Lovely bus concept that WILL go horribly wrong

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
hugebus02082010-1280706868.jpg

Bus that travels over traffic longs for US embrace, designer seeks stateside collaborators
Can't imagine this one's left your collective conscience, but just in case: back in August, Shenzen Huashi Future Car-Parking Equipment unveiled its design for a commuter monorail that used the space between traffic and bridges. In a sense, the bus would straddle over its four-wheeled brethren at a rate of 25 to 50mph. Construction reportedly starts in Beijing's Mentougou district by year's end, but what of the rest of the world? Designer Song Youzhou has founded US Elevated High-Speed Bus (Group) Inc which, as the name would suggest, is on the look-out for manufacturers to build (and outlets to sell) the so-called straddling bus to the proper American locales. Sure, we're the Land of the Free and Home of the Extra-Tall Trucks (and Low Overhead Bridges), but don't let that get you discouraged.
This sounds like a good idea on paper but I can't help but feel that it will go horribly wrong if it would ever go into production. People crashing into the bus from the inside, trucks being stuck behind it.

I've read about it before. It seems to be more of a train rather than a bus. And while the inventor must have been really proud of himself when he came up with it, I really can't see the advantage of building-in an overpass into each vehicle over building an overpass and running conventional trains on it. The convetional method will surely be cheaper in the long run and a lot safer too.

I can't help feel this is a repost.

Where I live, a jacked-up pickup would ram the underbelly and cut off some old lady's legs.

I can't help feel this is a repost.

Yes and no, the concept is not new but they are now trying to bring it to the US.
I really can't see the advantage of building-in an overpass into each vehicle over building an overpass and running conventional trains on it. The convetional method will surely be cheaper in the long run and a lot safer too.
Pretty much really

This has to be some kind of joke right? They do realize that trucks haul around oversized loads pretty regularly, right?

I mean, I guess treating the roads this thing would travel over like a tunnel could work. which would mean no oversized loads allowed on them. but then all it would take is some moron to decide to ignore the rules one day and cause a huge accident. And I dont think I even need to say how much worse a truck crashing into a massive bus-train thing full of people would be than a truck just crashing into the roof of a tunnel.

I've read about it before. It seems to be more of a train rather than a bus. And while the inventor must have been really proud of himself when he came up with it, I really can't see the advantage of building-in an overpass into each vehicle over building an overpass and running conventional trains on it. The convetional method will surely be cheaper in the long run and a lot safer too.

No doubt. Here's a real simple solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_Monorail_System

Only been operational for 51 years already ;)

Something tells me that this is a brilliant solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

That should instead be a train, that drives over other trains.

I came in here expecting a new bus concept from VW. Oh well. :p