Low Audio levels on Top Gear downloads.

Dungogvolts

Car(s)
2011 Mitsubishi SX Lancer
I was advised to post this here.

Not to sure where this post goes but here goes?. The audio level on downloads is very low, much lower than anything else even from other sources like Kickass torrents & EZTV. Is it just me or does anybody else have this problem. It's great having fantastic video in full HD so would be nice to have a good audio level as well.

I do know FinalGear does not provide the downloads only a link to them but where else can I post other than here? Does anyone have a contact for the people that make the torrents? :(

I noticed this too, I guess it has to do with the source, if not with the encoding, they could change it, but doubt they will, scene rules and whatnot. It's not really a problem though, just crank it up!

If you're using ffdshow go to your audio decoder config and check volume and normalize.
You can also use the master volume to increase or decrease volume. This acts more like a boost in audio and can degrade the quality of sound when the volume gets high particularly during explosions.
http://img3.imageshack.**/img3/6751/37340732.jpg

If you're using Media Player Classic Home Cinema, press "o" to bring up options then go to Audio Switcher under Internal Filters and check normalize. I originally thought regain volume functions like replaygain, but it isn't. Personally I wouldn't recommend using regain volume and boost in conjunction, it destroys the audio quality imo.
http://img593.imageshack.**/img593/4202/93303648.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
I believe what normalize does in this case is bring up the loudness of the audio to the levels of what your current volume level is in the operating system.

Hopefully someone could explain a bit more as to what regain volume actually does.

If you're using VLC just scroll up with your mouse wheel for up to 400% volume.

FPG: Regain simply turns up the volume by the boost slider amount. Normalize should look for the loudest bit in the video and then adjust the boost to make that loudest bit as loud as possible without losing quality.

Last edited:
I was advised to post this here.

Not to sure where this post goes but here goes?. The audio level on downloads is very low, much lower than anything else even from other sources like Kickass torrents & EZTV. Is it just me or does anybody else have this problem. It's great having fantastic video in full HD so would be nice to have a good audio level as well.

I do know FinalGear does not provide the downloads only a link to them but where else can I post other than here? Does anyone have a contact for the people that make the torrents? :(

Please let me explain how I watch the programme. What I do is copy the download to either a USB stick or my WD 750gb portable HDD then plug it into my WD TV Live box/decoder which is plugged into my full HD plasma TV using a HDMI cable for vision. I then have the audio plugged into my ONKYO 5.1 channel surround receiver to take advantage of the great audio mixes the BBC do and watch it in comfort in front of a 42 inch full high definition plasma Television instead of a 20 inch LCD hooked up to my computer. But I find I have to turn it up so much compared to when I just listen to the television or any other avi/mkv file I have on the USB of HDD.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys but what I was trying to do here was bring to the attention of the people who make the Top Gear torrents that the audio is low. Now I have never made a torrent myself so don?t know what?s involved but that said most other torrents from other sites all have a, lets say, normal volume level that does not required me to turn up my receiver or TV to almost full volume to hear the audio. As I said in my first post if someone has a contact for the people that make the torrents I would be more than happy to send an email or if anyone else cares to and just explain that the audio is low. Now before I get jumped on I know I can turn up the volume on my receiver but when you forget to turn it down after the program finishes the next thing I play just about lifts the roof off. Hey I have nothing else in my life to do OK? And I am still going to watch Top Gear even if Clarkson is a dick..haha

Thanks for all the help guys but what I was trying to do here was bring to the attention of the people who make the Top Gear torrents that the audio is low. Now I have never made a torrent myself so don?t know what?s involved but that said most other torrents from other sites all have a, lets say, normal volume level that does not required me to turn up my receiver or TV to almost full volume to hear the audio. As I said in my first post if someone has a contact for the people that make the torrents I would be more than happy to send an email or if anyone else cares to and just explain that the audio is low.
The recordings are made by The Scene, and not by the FG staff. The most we do is point out when a new one has been released. We don't know the people who make the recordings, nor do they make themselves easy to contact, and even if you did contact them, they would probably respond that they're encoding it properly and the input is simply not as loud as other sources. They are very competitive, and if one group had released an episode with bad audio, it's almost certain that another would come along to fix it.

It is not the torrent that would need to be changed anyway, but rather the media file. You could do it yourself using VirtualDub or a similar program and recoding the audio but not the video, but you would degrade the quality, it takes a while, and your file would no longer work on the torrent. Turning the volume up is a better option.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing it on your computer and compared volume on it? I just tried it again to check since I didn't notice it, and I have zero volume problems on my PC when compared to other files and file formats.

Is your media player updated with the most current updates?

Even if you did contact them, they would probably definitely not respond.

FTFY.

Also, slightly lower audio is no valid reason for another release. There would have to be serious flaws, ie mono audio from a stereo source, bad synchronization with the video, ...

Have you tried playing it on your computer and compared volume on it? I just tried it again to check since I didn't notice it, and I have zero volume problems on my PC when compared to other files and file formats.

Is your media player updated with the most current updates?

Very interesting Joe?..The MKV file will not play audio using Media Player Classic?VLC Player plays ?normal? audio level and great video?Windows Media Player will not play the MKV file what so ever.

It?s just strange that it?s only Top Gear downloads that I have this audio problem on my WD Media Player I have played many many MKV files on it with no problem as I said it?s only Top Gear.

Oh well seems to be just me I will of course put up with it just thought if other people were having the same prob and it might be a quick fix I would put it out there.