LS7 Dyno Results + Aftermarket Cams

That's why i hate european and japanese engines..

no power until you get it revved up to 7K rpm.. and then the power band is only 1000rpm wide.. takes 5 seconds to rev from 1000rpm to 7K because it needs a heavy flywheel to have any momentum or else it will stall on a hill, and big arse turbos to force the necessary air in to burn the fuel required for decent hp.. frickin sewing machines..

that ls7.. 450lb-ft of torque at 3K rpm.. .. the area under the torque curve is what matters, not a buzzy high water mark at 7K rpm.. unless you've got a cvt.. but really.. who wants to race with a cvt?

:mrgreen:
So, do I have the choice to actually WANT a small engine that revs high and only produces power at 7.000rpm? You are being just as idiotic. The LS7 is a great engine, no doubt about it, but what about taste? I LIKE small, revvy engines. I LIKE changing gears, I LIKE to squeeze out every last rpm of the engine. No wonder drivers in the USA love automatics and Harleys. And please note that I never said they're crap, I do like them, it's completely different.

exactly, mass and proper rod ratio = good response..

LS7 is a street legal emission approved motor for mass consumption.. it has to be reliable, and unlike ferrari engines or other hyper exotics, uses normal oil, don't require $7500 of maintenance at 30K intervals, and generally designed to last atleast 100K miles (160K km) before any major maintenance

and if you DO blow up the motor.. you walk into any GM dealer.. tell them you want part # 17802397, drop about $13K USD (about 9,900 euro) on the counter and have it drop shipped to your garage.. and be good for another 100K miles.

$/hp = $26USD / hp

your average turbo kit for an import engine.. your looking at $5K or so.. for what.. 100~150hp boost? mostly unreliable at that.

or more than $50USD/hp

a 550 maranello engine will run you $75K USD for 485hp.. or $136USD/hp BIG difference.. on an engine that requires major service at 30K

Oh please, Ferraris are more than an engine, and you know it. Calculating $/hp is just as stupid as Hp/Liter.

Last edited:
In America alot of people are fat and lazy and have automatics (raging slushboxes of doom 4 teh USA 4 EVA!). But us gearheads also love ramming gears and seeing the needle of our tachometer jump at the slightest touch of our throttles. 6 grand is a fairly high revving engine, giving that my V6 revved to 4500 rpm before it began to experience drop off. And yes there is ALOT more to a Ferrarri and a Porsche than power and handling. But really myself I dont need alot of the fancy gizmos offered by the two. Sure they probably make daily driving the car a hell of a lot easier, but I can live without them. And Im sorry but I really dont understand why leafsprings and using plastic peices on the interior make a car suddenly crap. :? I have sat in a Corvette before and it isnt uncomfortable and tacky as alot of reviews have said. Though I havent sat in a Porsche 911 turbo or Ferrarri Enzo either.

In America alot of people are fat and lazy and have automatics (raging slushboxes of doom 4 teh USA 4 EVA!).

You mean the stupid manufacturers who decide to only offer autotragics on their cars.. *cough* GM/Pontiac *cough*...

Ya that is true. But I am now and forever will be a fan of the Poncho Powerhouses. My Pontiac is from a time when automatic was optional. But alas, my car is a fairly high option car.

So, do I have the choice to actually WANT a small engine that revs high and only produces power at 7.000rpm? You are being just as idiotic. The LS7 is a great engine, no doubt about it, but what about taste? I LIKE small, revvy engines. I LIKE changing gears, I LIKE to squeeze out every last rpm of the engine. No wonder drivers in the USA love automatics and Harleys. And please note that I never said they're crap, I do like them, it's completely different.
I'm American and I have a 5-speed Honda and a 5-speed Miata, I don't watch NASCAR, I'm not fat, and I'd love to own a Triumph Daytona 675. Take your stereotypes somewhere else.

The Z06 only comes with a 6-speed so whats your point anyway?
Oh please, Ferraris are more than an engine, and you know it. Calculating $/hp is just as stupid as Hp/Liter.
He was giving prices of the engine itself, not the car.
You mean the stupid manufacturers who decide to only offer autotragics on their cars.. *cough* GM/Pontiac *cough*...
I'll make a list of GM cars that offer a manual transmission, just off the top of my head:
Cobalt
Ion
Sky
Solstice
G6
G5
Corvette
H3
9-2X
9-3
9-5
Silverado
Sierra
GTO
Aveo
CTS
Colorado

I'm American and I have a 5-speed Honda and a 5-speed Miata, I don't watch NASCAR, I'm not fat, and I'd love to own a Triumph Daytona 675. Take your stereotypes somewhere else.
It was a generalization, not a stereotype...don't be so touchy. I just mentioned Harleys and automatics and you played the fat and NASCAR cards. :?
Also, tell me if I'm wrong when talking about the AVERAGE USA resident when I said automatics are the common choice.
The Z06 only comes with a 6-speed so whats your point anyway?
Big torquey engines are best suited for automatic gearboxes. You don't need to change gears. Thank god the Z06 only comes with a 6-speed! Giving the supposed top-of-the-line sports car of America an auto box would be the pinnacle of stupidity.
He was giving prices of the engine itself, not the car.
And how that invalids my point?
I'll make a list of GM cars that offer a manual transmission, just off the top of my head:
Cobalt
Ion
Sky
Solstice
G6
G5
Corvette
H3
9-2X
9-3
9-5
Silverado
Sierra
GTO
Aveo
CTS
Colorado
Wow...you've got a pretty good memory.
Last time I checked there was a difference between "offered" and "sold".

