Low rolling resistance tires: worth it?

Winter tires have been on the car for 2 years now, since I just don't need summer tires. I do very short distances of very normal, boring driving on undemangind roads. And real summer kicks in for half a month a year perhaps, otherwise it's just rain, snow or miserable. Plus, I don't have full ownership of the car, shared with the parents so they have the last word in matters involving the car....

I've driven cars fitted with michelin energy or conti eco contact. For everyday use they're perfect you may even exceed 50,000 km depending on driving style and they use less fuel. They cost more but they're worth it especially the michelins.

All seasons tyres only handle worse and wear earlier than normal summer tyres.

Many people here say if you will trade economy for grip. In a test I saw in some magazine the michelins beat some performance tyres in the handling test (it came 3rd out of 10) in the wet it was twoards the lower half. Still if you do go around every corner with the tyres squealing than go for some high grip perfomance tyres. But for everyday use, even some enthusiastic driving thrown in the tyres I tried were 100% safe.

Last edited:
Meh, I run Vredestein Sportrac 3 (test winner ADAC, 16" 205) in the summer, which grip nicely but use up slightly more fuel, but I don't care. They excell at rainy roads (V-profile ftmfw) and never brought me any troubles.

In the winter, I run Fulda Kristall Montero 3 (again, test winner ADAC), which use slightly less fuel (also, 14" 185) and work like a charm in the snow.

Dude you drive a 1.2l Punto... how much fuel could different tires possibly save you?

I've driven cars fitted with michelin energy or conti eco contact. For everyday use they're perfect you may even exceed 50,000 km depending on driving style and they use less fuel. They cost more but they're worth it especially the michelins.

All seasons tyres only handle worse and wear earlier than normal summer tyres.

Many people here say if you will trade economy for grip. In a test I saw in some magazine the michelins beat some performance tyres in the handling test (it came 3rd out of 10) in the wet it was twoards the lower half. Still if you do go around every corner with the tyres squealing than go for some high grip perfomance tyres. But for everyday use, even some enthusiastic driving thrown in the tyres I tried were 100% safe.

For how long have you driven them? I have driven 25000km on Michelin Energy Savers over the past 6 months. They are NOT worth it in ANY way. See my previous post in this thread.

Well they were fitted on our C4, and now it has about 30,000km. And can't say they are too worn. Still since is somewhat a family car most of the driving that car endured more straight line speed. But I did show it a few corners now and then, but ok I didn't wanted to go ape since the car is new.

My tyres are 205/55/r16 from '09.

Edit: I quess it all depends on the driving style, so maybe posting on a car fan site that energy saving tires are superior might seem stupid - it kind of is -, if you want it go give it some bootfull not the best choice.

Last edited:
Dude you drive a 1.2l Punto... how much fuel could different tires possibly save you?

If aimed at me, I don't get it =)