No Veyron vs Americanshelbything vs that yet? I am very disappointed.

This being said.........I imagine this thing on trackdays in the middle of souped up Ford Focus, Peugeot and Porsches :D

I watched a special on a P2 team at Le Mans. Yes price did matter for them. Most racing teams have shoe string budgets.

This isn't for people who want to race, this is for people who want a trackday toy. We are talking about the ?ber rich here.

Why, when you can buy an IndyCar in 2012 for 385,000 and go just as fast (maybe faster)?

Because everyone will be able to do this, while only twenty-five people will be able to boost their ego with owning this thing. It's not for race teams on a small budget, it's not even a track day toy, it's for billionaires who want to play F1 driver.

Last edited:
Because everyone will be able to do this, while only twenty-five people will be able to boost their ego with owning this thing. It's not for race teams on a small budget, it's not even a track day toy, it's for billionaires who want to play F1 driver.

What's more egocentric than being on national TV? Even international if you do the 500.

Meh. It's like the FXX program. No one's heard of it, no one cares about it (except that the cars are cool) and it's populated by mostly completely untalented people save for the professionals they bring in every now and then. Not really impressive to me. Though the car is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Oh pshaw.

Seems to me this is decent way for a small F1 team to make some money to bolster the budget a bit. Not sure how much it will cost Lotus/Proton to build and maintain these, but they stand to make a couple hundred grand or more per car. Times that by 25 and you have a few more million to run your team with. Call me crazy, but that how I see it and the main reason I see for this car existing.

It might be a smart way for Lotus to bypass the rules on development and testing throughout the season.

No Veyron vs Americanshelbything vs that yet? I am very disappointed.

This being said.........I imagine this thing on trackdays in the middle of souped up Ford Focus, Peugeot and Porsches :D

I imagine you'd either just hire the whole damn track for yourself or, if you're insanely rich, you have a private racetrack.