Silverado/Sierra with a stick? That sounds like fun, actually.

Also, they don't make the GTO anymore. Doesn't the STS come with a manual as well?

G5 and Cobalt are the exact same; in fact, the G5 is one of the most pathetic, pointless rebadge efforts in recent history and doesn't deserve to exist, especially considering that it's not only uglier than the Cobalt but I've also never seen one before, anywhere. Internet marketing sure is backfiring for them, so STFU with the "Google Pontiac" gimmick, because who the hell doesn't use Google anyway? Clutching at straws, really. Ok, I'm done with that little side rant.

Still, I agree, American stereotypes are just as overplayed as the Oriental spoofs of a certain daytime talk show queen manbearpig.:p

G5 and Cobalt are the exact same; in fact, the G5 is one of the most pathetic, pointless rebadge efforts in recent history and doesn't deserve to exist, especially considering that it's not only uglier than the Cobalt but I've also never seen one before, anywhere.

The G5 has been Canada and Mexico only since 2005. I believe it was sold here first this year.

the STS doesnt come in a manual

Giving the supposed top-of-the-line sports car of America an auto box would be the pinnacle of stupidity.

But the majority of supercars are sold in semi-automatic trim. Enzo, anyone?

America's biggest supercars, the Ford GT, Dodge Viper, Corvette Z06, GT500... all come with 6speed manuals with no automatic option. In fact, BMW is going to offer a 6speed stick in the M5 just because of the large number of dissatisfied customers in the US.

I wouldn't call the idea that most Americans drive autos a stereotype, i'd call it reality. GM has definitely gotten better, but through most of the '90s you couldn't get a manual in half thier cars it seemed. I'm sure Ford and Dodge where the same. I'm talking about Malibus, Impalas, Monte Carlos, Sebrings, Intrepids, Taurus, etc etc.

I wouldn't call the idea that most Americans drive autos a stereotype, i'd call it reality. GM has definitely gotten better, but through most of the '90s you couldn't get a manual in half thier cars it seemed. I'm sure Ford and Dodge where the same. I'm talking about Malibus, Impalas, Monte Carlos, Sebrings, Intrepids, Taurus, etc etc.

Autos did sell much better and still do. The Taurus had a manual option for some time but it didn't sell so they dropped it.

This is a stupid fucking conversation. And I know you're going to try to weave it back into the OP somehow. Then declare yourself completely arbitrarily the absolute winnar of the internets. Arguments here are always so elementary. It'd be nice if a little research went into obviously wrong declarations. I'll be sure to never post something so controversial next time mindblowing acheivments occur.

Thats the reason I dont really like american engines. Big fat 10000 liter engine, and so little power, at so low rev... :?

X2

Semi-automatics are just faster than fully manual cars.

This is a stupid fucking conversation. And I know you're going to try to weave it back into the OP somehow. Then declare yourself completely arbitrarily the absolute winnar of the internets. Arguments here are always so elementary. It'd be nice if a little research went into obviously wrong declarations. I'll be sure to never post something so controversial next time mindblowing acheivments occur.
In one corner, there is people who want to marry the LS7/Z06 , because it weights as much as a Bigmac (mind you, it costs as much as one), delivers fuel economy close to a Prius and gives you 900hp with only a new exhaust.
On the other corner we have the people who can only say "OMGPUSHRODLEAFSPRINGZLOLZ!!!11!1" and dream of getting a Supra to upgrade it to 2000hp with a turbo the size of Rosie O'Donnel's ass because american cars are the suxors and can't go round corners with their plastic interiors.
They both deserve to ride buses the rest of their lives.

You do know there's a big difference between an automatic gearbox with the option of manually choosing gears and those sequential gearboxes used in cars like Ferraris, Lambos and so on, right? An automatic gearbox has a torque converter (along with all its drawbacks), while the the European sports cars/supercars still have a regular clutch. It's just electronically activated, not with your left foot.

Why can't we agree that cars are fun and there is enough room in this world for all kinds of them!!

BTW, someone said that the Z06 is a horrible car on the road, i won a testdrive in a Z06 and it's isn't as bad as JC says it is.. It's firm but not horrible.. And the roads around here are CRAP!!

*peace*