monkeymax

Car(s)
Toyota MR2 Mk1, Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC, Peugeot 309
Daymn....!!! I would love to hear what that sounds like! :drool:

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
I'm not so sure - for me the Miata / MX-5 isn't about grunt, it's about being a lightweight, rear-drive sports car with terrific balance. All that power is bound to upset that balance, and despite the fact the motor's alloy it's sure to weigh more than the I4.

No sir, I don't like it.

Edit: I'm impressed it fit though.

osabros

id just love to have one of those and stop at a traffic ligh next to some guy in his ferrari... and leave him miles behind as the light turns green...:)

the best thing about that is that he didnt add any ugly spoilers or body kits or any of that stuff...

monkeymax

Car(s)
Toyota MR2 Mk1, Toyota MR2 Mk1 SC, Peugeot 309
fbc said:
I'm not so sure - for me the Miata / MX-5 isn't about grunt, it's about being a lightweight, rear-drive sports car with terrific balance. All that power is bound to upset that balance, and despite the fact the motor's alloy it's sure to weigh more than the I4.

No sir, I don't like it.

Edit: I'm impressed it fit though.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one - I want to buy an MX-5 at some point in the near future specifically for the handling they have. My current Peugeot handles really nicely but I've been told the MX-5 is much better. And having had many rides in my mate's Lotus Elise, I've kind of gotten hooked on the advantages of fantastic handling over great acceleration/speed...

Definately the additional power from the V8 is going to destroy the balance the car had, and I'm not sure it will be able to handle the extra power going to the wheels at all without a lot of wheelspin and a serious loss of traction. :thumbsdown:

I wouldn't like to buy/own a car with this conversion, don't think it'll drive too well. But as I said earlier, I'm sure it sounds sweet (and not exactly sounds you'd expect to hear from an MX-5/Miata pulling up next to you at the lights)...

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
fbc & monkeymax - I dought the fools who built this thing were thinking of keeping it pure and true to what its meant to be - A lightweight sportscar. Gotta admit, with something that light with an engine that big, it would be hell fun round corners. It would be very tailhappy I think! :driving:

pdanev

Forum Addict
^ I dont know how well it is in corners now, but that huge engine sure puts a lot of weight on the front.

AutoMX

i'd want a v6 in there, the weight wouldnt be that much more and the power would be easy to make up for. it kinda gets boring here in america, people just shove LS1's and chevy v8s into everything. i'd rather have a japanese I6 or buick V6 3800SC...

bartboy9891

I'm not Moe
how the heck did they make that fit?? :woot: dont like it, it upsets the balance too much.

asthenia

If you're going to go sticking V8s in little cars, you've got to get a Radical SR8 motor. 300HP and it's the size of a thanksgiving turkey.

If you can't get one of those, there's occasionally a TVR Speed Six engine on eBay. I bet that'd fit.

The MX5 LS1 must be scary. Ever ride a bicycle with a friend sitting on the handlebars? :p

gtrietsc

Car(s)
'07 Ford F-150 FX4, '06 BMW M5
First time I have seen an LS1 conversion. They have been doing a Mustang 5.0L conversion for many years: http://www.monstermiata.com.

Not bad numbers either:

0 - 60 Acceleration 4.8 Sec.
70 - 0 Braking 135 Feet
Skidpad .92 G's
Slalom 72 MPH
1/4 Mile 12.8 Sec.

:thumbsup:

Leppy

asthenia said:
If you're going to go sticking V8s in little cars, you've got to get a Radical SR8 motor. 300HP and it's the size of a thanksgiving turkey.

If you can't get one of those, there's occasionally a TVR Speed Six engine on eBay. I bet that'd fit.

The MX5 LS1 must be scary. Ever ride a bicycle with a friend sitting on the handlebars? :p

Nah thats not the same. Why put a V8 thats so small in a car if you still have to drive it like a 4 cylinder to get power from it. Those engines rev to 10K+ in road spec and 12.5K+ in race spec.

Doing something like that isn't a step up at all. Regardless of the power increase that you get.

Roman

Resident Skydiver
Car(s)
Boring '02 Accent.
gtrietsc said:
First time I have seen an LS1 conversion. They have been doing a Mustang 5.0L conversion for many years: http://www.monstermiata.com.

Not bad numbers either:

0 - 60 Acceleration 4.8 Sec.
70 - 0 Braking 135 Feet
Skidpad .92 G's
Slalom 72 MPH
1/4 Mile 12.8 Sec.

:thumbsup:
Same here.

It's the new Cobra: Small import RWD car with a big V8. :thumbsup:

I :love: it.