Lumina SS Spied In Detriot With Manufacturer's Plates

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
http://img247.imageshack.**/img247/6951/attachmenttl8.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.**/img247/3166/attachmentzq3.jpg

Video: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/de2b1091-ef6d-4538-a3f2-98270155f55c.htm

Spied: 400hp Lumina SS (american version) I was going to work at my airport when I saw something odd pass me on the oncoming lane. I knew Ive seen this before, somewhere else, ...then I realized... Its a commodore! In detroit! WTF? I blew a U-turn and followed it, and then saw that it was a Lumina SS, the same thing thats sold in the middle east, but this had a boxier front end, left hand drive, and a Michigan manufacturer's plate. I tried to get in front of it, but he wouldnt let me, and quickly ran to GM's over-run/ reject/ test car storage facility down the road...which happened to be gated. All I got was a couple pics of the back and this video. This thing looks sweet, and it was fast as hell too. Hope they are planning on selling it here in the states.

Good news.

I saw this earlier and I was gonna post it... good thing I didn't it's more your thing anyway haha :p

The car pictured is nothing to get overly excited over. Its the very last of a very old platform that has just been replaced. It sit on top of a 9-year old chassis. Thats not a bad thing however - it's the same chassis that the boys at Top Gear loved in the Monaro. But its just been replaced by an all new one - the VE Commodore.

The VE Commodore SS-V (that's the 6.0L V8 one) is going to the States. You can read about that move here:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?p=296629#296629

This is the one you 'Yanks are getting. I hope you get a nice quota and I also hope Pontiac don't screw it up. (Chevy Lumina's are what they are badged in the Middle East which is why its weird to see it in America)

Here's one big jpeg which shows you everything:
VE%20SS%20V.jpg

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
(Chevy Lumina's are what they are badged in the Middle East which is why its weird to see it in America)
Not that werid, the Lumina name was used here in the 1990s as a FWD platform that shared platform with numerous other GM brands, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, and others. The Lumina was also the basis for Chevy's NASCAR program durring the same period. The average American wouldn't think twice if they saw a Chevy badged as a Lumina.

Made In the USA said:
(Chevy Lumina's are what they are badged in the Middle East which is why its weird to see it in America)
Not that werid, the Lumina name was used here in the 1990s, and was the basis for Chevy's NASCAR program durring the same period.
Maybe he meant for that particular model/generation *shrug*

My personal hope is that GM is bringing them over and giving them a small update as an interim between now and the forthcoming Zeta cars.

Thinking doesn't get any more wishful than that haha.

I meant weird to see a CHEVY Lumina. I know the Lumina badge was used there before but CHEVY Lumina is the Middle Eastern badging for this car. I would have expected this to be spy shots of a Pontiac or something.

skaternick said:
My personal hope is that GM is bringing them over and giving them a small update as an interim between now and the forthcoming Zeta cars.

Thinking doesn't get any more wishful than that haha.

The new VE is a Zeta car :p

It'd be highly unlikely to bring that car over (which I'm guessing was a VZ, didn't see the front, though), since that's just been replaced.

Isn't it also sold as a Chevy Lumina in South Africa?

Made In the USA said:
Not that werid, the Lumina name was used here in the 1990s as a FWD platform that shared platform with numerous other GM brands, Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Regal, and others. The Lumina was also the basis for Chevy's NASCAR program durring the same period. The average American wouldn't think twice if they saw a Chevy badged as a Lumina.
I remember our Chevy Lumina that we used to have. It was...a car. (No story behind that, I just felt like mentioning that we used to own a Lumina. :p)

It's coming as a Pontiac, isn't it? Possibly as the G8 to replace the Bonneville. Though if they badged it as a Chevy Lumina it'd be a rare case of taking a crappy old badge and making it great, as opposed to taking a great old badge and making it crappy as GM's done countless times before.

I meant weird to see a CHEVY Lumina. I know the Lumina badge was used there before but CHEVY Lumina is the Middle Eastern badging for this car. I would have expected this to be spy shots of a Pontiac or something.
The Lumina badge has always been under the Chevrolet name in North America...
Deanodriver said:
The new VE is a Zeta car :p

It'd be highly unlikely to bring that car over (which I'm guessing was a VZ, didn't see the front, though), since that's just been replaced.
Yea I know it is, but we don't have that in North America, and our Zeta based cars aren't looking like they'll be available until '08 at the very earliest, which is why I said what I said.

The Lumina badge has always been under the Chevrolet name in North America...

I think he meant it shouldve been badged a Pontiac GTO or something, not that it should be called a Pontiac Lumina(Heaven Forbid)

Well we've already seen how Americans respond to a car labeled as a GTO that doesn't completely fulfil their expectations of that nameplate, so releasing a 4-door and calling it that would basically be suicidal.

Personally i think they should rebadge em all Holdens and then sell em, sounds better... :unsure:

blaydexi said:
Personally i think they should rebadge em all Holdens and then sell em, sounds better... :unsure:
:thumbsup:

And the badge looks better too!
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/GTBMad/1dcd3648.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/GTBMad/875d6680.jpg

can't wait to see that in your mirror on the highway, that is a fierce car... starting to like the new commodore more and more, hopefully I'll get to see it on the road soon

blaydexi said:
:thumbsup:

And the badge looks better too!
1dcd3648.jpg

875d6680.jpg
i agree because then it wouldnt have a pontiac or chevy badge :p ;) :mrgreen:

chevy are gonna screw this car up quarenteed. Whenever GM get their hands on a car that was designed abroad they always manage to fuck it up once they stick their american GM badge (ie pontiac chevy) on it. :bangin:

youngwarrior said:
chevy are gonna screw this car up quarenteed. Whenever GM get their hands on a car that was designed abroad they always manage to fuck it up once they stick their american GM badge (ie pontiac chevy) on it. :bangin:

Actually not, most likely. The GTO failed because it looked like a round bean, something the Australian Ford Falcon had in common. A muscle car is not round, it is sharp, angular, and rough looking. GM knows that now.

theres some more aswell that GM managed to mess up by molesting the suspension setup making it too soft and then the car losing its poise etc.

I bet GM fuck up the aura.