LS7 Dyno Results + Aftermarket Cams

But the majority of supercars are sold in semi-automatic trim. Enzo, anyone?

Oh cmon, supercar/sportscar with no clutch pedal?? The world is going mad... I hate these semi-automatic trannys. I dont know how you guys feel, but I love to shift up, shift down, blip the throttle... These semiauto's are taking this pleasure away from me. I dont give a shit if it shifts up 200ms faster, I want to shift!

Oh cmon, supercar/sportscar with no clutch pedal?? The world is going mad... I hate these semi-automatic trannys. I dont know how you guys feel, but I love to shift up, shift down, blip the throttle... These semiauto's are taking this pleasure away from me. I dont give a shit if it shifts up 200ms faster, I want to shift!

Amen, brother.

You do know there's a big difference between an automatic gearbox with the option of manually choosing gears and those sequential gearboxes used in cars like Ferraris, Lambos and so on, right? An automatic gearbox has a torque converter (along with all its drawbacks), while the the European sports cars/supercars still have a regular clutch. It's just electronically activated, not with your left foot.

Yes, I know there are good automatics and bad automatics, but they're all automatics in the end. They all require less driver interaction and take the fun out of driving.

A 997 911 Turbo Automatic is faster then a 6MT model. Same goes for the F430 F1 compared to the 6spd gate.

But those are all cars built for speed. Most of the cars sold in automatic form in the US are just for daily commuting/luxury. And a slushbox works better in those cars as well.

You've gotta be kidding me?! Peaky? 8000rpm is peaky. 6800 is pretty average medium speed engine unless you're used to tractor and truck engines!
yeah, 6800rpm is just medium...if you've got a bike that does 14,00RPM!

I wouldn't call the idea that most Americans drive autos a stereotype
I keep hearing this "statistic" but I fail to think of even one person that I know below the age of say 50, that drives an auto.

I think it's possible that this statistic was found by including fleet vehicles which are mostly autos.

Autos and the American market?

How many manual boxes do Aston Martin, Bentley, Mercedes, and Maserati offer combined?

One, in the AM V8.

Mercedes (on low-end cars) and Maserati (except the Quattroporte) offer manual gearboxes.

How many manual boxes do Aston Martin, Bentley, Mercedes, and Maserati offer combined?
Those aren't normal cars. In Finland every normal car comes with manual as standard, auto is optional. Probably it's the same in other european countries too. In US the situation seems to be the opposite.

It has probably something to do with the fact that cars are expensive here and no-one wants to pay extra for automatic.
Actually I think automatic is better in everyday driving. Manual is only better if you want to have fun with your car instead of just going from A to B. And if you want to go really fast around a circuit semi-automatic is the best choice.

Last edited:
Those aren't normal cars. In Finland every normal car comes with manual as standard, auto is optional. Probably it's the same in other european countries too. In US the situation is seems to be the opposite.

It's the same, and it can be hard to find a stick on a normal car in US, and even if you find one, you'll be discouraged by how hard it is too sell it. For cars with sporty pretensions it's easier though.

Well, look at it this way: When Ferarri made the Enzo, I'm sure their goal was to make it the fastest car they could make. Making it shift 200ms faster does that. Throwing in a manual could be considered handicapping it. Just the same as if they "detuned" the engine to produce 30 fewer horsepower so it would be easier and more familiar for people to drive.

*shrugs* Just the thought.

Oh, and isn't the Quatroporte technically still a manual, even though it's flappy padles?

Oh, and isn't the Quatroporte technically still a manual, even though it's flappy padles?

Maserati Cambiocorsa, Ferrari F1, BMW SMG, Aston Vanquish... are all automated manual gearboxes.

I keep hearing this "statistic" but I fail to think of even one person that I know below the age of say 50, that drives an auto.
You're lucky, everybody I know has an auto. Autos are more expensive here, it's a price to pay for the laziness convenience. There's only two or three people who drive a manual (and one of them's a girl, and that's hot :wicked:), everybody else I know doesn't care about cars at all. It's kind of depressing, I think I may need new friends. :p

One, in the AM V8.
... And the DB9, and the DBS, and the Vanquish /S. (Automated manual) I'm also sure the Maserati GranSport is available with a manual option next to the Cambiocorsa...

As for autos, they do have a place; I wouldn't want to have a manual in the Range Rover, neither in the Jaguar...

The only people i know who drive 5spd cars are gearheads like me everyone else uses a slushbox just because it's easier. what makes things worse is that a few of my friends have cars that would be genuinely entertaining if not for having an auto (audi S4 comes first to my mind)

... And the DB9, and the DBS, and the Vanquish /S. (Automated manual) I'm also sure the Maserati GranSport is available with a manual option next to the Cambiocorsa...

As for autos, they do have a place; I wouldn't want to have a manual in the Range Rover, neither in the Jaguar...

I think the Grandsports come only with Cambiocorsa, and only the Coup? and Spyder offer manual.

The only people i know who drive 5spd cars are gearheads like me everyone else uses a slushbox just because it's easier. what makes things worse is that a few of my friends have cars that would be genuinely entertaining if not for having an auto (audi S4 comes first to my mind)

In my area, only tuners, asiatics, europeans and gearheads drive manual.

:lmao: Totally.

Seriously I'm waiting for the 'shopped pic of the Alfa running over Rosie O'Don'tknowwhentoshutmymouth to be your sig.

Oh, the things I do for you No Boss. It's because I love you.
:wub:

Last edited:
This is a stupid fucking conversation. And I know you're going to try to weave it back into the OP somehow. Then declare yourself completely arbitrarily the absolute winnar of the internets. Arguments here are always so elementary. It'd be nice if a little research went into obviously wrong declarations. I'll be sure to never post something so controversial next time mindblowing acheivments occur.

You are way to sensitive and way to easily. This does not bode well for your future as a racecar driver unless you want to be like the NASCAR drivers who throw their helmets at other competitors.

One, in the AM V8.

You can get a manual in some C-classes and in some SLKs. Bentley is a pure luxury brand I wouldn't expect them to offer a manual. Mazerati does offer manuals in some models as many people have pointed out.

Last edited:
Oh, so Automatics are completely unacceptable for commuting machines, but ok in luxury cars?

I wouldn't want my chauffeur to get a leg cramp driving me around mid-town Manhattan thats for sure.

That is just a workman comps claim I don't want to deal with.

Well honestly I love myself a Manual. My Tracker is just about as fun as my Sunbird just because it has a clutch. And the thing about the Autos in the Enzos and such, I think that if they are such great cars, you should be a good driver and be able to shift it accordingly. Giving it a hydrolic(SP?) cluctch and a easily bangable gearbox should make it so people could ram gears as wanted, and keep them out of the hands of lazy idiots. And to comment on the poeple who have a problem with American engines making such "Little" power at such "Low" rpm, look at the HP numbers sorrounding that RPM, they arent different. In these really high revving engines with the DOHC and VVT and etc etc dont have as broad bands of power to use. Its a low RPM but from idle to redline its pure power.