LS1 V8 Miata conversion.

i love how he has a tape measure in that first pic just chillin heheheh

so what are his plans with the SC engine in front on the first pic? :mrgreen:

:shock: WHOA . I heard of PPL Droping SR20s in them. Even a RX 7 Motor but that is just wow....

pdanev said:
^ I dont know how well it is in corners now, but that huge engine sure puts a lot of weight on the front.
I don't know about that particular Miata, but I found a guy who put an LS6 into one (405hp/400lb-ft of torque :eek: ), and, according to him, the conversion only added ~215lbs to the car total, and the car still weighs less than the new Miata. 100lbs was added up front from the new engine and transmission, and 115lbs was added in the rear from the new rear drivetrain, so it still has a 50/50 weight distribution.

Not a bad trade-off for all that extra power, IMO.

IMO it's gonna understeer a lot rather than tail happy

good job on the conversion though. really neat

but prolly the chassis will bend in a few laps with all that power.
i don't see any extra welding or additional reo

Jeez! Engine fits perfectly! And there's more space in the front and the sides of the engine, too.

I was surprised to see Furgeson Fab post pictures of my car and be discussing "Their" development of an LS1 Conversion.

Just for the record here, even though Furgeson came over to "my" shop, and took pictures of "my" car, Furgeson has in NO way participated, our provided any parts or services for my LS2 V8 Miata project which is not a "Conversion Kit" it's a one-off, custom designed and fabbed project, done solely by me and my son-in-law's company Howard Performance.

Syd, NO under-steer, 427 Cobra SC is about 60-40 weight balance = over-steer, OEM Miata is about 50-50 weight balance = neutral, LS2 V8 Miata balanced drive-train weight distribution about 51-49 = minor over-steer, great handling.

See photo gallery at;

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/LS2V8Miata/?sc=1

Thanks for your interest!:cool:

Last edited:
Did you really need to bump a thread that has been dead for 2 1/2 years?

I'm a newby here, FYI that's how long it's taken to develop this car project.

Sorry to offend your forum sensibilities.

Don't mind PB, he gets ornery sometimes.

I don't know half the fun of the Miata is the amazing turn-in and nimbleness. I think shoving a big V8 so far up would just spoil the whole car.

I don't know half the fun of the Miata is the amazing turn-in and nimbleness. I think shoving a big V8 so far up would just spoil the whole car.

Ding!
Flamewar in a few seconds. Everybody puts their seats in the vertical position and brace for impact.

Well, like 'LS2 V8 Miata' noted, the relatively lightweight of the LS powerplant, coupled with the heavier-than-stock Cobra IRS maintained the Miata's excellent weight distribution. I think that with suitable suspension upgrades, along with the drastic drivetrain changes, the car would undoubtedly be more fun than a stock Miata.

Tigger's on target, I didn't have to speculate or experiment at all though.

I already have two local friends with Ford iron block (5.0 based) 400 HP V8 Miatas we used for test cases road racing / track days and street driving for years before I went GM LS motor and six-speed route (improvement in weight / balance, over Ford set-up).

I've been in those V8 Miatas passing Porsches, Ferraris and Vipers and can tell you the nimble, Miata handling & turn-in is still there, it's just NOW those cars (Role reversal, Porsches, Ferraris and Vipers) are the ones that look like they've got "The Anchor Out" when we come to those long, beautiful straight-a-ways on Roadracing courses!

Like they say; "Revenge is a dish, best served cold".